Mario Kart Wii coming to the NVIDIA Shield in China, will have online multiplayer

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 3, 2018.

Front-page
    gboU5Rn.

Earlier this year, we saw the release of Super Mario Galaxy for the Nvidia Shield, at least for those in China. The official port boasted features like upscaled graphics and replaced higher resolution assets. Other Wii titles like The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Punch Out were all announced for the platform in that region, as well. Then, during ChinaJoy 2018, Nvidia's booth was shown having a playable demo for Mario Kart Wii.

This will mark the first official release of the game in China, but perhaps a more interesting fact revealed was that this version of Mario Kart Wii will also support online multiplayer for up to 12 players. Of course, the Wii version had online multiplayer when it launched a decade ago, but since the Nintendo Wii's online services are shut down, you can no longer access the original servers on original hardware. Mario Kart Wii for NVIDIA Shield will also be rendered in full 1080p, and if you own it, and Super Mario Galaxy, you can unlock Rosalina instantly, much like you could in the original.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (90 replies)
  1. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Now we're getting weird.

2. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I'd already read this news, but contrary to here they said that there would be no Online multiplayer, however from your source its pretty clear that it'll have it. Nintendo must be using some new servers for it?

x65943 likes this.
  3. Elemi

Elemi The laser is tew stronge!

Feb 29, 2012
    United Kingdom
    England
    >Hackers spoil the game even more since they know all the game's secret booty already.

GilgameshArcher and Jiehfeng like this.
  4. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Wonder if someone will release a hack for Mario Kart Wii (or Dolphin patch if needed) to make it able to connect to this servers. On the other hand I assume the servers all will be somewhere in China, if that's worth the hassle ping-wise.

Last edited by VitaType, Aug 3, 2018
    GilgameshArcher likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So when will these games be coming to other countries? I mean unless china isn't selling enough Switch systems or something. :blink:

* has both nvidia shield tv and switch * Are they even gonna be making wii ports to the switch? :unsure:

6. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Why just China :(

I would love to replay Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart!

7. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    This is just Nintendo trying to break China legitimately, good business move

8. gman666

gman666 Cubicle Expert

Jun 4, 2011
    United States
    a cubicle
    I don't understand how this isn't currently affecting how we emulate wii and gamecube games on devices like the shield. Shouldn't developers be able to analyze dumped apk like this and imrove emulators like dolphin? We have yet to see smooth gameplay for Twilight Princess even though we've had the chinese apk for sometime now. Can someone explain? Is any of the dolphin developers looking at this?

9. Carnelian

Carnelian .

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    Because Nintendo. (or NVIDIA)

KiiWii likes this.
  10. B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N I'm better than you I think

Jun 7, 2016
    Antarctica
    Hell
    Interesting to see that these are actual ports with touched-up textures, on an NVIDIA Shield of all things. I can kind of see the reason behind the exclusivity in China, but it feels weird to not release these ports anywhere else, even in their own home country of Japan.

Ah, well. I guess I'll stick to emulating the original hardware for now.

VatoLoco, gman666 and KiiWii like this.
  11. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I have difficulties understanding how this even works in China. I mean clearly people must have heard about the Switch? Imagine if all the kids in the neighborhood are playing on their Shields and playing Mario Galaxy. Then this kid shows up with an (probably illegally) imported Switch and shows them Mario Odyssey. That's a jump of 2 generations of consoles (kinda)! It's like going back in time and showing off some games from the future..

Last edited by Zense, Aug 3, 2018
  12. MarkDarkness

MarkDarkness Deliverator

GBAtemp Patron
    MarkDarkness is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 17, 2009
    Poland
    I am curious: do they replace motion controls for standard input?

13. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    is getting nvidia shield really worth buying?
    I mean, I have a Switch, I have a powerfull PC
    What would be the use of a shield for me?

14. Zense

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    Yes, I believe Digital Foundry did a test where the wii motion controls for Mario Galaxy was controled by the second analog stick, which was kinda hard to do when you're trying to point at those comets or whatever they're called..

Last edited by Zense, Aug 3, 2018
  15. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    So has anyone figured out yet how to install those china-shield games on the regular Shield TV?

Red771 and KiiWii like this.
  16. KiiWii

KiiWii Contributor

pip Contributor
    Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I wish, been scouring xda-developers and reddit for weeks and no ones cracked them. Only way is to import a Chinese shield tv and download legitly...

MarkDarkness likes this.
  17. VitaType

VitaType GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 16, 2016
    Germany
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand... Yes. Said kid and his family just got major problems with there social score. Daddy lost his job and the family isn't allowed anymore to travel outside of China. Great. A great job. Why did you send this poor kid this illegal hardware to China? You're a monster! :P

18. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Only shield tv? I’m so sad that my k1 tablet won’t be getting this, because x1 I know. Can’t complain too much though, I’m rocking my switch and clickity clack with the buttons.

19. Ericjwg

Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 2, 2015
    Canada
    for ppl interested in mk series, they will play mk8d on switch....:ph34r:
    for those dont want to pay extra money, dolphin/cemu ftw.:)
    very chinese way

GensokyoIceFairy likes this.