Mario Kart Tour will have a closed beta on Android devices, registration now open

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 25, 2019.

1. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I understand your point, but it is still inaccurate to say 90% of people have iPhones when the data puts it at closer to 45% of sales (not just recently but over the past few years) with Android closer to 55%

Perhaps in your job sector iPhone is more popular - same could be said for when I was in Vietnam - most of the doctors had iPhones, but this is because they were all rich and viewed it as a status symbol - average Vietnamese all have Android

radicalwookie likes this.
  2. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    oh, so it's not dead

3. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    I used to teach in high school less than 2 years ago. Every single student in my class had an iphone. Watching around on train, 9 out of 10 people has iphones (nowdays). After the X releas, I noticed that even some of the older people started using itdue to heavy advertising and some really nice deals by docomo. Actual Japanese research showed iphone users at approximately 70% (not accurate to the point becaus I read this in Mainichi Shinbun about a year ago) in 2017. If I have some free time tomorrow Ill link it for you.

Its hard to compare Vietnam with Japan when a normal high school girl has more pocket money than an average monthly salary is in Vietnam

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Indeed, I understand the anecdote I just wanted to say its not such a premium product in Japan (due to high salaries) as it is in Vietnam for example.
    Ill check for the article tomorrow if I have time, sure! (Its in Japanese though)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Somehow my reply got added to my previous message >.<

Last edited by radicalwookie, Apr 25, 2019
    CoolStarDood and x65943 like this.
  4. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    I'd be interested to see the article :)

And yeah I know they aren't comparable in wages, but it was just an example of how anecdotal evidence can be skewed

radicalwookie likes this.
  5. Knight of Time

Knight of Time GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    I'm presuming that people who only have an Android emulator on their computer and not one of the Android devices (like me) won't be able to play this game either to test it or after its official release, am I right?

CoolStarDood likes this.
  6. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    If you're using VirtualBox, doubt it. (If there's a way to allocate more than like 128MB of VRAM without GPU passthrough since I only have 1 GPU, someone please do tell.)
    upload_2019-4-25_18-50-0.
    I'm not gonna tell you to not, because you won't listen, but at least don't go around saying it.
    I can see it now: You have been removed from the selection pool. Thank you for your interest.
    ...wait, Ninty doesn't have a history of being that proactive, do they? And I suppose your email probably isn't visible from your GBAtemp profile...
    The beta test has been cancelled due to technical difficulties. We apologize for any inconvenience.

But in all seriousness, if you don't do it, someone else will. Even if you do, someone else will, too. It's inevitable. It won't be me; I'm not rooting my phone for something like that. I break everything I touch (software-wise).
    Even if they don't do a public beta, there's still the chance that someone will leak it Prism-style. (Okay, maybe it's an absurd notion for that to happen to a corporation like Nintendo, but it's not entirely impossible.)

CoolStarDood likes this.
  7. Jannik

Jannik Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2019
    Germany
    Let's wait and see if nintendo really releases a European version. It may be, but not necessarily.

8. Knight of Time

Knight of Time GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2015
    Canada
    I actually use Bluestacks and Nox for emulating Android (I use the latter more, though).

9. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    I should use Bluestacks... I stopped because my last device actually couldn't run the new Bluestacks (and the old one was incompatible).

10. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's scalie trash

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Mario kart 8 deluxe is getting tedious and old, especially the online. The laggy hit detection and laggy people makes for an extremely frustrating racing. Not even mario kart 7 had that problem, somehow they screwed hard on 8...

11. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    That's fine.. But that doesn't answer my question. Why would a mobile game be preferred?

12. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Not preffered, but it's another game you could play in your spare time if you want to play a new mario kart rather than 8... Granted, they could have developed a new mario kart for switch, but a mobile title doesnt take that long to develop for and can be updated with more content in a more regular time frame.

13. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Not to mention the switch isn't super portable

This is gonna be way more practical for Mario kart on the go

Last edited by x65943, Apr 26, 2019
    DeslotlCL likes this.
  14. DeslotlCL

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Also that. The only thing that concerns me is how are they gonna nail the gameplay.

JavaScribe and x65943 like this.
  15. CoolStarDood

CoolStarDood GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2018
    United States
    Everywhere and nowwhere at the same time o__0
    JavaScribe likes this.
  16. Thunder Hawk

Thunder Hawk Firefox Master Race

Jan 21, 2013
    United States
    How long until we get hacked APKs? It's going to happen...

x65943 likes this.
  17. x65943

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Well first they need to release the apk :P

18. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    remember how nintendo was so scared of piracy that smr was an ios exclusive for months

CoolStarDood likes this.
  19. Aniblaze

Aniblaze Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2009
    Netherlands
    This was never a problem when Pokemon Go came out either. You just download the pkg file directly, and install it no problem.

20. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Pokémon Go was an open beta, this is a closed beta. You'll probably need to log in with your linked nintendo account

CoolStarDood likes this.
  21. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    What's your source for that?
    The only info I can find points at them having just over 50% market share in Japan.

CoolStarDood likes this.