Mario Kart Ds Download Play Custom Hacks?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by popeel1, Feb 5, 2014.

1. popeel1
    OP

popeel1 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Canada
    Toronto
    Is there hacks to unlock all courses with simple option on mario kart ds download play, meaning that there is only one person with the game (host) and other connect via ds download play? Any support would be greatly appreciated.

2. acemaster1993

acemaster1993 Member

Newcomer
    May 7, 2011
    United States
    This would not work because of the Nintendo DS checksum, because of this the player downloading it would drop after connecting.

If the DS was flashed maybe, flashing a ds or ds lite will remove this checksum.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    What acemaster1993 said, you need a flashme modded DS (so no DSi or 3ds) to play with custom download play stuff. You are also limited in size with download play games (it has to fit all in memory after all) so you would then have to have many different versions or cook up some streaming system for them.

With flash carts as cheap as they are though there is no point heading down that path.

4. popeel1
    OP

popeel1 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Canada
    Toronto
    let's say that i do flash the ds, my new question is how would i be able to impliment all tracks to be unlocked for ds ds download play? Would a rom hack or action replay code able to do this?

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You would need to hack it, action replay does not have the capability of doing this.

The trouble would come in the DS download play limit is absolutely tiny compared to the size of a DS ROM and you would not be able to fit all the tracks in it. Theoretically you could code multiple tracks and reset between plays (easier) or make some form of streaming/injection system (very hard) but both are pointless when you could just buy a selection of R4s for what $3 a pop (Mario Kart is a very early ROM and about every cart should be able to run it)?

6. popeel1
    OP

popeel1 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2012
    Canada
    Toronto
    well i would of done this but all my friends have 3ds :( Can you go into further detail about "Theoretically you could code multiple tracks and reset between plays (easier)"

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It would still require a flashme modded DS or DS lite.

The DS download play stations they put in shops to allow people to download demos locally have many different applications stored within them. These can send one of several applications (though unless you have a flashed DS it still has to be signed by Nintendo) as requested by the DS. You could do something like this, each different download play application then gets different tracks allowing you to pump up the tracks to the full amount (plus whatever custom ones you want).

For the effort though I would just get some flash carts. Or even some flash carts and some DS (they go for about $35 a hit these days it seems).