Mario Kart NTSC Update question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by xplosivo, Apr 29, 2008.

Apr 29, 2008
  1. xplosivo
    OP

Newcomer xplosivo Newbie

I am sure this has been posted, but I can't find it, so please bear with me.

I just d/l'ed the NTSC-U Mario Kart image and when I loaded it, I got a prompt to update my wii firmware. Is this safe to do?

Background:
    WiiKey with 1.9s (Updated yesterday)
    only NTSC-U games ever played.
    Haven't done a firmware upgrade in some time. have auto updates off and never played Mario Galaxy or SSBB.

I just haven't been keeping up like I should and don't want to brick the console.

Any help is appreciated!

2. blu9987

Member blu9987 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you have a NTSC system it should be fine.... mine never prompted me for an update :/.
    I would suggest updating via the internet in system settings

3. methodone

Newcomer methodone Member

never played mario galaxy? what's wrong with you?? j/k

4. webyugioh

Member webyugioh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    I have a question, if you have installed VC or Homebrew channels via the WAD installer, will the mario-kart update hurt your wii at all?
    WOuld it be safer to up date via the internet?

5. pro2oman

Member pro2oman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    ya i never got asked to update when I tried Mario kart.

I never played the pal version so no update was installed. at first i was thinking that its the 1.9s update blocker but I'v heard that some people with 1.9G had the same thing happen. is there any explanation to this?

i'm no expert but this just may be the way Nintendo is trying to find out who has mods. if it find a mod it does not run the update but runes the game (like normal) but next time you connect to the internet via the game they see you but at the older firmware. and then BANNED

I hope not, but i think i may disconnect my wii from the net for a bit till things clear up.