EnticeVigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
a friend of mine recently gave me his usa copy of mario kart 8. I was worried initially that it wouldn't run on my pal region wii u (and it didn't...) I decided I wanted to make my wii u region free. I changed the region code in a system xml file in my wii u' system files and was able to successfully initiate the game booting process via the disk application. As exciting as this accomplishment was, there was one issue.... the game wouldn't leave the initial loading menu. I used all kinds of region-lock related homebrew apps. No homebrew software fixed the issue of not being able to actually load mario kart 8. However, there was one homebrew app called "Spiik" which changed mario kart 8's loading screen issue from ending in a loud abrupt noise to a never ending loop of engine noises. This felt like a promising advancement but it really wasn't. I realize other people have asked questions related to this issue but I never saw a fix for their issues. I know there is a way to get passed mario kart 8's loading screen issue... I just haven't found it yet. Can someone please help point me in the right direction? If people have had this issue before, surely somebody has made or has considered creating a solution. And no, I do not want to run mario kart 8 in Cemu.
Thanks.

EnticeVigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spiik is usually the way to go. Beyond that, I'm not sure.
Yeah, I tried it.
Unless I am some how missing a crucial requirement for Spiik (like a specific custom firmware modification) MK8 doesn't seem to want to complete the launch process. I read somewhere online that there are files specifically for MK8 that effect it's region compatibility, such as in my case. If this is true, how would I go about safely accessing and modifying those files? Would I have to use an FTP server? What would I do? *sigh* yeah, there seems to be lacking documentation of this specific issue...

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same issue as I want a usa version on my PAL console to ftp my mods to rather than use sdcafiine all the the time.

Is there a title id changer at all for Wii U if i were to install 2 PAL versions of mk8?

EnticeVigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some guy on YouTube changed the region value of a system xml file on his Wii U, effectively making his console region free. Pretty sure his console was a Japanese unit and after breaking the region lock he was able to play MK8 USA just fine. Why wouldn't this be the same for playing USA MK8 on a EUR Console? What would be different between the two consoles? Any Ideas as to why this is?
thanks.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Some guy on YouTube changed the region value of a system xml file on his Wii U, effectively making his console region free. Pretty sure his console was a Japanese unit and after breaking the region lock he was able to play MK8 USA just fine. Why wouldn't this be the same for playing USA MK8 on a EUR Console? What would be different between the two consoles? Any Ideas as to why this is?
thanks.

Not sure about that, a friend of mine was unable to play the american nor the european version of the game on his japanese Wii U. even after spoofing the console region by using different methods.

It doesn't seem to work with certain games. I'm not sure why but I guess it has something to do with the online features some games uses.

EnticeVigo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about that, a friend of mine was unable to play the american nor the european version of the game on his japanese Wii U. even after spoofing the console region by using different methods.

It doesn't seem to work with certain games. I'm not sure why but I guess it has something to do with the online features some games uses.

The guy I watched was able to load MK8 on his console. I apologize, after watching it again, I guess he doesn't specify what console region his Wii u was originally locked to. It could be that his console wasn't actually Japanese but perhaps, USA Region. In the video, he tests a Japanese Wii u disk and a USA MK8 disk for proof of removing region lock. You can check out the video here:

I suspect that some online features preventing me from loading USA MK8 on my EUR console could be some sort of validation server, the incompatible EUR Eshop, or my Nintendo Network ID. However, I'm not sure if it has something to do with online features since I tried loading the disk and installing the disk included update in an offline state. Loading the disk without the internet yields the same issue where it fails to completely load past MK8's loading screen. I am leaning towards the issue's source having to do with something in either the Wii U's OS or something MK8 USA attempts to check for on the disk load process.
I don't know,
Any thoughts?

Helvetica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
When MK8 boots. it attempts to load language files based on the current language your wii u system menu is set to. On the base game it boots fine because every language file is present in the game's contents. However, when the game updates, it makes the game load content from the update directory instead. As only American language files are present in the updates language files, the game will crash trying to read non-existent files if the language is different.

Edit: corrected stuff

Last edited by Helvetica,
Reactions: xs4all

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When MK8 boots. it attempts to load language files based on the current language your wii u system menu is set to. On the base game it boots fine because every language file is present in the game's contents. However, when the game updates, it makes the game load content from the update directory instead. As only American language files are present in the updates language files, the game will crash trying to read non-existent files if the language is different.

Edit: corrected stuff
I'm leaning towards this theory as well, I have messed with region stuff on the Wii U a while back and remember the language files/folder plays a role in getting some game to work.
So I suspect the USA version of MK8 does not have the EUR/PAL language files for it load?

Just an idea, maybe try extracting both the USA and PAL version of the games to LOADIINE format (code, content and meta folder) and compare the two? see if there is a language folder and compare? If the USA version is missing a EUR/PAL language files, install the USA version of MK8 directly to your WiiU, use ftpiiu everywhere and upload the required files to the MK8 install folder on the WiiU. I suspect there might be other files beyond the language files that is needed to be present.

Reactions: Helvetica

Helvetica

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
For the base game? They do have the files. For the updates? No, they only added the language files necessary for the intended region.

I was trying earlier to add the european english files to my japanese mk8 update since I have the same issue, but I'm probably doing something wrong since attempting to add them via ftpiiu_everywhere doesn't work. Could be a write perm issue but idk.

ProtossEvo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If you don't mind to abandon the disc and instead, download and install in an external HD, here's a tutorial for making different region games (that freezes on the splash screen like MK8) to work. The thread was wrote to make USA games to work on Japanese console, but the logic of the tutorial applies to any system and any disc of any region: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...-to-play-in-english-problematic-games.572494/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr