Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah you can get the toys without the happy meals. I recall getting some of the Smurfs figurines for my mother. (she was obsessed with them at the time). They are considerably cheaper if you get them along with a small food purchase like a McDouble and a drink or something. Otherwise they are $2+ per toy. I don't recall the exact prices they had. :P

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marketing tortured animals to kids

even McDonalds fries contains beef flavoring I heard, except in the UK.

Reactions: yuyuyup

orcid

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
:O I want these karts. I am very envy.
Here in austria they give us the leftovers of the books which they had in germany last year.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Aw damn, here in UK we get books of Hello Kitty and Hot Wheels.

Oh well, there's always Amiibos coming so it's okay that I'll miss out on these, as I also have the other McDonald's Mario toys.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marketing tortured animals to kids

even McDonalds fries contains beef flavoring I heard, except in the UK.

I can remember the flavor of (real) McDonald's fries when they were deep-fried in beef tallow. What they sell now sucks in comparison. Not saying you're wrong necessarily, just that the fries now are not as good as they used to be, mostly thanks to who can't accept that homo sapiens have pointy canines for a reason.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're using the shape of teeth to rationalize capitalist factory-farming practices and the torturing of animals?

Nice.

No, I'm using the shape of teeth to explain why McDonald's fries tasted better in the past.

As for "capitalist factory-farming practices," it sounds like you're assuming communist factory-farming practices would be more humane. When the mission calls for feeding 68 million people a day for a only few bucks each, the process is what it is. I suppose McDonalds could start serving nothing but tofu burgers, but then nobody would go there.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Ahh the age old argument on how we should treat animals and the Earth around us. I'll put my response to that in a spoiler to save space for those who don't want to read it. This also encompasses climate change as well since that's somewhat related to the whole ethical treatment of animals issue. :P

I have the belief that while we shouldn't be completely reckless in regard to the environment and the treatment of other animals, as a society we shouldn't be forced limit our choices or to stagnate human progress over the needs of a few animals and/or the environment.

Earth has gone through many drastic climate changes with some of which being the direct result of living organism that became extremely successful. (for example certain species of ocean plankton/bacteria evolved to photosynthesize which resulted in a massive decreases in Co2 with big rises in Oxygen. This resulted in temperatures dropping and a global ice age that resulted in 99% of the oceans being frozen. Even down to the equator. This was what scientists referred to as the "Snowball Earth" period)

That was an extreme example but you get the point. The idea that what we are doing to this planet is somehow bad is what is artificial here. Good and Bad has always been a human construct.

The changes to the planet we are seeing is merely a side effect of being the most successful organism on this planet. Sure there are other species that can outlive us/reproduce faster or be more numerous then us. But not since the snow ball Earth period has there been an organism that could drastically alter the Earth's climate and environment. Climate change is only a small byproduct of what we have done. We've deforested areas to build large cities, paved roads, built vehicles that allow us to fly, etc and soon we could even expand into other planets. Nature has always tried to produce new organisms that out compete old ones. The more nature does this, the better chances that life as a whole continues to exist. There's a few things we can do to slow down some of the changes we are doing if we choose that it's important, but no matter what we do the climate will change regardless. It's only how fast it occurs that we have any control over.

The Earth will not last forever. The sun will die, and the Earth will either be swallowed by the dieing sun or if it's lucky to escape the clutches of the future red giant, it will be thrown into a hellish summer for a billion or more years, then an eternal winter should it be lucky to survive until which the sun finally cools into a white dwarf. Life will be long gone from this planet even before the sun becomes a red giant.

Humans have the best chance right now of carrying the legacy of life beyond Earth and into other planets as that would guarantee that life from Earth will outlast the planet from which it was born.

And somehow we have some obligation to change our minds and fall back to stone age technology or to impose undeveloped technology through government force of law that is so economically impractical that it would result in a collapse of our economy and throw millions into poverty and starvation possibly resulting in deaths and set back the progress of our civilization? The idea that we should stop farming animals, stop genetically modifying plants to withstand climate change (which is going to be inevitable regardless of whether we stop producing Co2 or not), or to give in to the extremist demands of a minority is suicide.

No species in the history of this planet has ever decided to pull back and stop reproducing or stop expanding. Because it doesn't make sense. It's unnatural.

So that is why it bugs me why some people become so obsessed with how humans treat animals that they start arguments over something completely benign as a video game franchise that happens to feature fictional characters dressing up in fictional animal suits. Come on people. Get your priorities straight! There's more important things to worry about.

I'm not saying we go out and burn all the forests down and slaughter all the animals. There is worthwhile en-devours out there that aren't impractical. Improvements in how we farm, how we produce energy, etc is what we should work towards. There are some instances the treatment of animals destined for slaughter for the purposes of feeding the masses might be of some concern to some. There's no problem trying to push towards more human ways of killing/raising animals for human consumption, but the idea that we should stop killing them and eating them is retarded. Just look at our evolutionary history. We are classified as omnivores. That is, our diets consist of both meat and plants.

We are not carnivores. We are not herbivores. We are omnivores and that means we are meant to eat both. If you want to cut all meat and other food that comes from animals including fish if you go full vegan, be prepared to take dietary supplements or you will develop health issues. If you want to deal with the consequences of your dietary choices, go right on ahead. You have the freedom to chose what you eat.

But please, DO NOT TELL OTHERS WHAT THEIR DIETS SHOULD CONSIST OF. You have no right deny a whole sub group of food from others. It's a destructive idea and it should stop immediately. Not all food is healthy and we have the means of knowing what is and what isn't healthy so us and the (responsible) parents of those who are too young to make those decisions have the means of deciding for themselves. But that doesn't deny the fact that we should have the right to choose whether or not to eat it or not. If there's obese parents taking their children into McDonalds which causes them to become obese too, That's their choice. There's consequence for that and they will be responsible for that. It isn't our job to police them and do hand-holding so they don't eat the stuff we believe is bad for them. Sure some things like food stuffed with Mercury or Lead can be banned, but things like Soda and cheeseburgers? Come on now. We don't live in the USSR. Hell even full on Communist Russia wasn't that controlling.

Shutting down entire franchises and putting millions out of work just so some pigs and cows can either die in a more comfortable manner or not be born at all since the companies would be banned from cultivating them is a completely ass backwards way of looking at the world. You can pressure the companies to find better ways of making food that people want to buy and that's fine, but banning them outright or forcing them to make business choices that is tantamount to business suicide is stupid and destructive.

Arguing over whether or not Mario should wear a Tonooki suit or the ethics behind how french fries are made at McDonald's is a complete waste of time.

I believe in human progress. If that means a warmer climate and a few animals going extinct, then so be it. No matter what we do life will continue to evolve and produce new animals. So what if the ones that exist now go extinct? That's my opinion. You may have a different view and that's fine. But I'm not going to argue over it.

This ends my wall of text aimed towards all the environmentalist and animal rights trolls who like to foul up forum topics with their meaningless dribble. :P

The summery of all that is that I have no problem trying to treat animals and the environment better. But that's only up to a point. At some point the future of our species takes priority and as such, I believe in the long run, the loss of some animal species and a changed climate is a necessary sacrifice. That's how it's happened on earth for billions of years before us. I see no reason why that should change.

And now I will go to bed. Please stop arguing about how the french fries are made and talk about the toys being released as that would be more on topic here. :P

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, I'm using the shape of teeth to explain why McDonald's fries tasted better in the past..

You may think they tasted better in the past, but that's hardly an objective or verifiable statement.

As for "capitalist factory-farming practices," it sounds like you're assuming communist factory-farming practices would be more humane. When the mission calls for feeding 68 million people a day for a only few bucks each, the process is what it is. I suppose McDonalds could start serving nothing but tofu burgers, but then nobody would go there.

Deflect the blame by situating it on another group of people.

Well, if that's the case, carry on then. You must be right if someone else is wrong.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're using the shape of teeth to rationalize capitalist factory-farming practices and the torturing of animals?

Are we playing "Find the vegetarian/vegan" right now? Because I found him!

While I'm sure your commune finds this conversation very stimulating, could we maybe get back to the meat of the matter and keep the conversation on Mario Kart?

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are we playing "Find the vegetarian/vegan" right now? Because I found him!

While I'm sure your commune finds this conversation very stimulating, could we maybe get back to the meat of the matter and keep the conversation on Mario Kart?

I am not actually, but if there is one thing that riles me, it is justification of ones own enjoyment by totally illogical rationalization.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: yes? Interesting way to get Hi