Mario Kart 8 - Final Race of each cup

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by NEO-BAHAMUT-, Jul 2, 2017.

1. NEO-BAHAMUT-
    OP

NEO-BAHAMUT- GBAtemp Regular

May 22, 2013
    Not sure if this is just me but has anyone noticed that the final race of each cup, the difficulty seems to rise. I can breeze through most races and win easily however when it comes to the final race and your in 45 points and require that last 15 points tog et three gold stars... you get hit by everything.

Anyone else noticed this?

infinete and NekoMichi like this.
  2. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
    All. The. Time.

3. Slattz

Slattz Easygoing Fairy

Nov 21, 2015
    Ireland
    Yea, I've noticed that, I always get bombarded on the 3rd lap of the last race just about 20 seconds before finishing and if you aren't a good bit ahead, the cpus overtake you (mainly on 150cc+, on lower you can usually get away with it).

4. NEO-BAHAMUT-
    OP

May 22, 2013
    Glad it's not just me. Tbh me and Mario Kart have had a love hate relationship for several years now because of this. I love to play it but it takes the piss sometimes.

5. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    It's a biais, ie you only remember the times where the last race was a mess.

6. NEO-BAHAMUT-
    OP

May 22, 2013
    I do feel that the AI reacts different to who ever your character is though. I've played the shell cup on reverse about 6 times with Bowser in the exact same kart.... the exact same thing happens each time. I win the first three races with ease. If I'm too far in front on any of the races I get blue shelled. So I have to wait till the last lap before som I hit first place. In the last race Mario and Koopa get some engine tuning and become faster than me. I then struggle but still manage to sit at the front. Then just before the end of the second lap it gets crazy and I get hit multiple times and generally end up finishing 3rd / 4th....

Going to change my character and Kart I think.

7. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    I hate when I'm at the finish line pretty much, and I look back and 5 red shells and a blue shell are coming to rip you a new one, you have no chance of winning at that point

Justin20020 likes this.
  8. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Not a problem I've ever had but then again I always drift as much as possible and make use of the shortcuts so the bots can't catch up with me.

9. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    All the fucking time, yes.

10. danny19901

danny19901 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2016
    Same tbh but nailed the 100cc with 3* golds on all cups :) mission accomplished 200cc is a joke on SNES rainbow road it's like OMG Fall off the edge and repeat lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

11. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    You just gotta press B and the best part, you never need mushrooms to get over the shortcuts. :) 200cc is really easy once you get used to it.

danny19901 likes this.
  12. jt_1258

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    ya, you can use b during drift to lessen the turn arc on sharp turns, making titer drifts, I drift every corner

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  13. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    This happens to me on the last lap of almost every race, I get hit by absolutely everything often in a short span of time. For instance in Sweet Sweet Canyon on the final lap, I got hit right before/after entering the launch ramp several times consecutively:

1. Hit by banana right before the boost, causing the boost to be cancelled and making me fall off-track
    2. Saved by Lakitu, hit by Green Shell before I regain control, recover right before boost pad, promptly struck by Spiny Shell on its way to whoever is in first place, recover right on the boost pad only to be hit by a Green Shell before I regain control, thus cancelling the boost again and making me fall off-track
    3. Saved by Lakitu, successfully boost off ramp only to be hit by Lightning Bolt while in flight, fall off-track
    4. Saved by Lakitu, somehow manage to boost off the ramp *and* finally land successfully on the other side

[​IMG]

Last edited by NekoMichi, Jul 7, 2017
  14. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    I'm sorry but this is so funny to watch lmaooo

NekoMichi likes this.
  15. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    No, the CPU must have gotten' the RYNO and used it against you. They must have bought one from that smuggler, since Ratchet gives the plan to the guy.

16. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    Yeah, it don't seem to matter kart and character, once you're on that last race especially 150cc+200cc, it's all down to luck.

I've got 1 cup on each 150/200cc sets to get 3 stars on because of this. Inkling Girl, B.Dasher, White Wheels (Can't remember the name) & Splatoon Glider.

17. jt_1258

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    I managed 150cc all 3 star, it's just 200 that gets me