Mario Kart Wii Update

TGBoy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo shows off first playable version of Mario's next racer

Mario Kart Wii is not due out for a few months yet, but US magazine Nintendo Power has already had a go and the feedback is promising.

Following confusion over how many players will be in a race in the new game, NP confirms that the game will feature 12-player racing online, with an improved version of Mario Kart DS' matchmaking system that should get you into races far quicker than the portable could manage.

Performing stunts, as seen in previously released screenshots, will have its rewards, and although NP says it's too early to confirm what these rewards are yet, we're guessing it'll be a small speed boost on landing.

Classic items like Koopa shells, lightning bolts and mushrooms will return along with a selection of still undisclosed new weapons. 16 new courses will be in there, along with some old favourites. NP was also positive about the new motion control steering system - something that worries us to death.

"You hold the Wii-mote in both hands with the buttons facing you (and that's how it'll fit into the steering-wheel accessory). Then you turn the wheel left or right. If you tilt it steeply, you'll make a sharp turn. A gentle dip will ease you to one side. Buttons control acceleration, braking, and item use," NP explains, saying it controls “smoothly.”

The article fails to reveal other crucial facts, like if karts hop on powerslides, or if snaking is possible.

Mario Kart Wii has been dated by Nintendo, who confirm that the colourful racer will arrive in the second-quarter of 2008, alongside a new steering wheel peripheral for the console.

Source

gambit420

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Quote:
The article fails to reveal other crucial facts, like if karts hop on powerslides, or if snaking is possible.

I know that there will be a big noob outcry over snaking, but i am 100% shure that it will be in. Eaven saw it in the vids they released! I'm so looking forward to this, online will be a blast. Hopefully the but hard to beat staff ghosts in it!
GO NINTENDO!!!!!

Pigwooly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quote:

I know that there will be a big noob outcry over snaking, but i am 100% shure that it will be in. Eaven saw it in the vids they released! I'm so looking forward to this, online will be a blast. Hopefully the but hard to beat staff ghosts in it!
GO NINTENDO!!!!!

I'm sure power sliding will be in it, but I really hope you won't be able to just snake down the whole course. They already said they're taking wavedashing out of Smash Bros. because they never intended that to happen in the first place. And in terms of noobs complaining about snaking, I've been playing Mario Kart since the day the first one came out for the SNES and I hate snaking. And it's not that I can't snake, I can, but I think it makes the game outright boring to play. Snaking is a new part of the series, that wasn't possible in the classic Mario Kart titles so aren't snakers the noobs?

I'm a little nervous about the tricks thing. Anybody have any news on how that's going to work or on if the rumored animals are going to be in there? Perhaps the tricks thing suggests more jumps? I always thought Mario Kart could use some more jumps and some more courses like that mountain level from Double Dash where you shoot out of cannons and stuff.

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds and looks awesome so far. The motorcycles look cool, and the fact that you can do tricks like the wheelie with the motorcycle and a 360 on your cart....awesome!
This game is definetly top on the list for a must buy game. Unless I get a mod (cough) which is another thing.
Matter fact I will most likely just buy it. Not because there maybe issues with firmware versions, protection to prevent DVD-R's from being played etc.
Just because Nintendo should be supported for the good games they provide and my conscience says its the right thing to do lol.

See ya online fellow gamers, the race is on.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All I care about is that they bring the battle system from Mario Kart 64 back in full swing. That was by far my favorite part of the game.

QFT
grog.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't forget the classic blue shells just before you reach the finish lines.

12 players online. What happens if one drops out I wonder?

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

They should replace the dropped person with a CPU and all racers should have ranks, so when the CPU is put in, it will have a difficulty setting that matches the skill of that racer.

They should but I highly doubt Nintendo is going to put that much effort into the online mode.
Hopefully they do, but I don't see it happenning.

Also I just read the bit about motion control steering, I'm not liking the sound of that.
hate2.gif

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

They should replace the dropped person with a CPU and all racers should have ranks, so when the CPU is put in, it will have a difficulty setting that matches the skill of that racer.

They should but I highly doubt Nintendo is going to put that much effort into the online mode.
Hopefully they do, but I don't see it happenning.

Also I just read the bit about motion control steering, I'm not liking the sound of that.
hate2.gif

haha you are most certainly right.

Nintendo needs a good team working on all the online portion of the games.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Smasbros.com said:
By the way, have you ever had an experience in which your opponent was disconnected, and the match never came to fruition? Like when you started with four players, but ended up with only one?

I don’t like that feeling, so I’ve tried to counter it.

If you get cut off, your character will get taken over by the CPU without your opponents even knowing—it pinch hits for you!

That’s epic! Can we really do this? Wouldn’t you say it’s way better than having all your opponents drop out?

Just so you guys know..

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi04.html

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quote:

GO NINTENDO!!!!!
i didnt see any snaking in the video's. ill garentee you'll be able to snake, but whether its effictive or not is the question.
and the staff ghosts are piss easy
nyanya.gif

and that motion control thing is going to be its downfall.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The game looks great, but I really hope that snaking will not be included.
hmm.. Its debatable, but even if its not included (which Im sure they will try to not make MTs so easy) there is going to be atleast SOMTHING to set the pro's aside from the girls. If there isnt, the fun isnt going to last as long and people will grow tired of everyone being at the same skill leval. Like Diddy Kong Racing, thats a pretty cool game but on wifi everyone is the same. Theres no techniques to go any faster than the average joe. You could lose to some shmuck that started playing 2 hours ago.. thats not fun. thats online died after the first month and no one plays it anymore... people are still playing the very first MK. Every MK has had somthing to keep the game still entertaining after 10 years..

If snakings not in MKwii, your lieing to yourself if you think everyones going to be in the same skill leval.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hii