Mario Kart Wii issue with USB Loader GX

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by balteck, Apr 12, 2015.

1. balteck
    OP

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    I've softmodded my WiiU 5.3.2 successfully. Then I applied only the cIOS d2x v10 beta52 on slot 249-250-251.

Now i'm using USB Loader GX started from HBC, because I'm not trusting myself to install forwarders channels (I don't want to brick my console).

I'm using NAND and SAVE with emulation set to full.
    All works good, but Mario Kart Wii and Dead Space Extraction.

Mario Kart Wii:
    If I start the game from DVD on real vWii, I can save and play without problem. I don't see new channels on my dashboard
    If I start the game from USB (i've ripped the DVD in all 3 methods: only game partition, remove updates and all partitions), I can save and play without problem, but I see a blank channel called RMCP on the dashboard of USB Loader GX. If I try to start it, USB Loader GX exits on vWii dashboard.

I know that Mario Kart uses a mix of Channel + Save and I think that it is a part of the Mario Kart Channel. So I tried to start Mario Kart Wii USB rip and in options to install Mario Kart Channel.
    Mario Kart Wii ripped with only game partition and remove updates options does nothing, while the all partitions rip starts installation, but after few seconds, it appears a black screen with this message:

An error has occurred. press the eject button,
    remove the game disk, and turn off the power to
    the console. please read the wii operations
    manual for further instructions.

And the only option that I have is unplug the power cord to turn off the WiiU

If I try to delete the channel from USB Loader GX Dashboard, I lose the save game inside Mario Kart Wii.
    I din't try to install Mario Kart Wii Channel from DVD on vWii, because I don't know if it compatible with vWii.

Is it possible to hide this blank channel from USB Loader GX dashboard (like vWii does with original DVD) or to install Mario Kart Wii Channel to have a working channel and not a blank one?
    Toggle emuNAND channels filteris not an option, because I have some WiiWare installed on emuNAND.

Dead Space Extraction:

The game works good, but when it creates a save, it gives me error writing savefile

Any hints?

TIA

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    The channel on the "dashboard" like you call it shouldn't be blank.
    If it's blank then there's a problem with the ISO.
    Exiting to System menu when launching a game = Bad ISO or bad cIOS or not enough USB power.

Don't install the mario kart Channel, you don't need it and can't use it if you don't use the disc.
    If you want to install the channel anyway, do it from the real Disc launched from the disc channel, or disable emuNAND. Don't use EmuNAND ON when installing the channel or it will mess the place where it should be installed

Also, EmuNAND doesn't work with all games.
    try using RealNAND first to be sure the game works.

3. balteck
    OP

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    Thank you very much.

I don't wish to install Mario Kart Channel, I tried it thinking to fix the blank channel marked RMCP on the USB Loader GX and I discovered that installation hangs WiiU.

I prefer to find how to hide this strange channel.

Follow 2 images about the issue. The blank channel (marked RMCP) is the top left

channel_open.jpg dashboard.jpg

4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Click on the channel, click settings, then go to the Uninstall menu option and you can remove it from your emunand folder. Just choose the option to uninstall the game only if you're using emunand for saves. "Uninstall all" will remove the channel, the banner and any saves. (You don't want that if you're saving to EmuNAND.)

5. balteck
    OP

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    I did it before posting, but it deleted also the savegame.

6. balteck
    OP

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    I tried what Cyan suggested:

both Mario Kart Wii and Dead Space Extraction have the NANDemu set to OFF in own settings now and the problem disappeared.

Mario Kart Wii creates save on RealNAND without show a blank/fake channel on vWii Dashboard and USB loader GX doesn't show the blank/fake channel.
    I ripped the DVD from USB Loader GX 5 times with all partitions settings, so I think that it is not a bad ISO (on HDD i see only a wbfs file, not a ISO file, anyway)
    Dead Space Extraction saves correctly without warnings.

It seems better to use the RealNAND for saving, so what is the advantage of using saves on EmuNAND?
    And is it better partial or full emulation?

Is it possible to add a category DO NOT show in USB Loader GX? So I can put here the channel like this one or the system channel that not have a cover, like "Return to WIIU menu"?

7. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It shouldn't delete the savegame if you don't use EmuNAND save.
    Deleting a game doesn't delete the save data as it's stored on the console.

I think I understand what's your problem now :

The channel creates itself again because you use EmuNAND.

Wii games which have the ability to install channels (mario kart, wiifit, raving rabids) are saving in the same path than their "installed channel".
    Maybe the loader is seeing the created folder where your save is located and generate an animated banner entity, but doesn't find any banner file to display.

There's a way to hide channels, but as it uses the same TitleID than the game itself, you will also hide the game and won't be able to launch it unless you use the Disc.
    I will see if there's a way to not generate an entity for saves without banners.
    OR you can place a banner animation file in the folder on your EmuNAND if you only want to not have an empty one.

installing/dumping the game to HDD doesn't fix your issue?
    Both the game and the save are using the same titleID, so it should use the cached banner file (.bnr) for any title found with that ID.

Or you can also disable "EmuNAND channel" option in the 4th icon at the top if you don't want to see channels/Wiiware/VC.

8. balteck
    OP

balteck Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Italy
    Great Cyan! You are explained technically my problem:

"The Loader is seeing the created folder where your save is located and generate an animated banner entity, but doesn't find any banner file to display."

I give you another information: the banner for the game is named RMCP01 and the missing banner should be RMCP, because the blank channel show me this TitleID. Infact If I delete the RMCP channel, I remove only the savegame, but not the game.

Now I can create a RMCP banner copied from RMCP01 banner in the cache, but the result it will be to have 2 same animation banner, where one works (the game) and one not (the channel save) and an useless object on screen.

You told that there is a way to hide channels: How to?
    Disable EmuNAND Channel globally is not an option, because I have some Wiiware titles

Any hints about advantages of using EmuNAND saves (partial or full), because I'm using emulation off for save game now as workaround.

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    The only advantage at using EmuNAND saves is to not be limited with NAND size/free blocs, OR to be able to play on another console and keep your progress with you.
    You can enable EmuNAND save globaly, and disable it individually only for this game if you really want to keep using it. (and for games with issues with emuNAND like Zelda and probably the other one you told me)

You are saying that you have two different Title listed for Mario kart?
    The dumped game ISO and the EmuNAND save?
    I thought Channels was also removing duplicated entries if a game was already using the same titleID.
    I will see if there's a way to do that (and load ISO first, or else it will list the empty banner first and don't display the game itself)

There's a way to hide entries based on their TitleID.
    If you hide the empty banner, it will hide all entries with "RMCP" as TitleID, so it will also hide your ISO's entry.

But if you want to know how to filter Titles, I'll link to the guide here:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-778#post-4251265
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/page-776#post-4233463

balteck likes this.