Mario Kart Wii - Unlockables.

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by armand66, Apr 11, 2008.

Apr 11, 2008

Mario Kart Wii - Unlockables. by armand66 at 5:01 AM (92,339 Views / 0 Likes) 114 replies

1. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

Just thought i'd put together a topic so that those looking to unlock the characters they want can do so with a bit of ease. Some of this is taken from other sites including gamefaqs. There are other ways of unlocking some of these karts, characters and bikes, once gotten confirmation from multiple sources will add them to the list. The Rosalina one, isn't 100%, i went and made a Galaxy save, but this was after i had completed all the games cups, when i went back into the game, she was there. So she is linked to the Galaxy save file, just not 100% sure if you unlock her through 50cc.

I have yet to get 1 star on 150cc All retro Grand Prix Cups (2 cups to go) and don't have 1 star on all cups for mirror grand or retro. Chances are, some of those, not sure which, unlock the missing two karts. Or, it's possible, getting 32 expert time trial ghosts unlocked might do something as well.

Starting Characters
    Baby Mario
    Baby Peach
    Toad
    Koopa
    Mario
    Luigi
    Yoshi
    Peach
    Wario
    Waluigi
    Donkey Kong
    Bowser

Unlockable Characters:
    King Boo - Win 50cc Star Cup
    Diddy Kong - Win all 50cc Cups
    Baby Daisy - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 50cc Wii Grand Prix Cups
    Mii (Outfit A) - Win 100cc Special Cup
    Mii (Outfit B) - Unlock 32 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
    Dry Bones - Win 100cc Leaf Cup
    Bowser Jr. - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 100cc Retro Grand Prix Cups
    Daisy - Win 150cc Special Cup
    Dry Bowser - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 150cc Wii Grand Prix Cups
    Funky Kong - Unlock 4 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
    Baby Luigi - Unlock 8 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials
    Birdo - Play Time Trials on 16 different courses/Get 250 wins online
    Toadette - Play Time Trials on all 32 different courses
    Rosalina - With a Super Mario Galaxy save, win a series of Grand Prix cups/Without Galaxy save, Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all Mirror Grand Prix Cups

Unlockable Karts:
    Cheep Charger (small kart) - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 50cc Retro Grand Prix Cups
    Blue Falcon (small kart) - Win Mirror Lightning Cup
    Rally Romper (small kart) - Unlock 1 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials

Turbo Blooper (medium kart) - Win 50cc Leaf Cup
    Royal Racer (medium kart) - Win 150cc Leaf Cup
    B-dasher mk2 - Unlock 24 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials

Piranha Prowler (large kart) - Win 50cc Special Cup
    Dragonetti (large kart) - Win 150cc Lightning Cup
    Aero Glider (large kart) - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all Retro Grand Prix Cups

Unlockable Bikes:
    Quacker (small bike) - Win 150cc Star Cup
    Bubble Bike (small bike) - Win Mirror Leaf Cup
    Magikruiser (small bike) - Play Time Trials on 8 different courses

Rapide (medium bike) - Win 100cc Lightning Cup
    Nitrocycle (medium bike) - Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 100cc Wii Grand Prix Cups
    Dolphin Dasher (medium bike) - Win Mirror Star Cup

Twinkle Star (large bike) - Win 100cc Star Cup
    Phantom (large bike) - Win Mirror Special Cup
    Torpedo (large bike) - Unlock 12 Expert Staff Ghost Data in Time Trials

Misc Unlockables:
    Picture option to send to Wii Message Board - Complete all 8 Cups in a class
    Karts & Bikes (50cc) - Earn trophies in all 50cc Grand Prix Cups
    Karts & Bikes (100cc) - Earn trophies in all 100cc Grand Prix Cups
    Mirror Class - Win all 150cc Cups
    Alternate Title Screen - Win all Cups

I recommend anyone new to the game, go into time trials, and unlock Funky, Baby Luigi and Birdo early on, the regular Nintendo Ghosts are easy to beat, the expert ghosts you unlock, are pretty nuts though.

2. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Only thing I'm interested in are the other Mii outfits... Anyone know how to get 'em? [​IMG]

EDIT: Also, I have gold on all cups on all cc and I have a Mario Galaxy save but DON'T have Rosalina yet...

3. mikagami

Member mikagami GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Probably because you have a Europe copy of Mario Kart Wii and a USA save of Galaxy.

4. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    That is exactly right ... no mixing and matching [​IMG]

5. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    That makes sense. [​IMG] I forget I'm playing a European copy since on WiFi it shows me in the USA correctly.

6. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

As Bob and Mika said, that sounds about right, can't mix and match saves from different territories.

My 120 stars save of Mario Galaxy, was the USA version. I had forgotten, and couldn't understand why it didn't unlock rosalina.

So, i went and played the PAL version, started a save file, went back into Mario Kart, and Voila, Rosalina unlocked. (Had done all cups at that point for all speeds)

7. hey_suburbia

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
    Nice list, I was actually in the middle of doing this myself.

8. MCorbet

Newcomer MCorbet Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for the list I have gold trophys on all 50cc Courses.

Some Rank A some Rank C and one Rank *

Is that what you mean by "Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 50cc Wii Grand Prix Cups"

And is it possible to see what rank you got al what course ??

9. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

Yeah thats right, Star rank, or *, or **, or *** is what you need. So "Attain at least 1 Star Rank for all 50cc Wii Grand Prix Cups" means getting a * Minimum for Mushroom, Flower, Star and Special cups.

Rankings are seemingly based on your overall time at the end of the cup, so, the quicker you get through it, more chance of getting a * etc.

Sadly, you can't see what your rank is after each course, only at the end of a cup run. I'm sure in the next week or two, people will have posted the "overall" times you need to get *, **, *** on each of the speeds, as they did with the previous few games.

Getting a * on each of the 150cc Grand Prix Cups, well, can be either really frustrating (2 cups gave me some trouble) or really easy (went through star without being hit by a blue lol) .

10. MCorbet

Newcomer MCorbet Advanced Member

Netherlands
    First of all I'm going to do the 32 time trials. I suppose you just have to drive them to unlock Toadette. At home they want to drive with toadette. [​IMG]. Because I always drive toad and it wins most of the times. My son wants to drive toadette. lol

11. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

Hehe, yeh, i'd unlocked everyone bar the time trial characters, when i realized that 2 of them came so easy (16 time trials, 32 time trials) and the other two were also fairly easy (unlock 4 expert ghosts, 8 expert ghosts) i raced through em lol.

Good to have a complete roster, even if i wont be using em all heh.

12. Mooshywooshy

Member Mooshywooshy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sweet List! But I seem to have unlocked Toadette and the Rally Romper just by simply turning on the game [​IMG]

13. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

You've unlocked Toadette, NOT Toad, by simply turning on the game, and the rally romper, all the first time?

VERY interesting. (There is multiple ways to unlock toons)

Ok, what save data, from Nintendo games you got on your console dude lol.

14. Mooshywooshy

Member Mooshywooshy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh nono this wasnt the first time I turned on the game, i'd say it was maybe the 5th time and I unlocked the romper, and toadette was unlocked a few later, maybe 10 times?
    It must be a time spent type of thing, i got these unlocks on boot up a lot in Brawl

15. OmerMe

Member OmerMe GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    God I suck so much.. I can't beat the normal ghost data x__x
    I won only 2 races against the normal ghost data, but I havn't got any expert data, just mine
    And about Rosalina, I have a PAL galaxy save file, and I got her after finishing all 50cc cups(Lighting cup)

16. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

I think there has to be something more to it than time played Mooshy, only coz i'd finished 50cc all gold, 100cc all gold, 150cc all gold, and mirror all gold, and still hadn't unlocked toadette at the time lol.

The official guide is now out in stores in the UK from what i've heard, wont take long for someone to come online with all the other ways to unlock peeps.

17. [Truth]

Member [Truth] GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    nice guide.

a note for unlocking rosalina:
    i didnĀ“t get her although i had a mario galaxy save on my wii.
    then i collected a star in mario galaxy, saved, and the next time i booted up mario kart i got a message rosalina was unlocked.

18. armand66
    OP

armand66 Newbie

That's strange, i have no stars in Mario Galaxy and got Rosalina unlocked, after simply starting up a save file, then going back into the game.

Interesting..... (some people claim to have gotten a message on their wii, saying heres a present from Mario Galaxy to you, and then they have Rosalina...

19. hey_suburbia

Member hey_suburbia Do The Lizard Bop

United States
    One for the list:
    Aero Glider (large kart) - Win all 150cc Retro Grand Prix Cups

20. tredes

Member tredes GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    okay, i know im lazy...does anyone wanna upload a saved game file with all unlocked(to this date)...ahaha to save me some time and effort...i dont really wana have to spend hours unlocking everything...the games mainly for online and for with mates...

thanks