Homebrew Mario Kart 8 Ultimate, download the alpha now! 104 additional courses to the base game!

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario Kart 8 Ultimate alpha is here. In this new modpack, you get 104 additional courses plus all your base Mario Kart 8 courses. Made for real hardware, US copies of the game, Can be alterred easily to run on Eur copies and in CEMU. The included readme should answer just about any question you have. A full video showcase is in the works, but for now just enjoy the small video showing the full course selection menu, and then if you want it, hit that download button below it!

Download Mario Kart 8 Ultimate alpha

Also, for those using this for the Eur copy of the game, not only should you follow the readme in regard to renaming a few folders, but also, you should download and extract the .zip file attached to this post and put it in the root of your SD card, after you had already extracted the game and followed the instructions of it's readme to get it to work with Eur copies of the game.

Please note: while it was believed that adding new music for the additional courses wasn't possible when I released the alpha, I've since found some method to add music to the extra courses. A few courses have been stubborn, so the updated mod isn't ready to release yet, but soon enough I will release a version with music for the custom courses. Until then enjoy the alpha without music over the additional courses.

Now, don't go expecting this tomorrow or anything like that. There is a lot that still needs to be done before this is in a decent state to share. Lots of things just hinge on when progress to the CTGP-CafeLoader occurs. I can work with the framework here, but I can't create the framework here lol. We're waiting on the ability to put music over the additional courses, right now they're all silent aside from the original courses, we're also waiting on the ability to put custom map objects in the game, because as things stand now, while the custom courses will play without much issue, many map objects have been altered making some of the vanilla courses to look strange or straight up crash the game. When that does become an available option, I do not look forward to the headache I'll have of having to go back over every custom course and finding which had map object changes and then altering them to be their own thing for each map that has them.

And there are other little issues here and there: lots of courses don't have maps, the changes to textures and models to in race items can't be implemented yet or the game will crash. But these are not the pressing issues that map objects especially are, or even course music.

For now, just be patient and enjoy my older available modpack. The nice thing about the ctgp-cafeloader layout is that this will change from 6 separate modpacks to just 2, One with all the original MK8 characters, and one with the many changed characters that were available in the modpack I had dubbed Invitational. But we wont need a separate Battle modpack, as now we can separate the battle maps without affecting the race maps, and in fact have more of them as well, as things stand the battle maps total 16: the 8 from MK8 Wii U, and the 8 from MK8 Deluxe. Hopefully my next update wont be a long time, but for now when that will be is out of my hands, as I'm essentially just waiting for progress with cafeloader to occur.

ORIGINAL POST with the original 6 modpack suite:

Download link is in the video's description. This took quite a while to put together, but I'm very happy with the end results, check it out, I think it's really cool.

Attachments

• Put in Root of Folder for Eur copies of game.7z
    83.7 KB · Views: 210
Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its alright the graphic is not good as it look and cool characters mod includes nice find!
Find? I put all these mods together myself and even made most of the UI/flair changes myself. Granted I didn't make all the models or anything, that's why graphics are of varying quality, but I think the hard work of all the modders here still looks great overall.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
This is so cool, I'm very happy to see that there are still people doing interesting things for the Wii U, I can't wait to test it on my console when I get home, thank you very much for doing this.

Reactions: MikaDubbz

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sweet Mika. :yayu:

Is that my Pacman ui Icon??? Even cooler if it is! B-) Did you use my arcade voice mod for him too?

Loving the load screen, did you do that yourself? Looks awesome!

Also, did you manage to get the custom courses to play without lag in multiplayer? Some them are really bad inbthe versions I have.

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet Mika. :yayu:

Is that my Pacman ui Icon??? Even cooler if it is! B-) Did you use my arcade voice mod for him too?

Loving the load screen, did you do that yourself? Looks awesome!

Probably your UI icon yes, I don't think I could use your PacMan voice over the character I put Pac Man over as I'm pretty sure I put him over a different one than originally intended, and I can't figure out how to transfer voice packs. (The included readme does ask for any help on such things if anyone is interested, I'm absolutely wanting to make these modpacks better if possible)

I did do the load screen, in fact almost all of the UI was my doing, plus I made some of the alterations to the Electrodome stage. But this is definitely the accumulation of the work of many, not just myself. I thank you for your input, and everyone else that had a hand in this whether they realized it or not.

I'm also in talks with the CTGP-Cafe guy, so in the future we may see some sort of version of one of these modpacks with the stage expansion. It will probably be some time before then, but he's interested in collabing, so I'm excited for that.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,
Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure that's the same character I have pacman over (just checked, its lemmy!). I put some oldskool arcade fx as the voice.... Sorta similar to the classic sonic voice mod if you have used that before. Your more than welcome to use it if you want.... https://gamebanana.com/dl/481901

Voices are a pain to do. They must be named exactly as the bars file for that character has them and they cannot be larger than the original file. The way I went about it was to listen to each file individually and then replace with a smaller but similar sound. Ie yahoos and oh no's with smaller yahoos and oh no's for the correct sound in the right place. A mighty painful process! If any of the new sound files are larger than the one being replaced you will get silence. They can't be transferred the same way some characters can. Damn shame!!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure that's the same character I have pacman over (just checked, its lemmy!). I put some oldskool arcade fx as the voice.... Sorta similar to the classic sonic voice mod if you have used that before. Your more than welcome to use it if you want.... https://gamebanana.com/dl/481901

Voices are a pain to do. They must be named exactly as the bars file for that character has them and they cannot be larger than the original file. The way I went about it was to listen to each file individually and then replace with a smaller but similar sound. Ie yahoos and oh no's with smaller yahoos and oh no's for the correct sound in the right place. A mighty painful process! If any of the new sound files are larger than the one being replaced you will get silence. They can't be transferred the same way some characters can. Damn shame!!
Aw snap, I must have missed that. I'm about to head to work, but I'm definitely going to add that when I get home, and encourage those that download the modpacks to make that change as well. Thanks for the info! I definitely want these modpacks to continue to grow as I move forward, and you helping me out right here is just the start of that I hope.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Loving alot of the stuff you've done here, the hub changes are cool and the font also is very cool. I can see the small edits you made and I'm loving it!

I see you used my race count numbers and finish! textures also but your missing the smash bros announcer on Go! that I put in!! (I thought he was cool!!) I'm honoured you used them!!

I made a few changes to the turbo file like the death star explosion in star wars as the blue shell hit sound. I also managed to put 4 different songs to the animal crossing stage, a different song for every season. Shame we can't do that with the course..... Yet!

I should probably up them to gb but it's been months since i messed with modding it.

The cafe one is very cool with the addition of tracks. I'll be keeping an eye on the progress of that but very well done with this man, it's very well put together!

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really cool, just wish we had the option to only install one of the packs rather than all of them!
Well you can install just one, but you can't download just one, I could upload them separately to download just one, but that seems a bit redundant, I know at over 5GB, it's a larger download to get them all together, but you can delete what you don't want to use.

Good job man! :yayu:
Thanks so much!

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks amazing! Can you install this next to the 'normal' MK8 or does it overwrite it?

They're just modpacks, so if you boot MK8 without booting sdcafiine first, you'll get normal MK8, if you boot sdcafiine and then MK8 you'll get the modpack choices to pop up when you launch it. So yeah, you can still have normal MK8 no problem with these.

Reactions: ChibiMofo

mcsquared

Trophies
XP
Country
They're just modpacks, so if you boot MK8 without booting sdcafiine first, you'll get normal MK8, if you boot sdcafiine and then MK8 you'll get the modpack choices to pop up when you launch it. So yeah, you can still have normal MK8 no problem with these.

Great, thanks. I'm totally new to modding games so I'll do a bit of reading about it first. Thanks for sharing!

NotNotMe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you can install just one, but you can't download just one, I could upload them separately to download just one, but that seems a bit redundant, I know at over 5GB, it's a larger download to get them all together, but you can delete what you don't want to use.

Thanks so much!
Maybe its just me cause I have garbage internet lol.

MCUdude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi! I'm having trouble getting your modpack(s) to work.

I'm new to sdcafiine, but I've been using my CBHC modded Wii U for several years now.
I've installed sdcafiine v1.4 through the "Homebrew Appstore", and placed your modfiles in root/sdcafiine on the SD card. Since I have a european version of the game, I've renamed some of the folders according to your FAQ.

The issue I'm experiencing is that after I've selected a modpackgame freezes after a few seconds, and I'm left with a frozen gamepad with a weird noise coming out of the speakers. The "deepest" into the game I've been able to go is where I can select my character.

Do you know what's causing this and possibly how it can be fixed?

EDIT: I was able to play the first "Mushroom Cup" track in Invitational, but it froze while loading the next track.

Last edited by MCUdude,

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I'm having trouble getting your modpack(s) to work.

I'm new to sdcafiine, but I've been using my CBHC modded Wii U for several years now.
I've installed sdcafiine v1.4 through the "Homebrew Appstore", and placed your modfiles in root/sdcafiine on the SD card. Since I have a european version of the game, I've renamed some of the folders according to your FAQ.

The issue I'm experiencing is that after I've selected a modpackgame freezes after a few seconds, and I'm left with a frozen gamepad with a weird noise coming out of the speakers. The "deepest" into the game I've been able to go is where I can select my character.

Do you know what's causing this and possibly how it can be fixed?

EDIT: I was able to play the first "Mushroom Cup" track in Invitational, but it froze while loading the next track.

If it freezes, just keep restarting until it works. I've found when I get in cycles of repeated failures, that booting up a different modpack seems to get them out of the repeated failure cycle. Its just part of the nature of loading mods of this much content on the Wii U.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn