Mario Kart random crashes

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by icebrg5, Jun 7, 2009.

Jun 7, 2009

Mario Kart random crashes by icebrg5 at 8:05 AM (1,148 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. icebrg5
    OP

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Loaded mario kart onto a new external drive.

Did the pause test and it failed it.So i searched around and tried all the fixes i could find.
    Did the pause test again and it seemed to pass it at the time.
    Well i played some more tonight and it would freeze at the exact same point of the race on a certain course.
    The first time it did this i thought it was the hard drive going to sleep.So i played a different 4 courses.
    This time it didnt freeze at all.Went back to the original one i was having problems with and sure enough it
    froze again at the exact same spot.I then looked on the board.Read a posters comment that changing the jumper
    setting to cable select fixed his mario galaxy from crashing(I know its a different game but i figured it was worth
    a shot).Well i changed the jumper from master to cable select and played the course that was freezing up.
    This time it didnt freeze at all,but once i was done with all 4 courses it froze before it got to the trophy screen.
    So i thought maybe if i rollback the cios im using it might not freeze anymore.So i reinstalled ciosrev9 (was on rev12).
    Played the 4 same courses again and it didnt freeze in either of the normal freezing spots.

So my question is what could be the real cause of the freezing problems? Or is/was it a combo of 1 or more.

Bad rip of the game?(Its a rip of the original i own)
    Cios Rev 12?
    Hard Drive spindown?
    Hard Drive jumper setting?

I do think the jumper setting had a big impact on it.I dont know why it would cause an issue like that but it did and before i changed
    the jumper it froze on the same course at the same spot(end of lap 2) every time.

I just want to see what other peoples opinions are on this and if anyone else had similar problems.
    Later im gonna change the jumper setting back and see if i can recreate the problem again.
    I would do it now but its getting late and im beat.

2. icebrg5
    OP

United States
    Well i ruled out bad rip,cios 12, and the jumper setting.

I put the jumper setting back to master and tried it and it froze.Then i switched back to cable select and it did the same.

Tried it will rev9,12,13,13b and all it still froze on all of them.

3. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Sounds like you just need to find the "magical" combination.

Cable select and rev9 seemed to work for you. So go with it!

4. TehLexinator

Member TehLexinator GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Try it with a plain ol USB stick. I have an 8GB Super Talent I bough ton newegg for like $15 bucks, just for this very reason.

Maybe there is something with the drive? If it works on that stick, you know that the drive is the problem.

5. icebrg5
    OP

United States
    Ive tried it with a different hard drive that i know for sure has the spindown feature set to off and the game works without any hang ups ever.

I just cant find a program to turn the spindown off on this drive.

ive tried hddscan, hdparm,all the maxto/seagate software.

hddscan will let me change the settings but once the unit is powered off it resets it back to default.

hdparm let me change all the settings when i installed the drive internally but obviously they didnt stay because im still having issues.

maxtor and seagate software doesnt work either.None of them will even see my drive.

Could it be the external case thats causing issues?
    Or just the drive?

6. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Just out of curiosity, when you experience the lockups with Mario Kart, have you let it go for 15 seconds or so to see if it comes out of it? I recently did the Mario Kart Pause Test with my hard drive and here's what happened:

I raced just until the finish line on the final lap, like, literally one second before finishing the race. I paused it right there. Walked away for about 10 minutes. bear with me...

Now, my hard drive has a light indicator on the front that tells me what's up: blinking back and forth indicates activity, solid light indicates "active status" - in other words the drive is spinning and connected to something, and lights off indicate it's entered "sleep mode" - when it's power is on but disconnected or not being used by the host.

After having paused for 10 minutes the drive had gone to "sleep mode". I then woke up my remote, unpaused the game and crossed the finish line, to an immediate freeze of the game complete with the nasty audio buzz. I waited as my hard drive woke up, started spinning and indicated seek/read activity. Within a few seconds Mario Kart ... thawed out, I guess you could say. It went to the results screen and I proceeded to load a new course.

So my thought is, that even if it's freezing, might the game continue anyway? To be honest I don't know how you'd go so long without having the drive read at all...

7. icebrg5
    OP

United States
    It just locks up and doesnt come out of it at all.

Im not even letting it sit paused at all.

Im selecting grand prix or whatever it is that has the 4 races.

I can complete the first race and then during the 2 of the 4 races as soon as i cross the finish line to start lap #3 it freezes.

Sometimes it does sometimes it doesnt.I think it depends on the course im on and if its a long one or not.

Sometimes i make it to the third race before it locks up.

I can always tell to when its gonna lock up because the background music completly dies out and all you hear is the kart/bike.