Mario Kart Tour will have a closed beta on Android devices, registration now open

Mario-Kart-Tour_04-24-19.jpg

Although Mario Kart Tour was supposed to already be released by now, before it received a delay to "summer 2019", you won't have to wait long to play it. That is, if you're lucky enough to be chosen for the closed beta and use an Android device. Nintendo will be hosting a "limited closed beta" for Mario Kart Tour, which will allow Japanese and North American players to help bug-test the game prior to launch. If you're interested, you have until May 7th to register on the official website and have a chance at being randomly selected to take part. The beta itself will take place from May 22nd to June 4th. Requirements to play involve having a device that is running Android 4.4 or later, has at least 1.5GB of RAM, and must be a phone, not a tablet.

About

The closed beta test is a test of an application under development and is held for customers in order to improve the quality of the game. Furthermore, the number of customers who may participate in this test is limited. If the number of applications exceeds the number of possible participants, we will randomly select the participants.

Application Schedule

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 to Tuesday, May 7, 2019 at 7:59 p.m. PT

Beta-Test Schedule

Planned for Wednesday, May 22, 2019 to Tuesday, June 4, 2019 PT

Note: Dates may change without prior notice.

Supported Countries

Japan, United States

Supported OS

Android

Note: Excludes certain devices

Other

We will not respond to inquiries regarding the content or implementation of the closed beta test.

In-game purchases are not available during the beta test.

:arrow: Source

x65943

hunger games round 29 big booba winner
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont agree with the downfall of iPhone in Japan at all.
I work (also in Japan about half of the year) in industry connected with some of the on Japanese telecommunication companies (mainly Softbank and NTT).
2018 data shows around 15% decrease in iPhone sales but that is mainly due to the similarity of the new models compared to 2017 (XS vs X).
Based on my speculations 9 out of 10 people in hlets call it) “Younger” population (15-40 years old) has ios device. The rest have mainly Sony models.

As for the older people (50 plus), many of them still use “galapagos” style phones (aka flip phones) because old habits die hard and theres your big portion of Sharp, Kyocera, Hitachi etc and some other manufacturers (these do indeed have smartphone models too, but they dont sell that well).

Apple supports Japan very well too in both applications (maps, siri, appstore etc) and services (subs, applepay, various discounts etc), same goes for advertising (still cant delete that mental image of iphone X and XJapans commercial)
I understand your point, but it is still inaccurate to say 90% of people have iPhones when the data puts it at closer to 45% of sales (not just recently but over the past few years) with Android closer to 55%

Perhaps in your job sector iPhone is more popular - same could be said for when I was in Vietnam - most of the doctors had iPhones, but this is because they were all rich and viewed it as a status symbol - average Vietnamese all have Android

Reactions: radicalwookie

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand your point, but it is still inaccurate to say 90% of people have iPhones when the data puts it at closer to 45% of sales (not just recently but over the past few years) with Android closer to 55%

Perhaps in your job sector iPhone is more popular - same could be said for when I was in Vietnam - most of the doctors had iPhones, but this is because they were all rich and viewed it as a status symbol - average Vietnamese all have Android
I used to teach in high school less than 2 years ago. Every single student in my class had an iphone. Watching around on train, 9 out of 10 people has iphones (nowdays). After the X releas, I noticed that even some of the older people started using itdue to heavy advertising and some really nice deals by docomo. Actual Japanese research showed iphone users at approximately 70% (not accurate to the point becaus I read this in Mainichi Shinbun about a year ago) in 2017. If I have some free time tomorrow Ill link it for you.

Its hard to compare Vietnam with Japan when a normal high school girl has more pocket money than an average monthly salary is in Vietnam

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'd be interested to see the article :)

And yeah I know they aren't comparable in wages, but it was just an example of how anecdotal evidence can be skewed
Indeed, I understand the anecdote I just wanted to say its not such a premium product in Japan (due to high salaries) as it is in Vietnam for example.
Ill check for the article tomorrow if I have time, sure! (Its in Japanese though)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And yeah I know they aren't comparable in wages, but it was just an example of how anecdotal evidence can be skewed
Somehow my reply got added to my previous message >.<

Last edited by radicalwookie,

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to teach in high school less than 2 years ago. Every single student in my class had an iphone. Watching around on train, 9 out of 10 people has iphones (nowdays). After the X releas, I noticed that even some of the older people started using itdue to heavy advertising and some really nice deals by docomo. Actual Japanese research showed iphone users at approximately 70% (not accurate to the point becaus I read this in Mainichi Shinbun about a year ago) in 2017. If I have some free time tomorrow Ill link it for you.

Its hard to compare Vietnam with Japan when a normal high school girl has more pocket money than an average monthly salary is in Vietnam

Reactions: radicalwookie

Knight of Time

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm presuming that people who only have an Android emulator on their computer and not one of the Android devices (like me) won't be able to play this game either to test it or after its official release, am I right?

Reactions: CoolStarDood

JavaScribe

Confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm presuming that people who only have an Android emulator on their computer and not one of the Android devices (like me) won't be able to play this game either to test it or after its official release, am I right?
If you're using VirtualBox, doubt it. (If there's a way to allocate more than like 128MB of VRAM without GPU passthrough since I only have 1 GPU, someone please do tell.)
beta test to see if anyone buys any micro$ than they jack up the price :lol:
upload_2019-4-25_18-50-0.png

I signed up, and if I get in, I'm probably gonna dump it, and get it to someone who knows how to datamine APKs
I'm not gonna tell you to not, because you won't listen, but at least don't go around saying it.
I can see it now: You have been removed from the selection pool. Thank you for your interest.
...wait, Ninty doesn't have a history of being that proactive, do they? And I suppose your email probably isn't visible from your GBAtemp profile...
The beta test has been cancelled due to technical difficulties. We apologize for any inconvenience.

But in all seriousness, if you don't do it, someone else will. Even if you do, someone else will, too. It's inevitable. It won't be me; I'm not rooting my phone for something like that. I break everything I touch (software-wise).
Even if they don't do a public beta, there's still the chance that someone will leak it Prism-style. (Okay, maybe it's an absurd notion for that to happen to a corporation like Nintendo, but it's not entirely impossible.)

Reactions: CoolStarDood

Jannik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Let's wait and see if nintendo really releases a European version. It may be, but not necessarily.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would we want a mobile mario kart when we already have a full fledged game?
Mario kart 8 deluxe is getting tedious and old, especially the online. The laggy hit detection and laggy people makes for an extremely frustrating racing. Not even mario kart 7 had that problem, somehow they screwed hard on 8...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Mario kart 8 deluxe is getting tedious and old, especially the online. The laggy hit detection and laggy people makes for an extremely frustrating racing. Not even mario kart 7 had that problem, somehow they screwed hard on 8...
That's fine.. But that doesn't answer my question. Why would a mobile game be preferred?

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine.. But that doesn't answer my question. Why would a mobile game be preferred?
Not preffered, but it's another game you could play in your spare time if you want to play a new mario kart rather than 8... Granted, they could have developed a new mario kart for switch, but a mobile title doesnt take that long to develop for and can be updated with more content in a more regular time frame.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not preffered, but it's another game you could play in your spare time if you want to play a new mario kart rather than 8... Granted, they could have developed a new mario kart for switch, but a mobile title doesnt take that long to develop for and can be updated with more content in a more regular time frame.
Not to mention the switch isn't super portable

This is gonna be way more practical for Mario kart on the go

Last edited by x65943,
Reactions: DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And yeah I know they aren't comparable in wages, but it was just an example of how can be skewed

Not to mention the switch isn't super portable

This is gonna be way more practical for Mario kart on the go
Also that. The only thing that concerns me is how are they gonna nail the gameplay.

Aniblaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sadly wont be useful for you still, since if you don't have a way to get into the US and Japan playstore you wont be able to download the app, and those are really annoying to set up
This was never a problem when Pokemon Go came out either. You just download the pkg file directly, and install it no problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Z @ Zurdonx: there is a spammer