Mario Kart Staff Time Trials

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by The_Cylon_Surfer, Apr 16, 2008.

1. The_Cylon_Surfer
    OP

The_Cylon_Surfer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2005
    Base Beach 1
    Well I have been looking over the list of Mario Kart unlockables and noticed a few items which catch my eye are unlockable through beating certain staff ghost data in time trials. I beat the 1st lot of staff data on the very 1st cup with little difficulty but now find my self really stuck on Yoshi Falls.

No matter which Kart or Bike I choose, whether I follow the ghosts route or not I come no where near their time. It seems that the staff Data has somehow become super charged!!! I would consider myself an above average Mario Karter and come 1st - 3rd position in most of my online matches but these time trials are giving me hell - anyone have any tips?

Another quick thing, I notice to unlock certain things a number of "Expert Staff Ghosts" need to be obtained - any clue on what indication you get to say the Ghost Data you race against is 'expert level'? The only information I see is the name of the staff member. As I mentioned above I have beat the staff data on the very first cup but the only Ghost data which is listed is my own records and the Staff ghost data I just beat..

2. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye
    All the staff ghosts are considered 'expert', I believe ... and yes, the Yoshi Falls ghost is tough to beat ...

You get the first unlock for beating any 8 staff ghosts, then one for 16, and so on ... just keep beating the staff ghost for each track, and eventually you'll have everything ...

The unlocked items don't appear 'til after you exit to the main menu, then go back into the game, by the way ...

3. Hardcore Gamer

Hardcore Gamer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessag...;topic=42526151

Just use that as a reference as the game doesn't tell you if it's an expert or normal ghost data.

4. The_Cylon_Surfer
    OP

The_Cylon_Surfer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 5, 2005
    Base Beach 1
    Cheers guys - You have both been a great help! Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering at the hands of the Yoshi Falls staff ghost...

5. drock360

drock360 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    United States
    I remember having tons of trouble beating the Yoshi Falls staff ghost in Mario Kart DS. Good times, good times...

6. T3Sm0

T3Sm0 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 28, 2007
    United States
    Note that you can even unlock Birdo and Toadette and some bike by just playing time trial, even solo time trial will do. No need beating the staff ghosts.
    Unlocking the expert stafff ghosts will get you more unlockables nonetheless. But unlocking epert staff ghosts requires more than just beating them. You need to be 3 to 10 seconds faster.

7. R2DJ

R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 30, 2008
    London
    LOL Don't forget King Boo in SNES Ghost Valley. I kept on falling off that shortcut.

8. EddyB

EddyB GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2007
    Netherlands
    I cleared all of the time trials with the "mach bike" in "automatic", almost every track completed (unlocked expert) the first time.

9. phaerun

phaerun GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2008
    Greece
    Αθήνα
    the ghost valley is the only one that I have left . damn it, if that is a 3 sec ghost i am like 0.019 from it >_< and i cannot beat my best time (for now [​IMG] )

10. Giga_Gaia

Giga_Gaia Shinigami

Sep 12, 2006
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    Unlocking all 32 Expert Staff Ghosts gives you the things that can be unlocked.

Beating the Expert Staff Ghost does absolutely nothing.

By the way,ghosts you start with are normal one, if you come close when you make a time trial, chances are it's the normal, as Expert are insaley tough to beat, not anyone can.