Mario Kart 8: Deluxe surpasses Mario Kart Wii as fastest selling game in the series

Switch_MarioKart8Deluxe.jpg

Nintendo has revealed the launch day numbers for Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, which shows the game to be the fastest selling in the series, pushing over 459,000 copies on April 28th alone, reflecting both physical and digital sales, and surpassing Mario Kart Wii's (433,000 launch copies sold) previous record. Nintendo also claims that 45% of Switch owners purchased the game on launch. Nintendo Switch sales are also mentioned in the press release, and at the time of writing, 2.7 million systems have been sold worldwide.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has also received more perfect review scores than any other Mario Kart game ever. With a current Metacritic score of 93, the critically acclaimed title is the highest-rated game in the series in 15 years – tying the overall review score of Mario Kart: Super Circuit for Game Boy Advance.

To continue this strong momentum into the summer, a series of great games will launch for Nintendo Switch over the next few months, including Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (May 11), Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (May 26), ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21).

EDIT: Mario Kart 8: Deluxe made it's way to #1 on the UK charts as well, becoming the first number 1 physical released Nintendo game to reach that peak since 2011's Pokemon White. Breath of the Wild itself didn't even reach #1, staying a place behind to Sony's Horizon Zero Dawn.

:arrow: Source: GBAtemp Press Inbox

Last edited by Chary,

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, looks like Nintendo found the perfect formula in an industry that's getting as saturated as the book one.

We are going to release action figures that are like the Skylanders but we are producing very tiny quantities of them. Boom, sold out.
We are going to release a piece of plastic that resembles the NES back in the day, but it's going to have only 30 games and you can't add more. It will also have limited quantities. Boom, sold out.
We are going to release an overpriced hybrid console with no games except another Zelda game. Also quantities are limited. Boom, instant sold out.
Hey, remember the Switch? A game that's not indie trash is coming out and it's a re-hash of a Wii U game no one played because nobody wanted to buy a Wii U. Boom, sales record.

Looks like Nintendo is keeping everyone's attention by offering hardware that's available in very limited quantities or by offering AAA titles after a very long time. I should be mad, but in a world where a mr. Nobody can't sell their games unless they become a meme or have a -90% tag near the name on Steam I believe this is, sadly, the right approach.

Shawnj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
:D good point, but despite the fact that the GBA was able to handle basic 3D games it was made for 2D games. There're no 3D features hardware-wise (expect the Mode 7 support if you want to count that as 3D feature).
Idk much about the hardware of the recent console, but I'm 100% sure that it has alot of hardware features for 3D games implemented.
I still wonder why Nintendo hasn't not build a small wireless receiver and a basic video stream decoder into the dock. It wouldn't have cost much and it would mean we could use the TV as a second screen e.g. for DS Virtual Console while the console isn't in the dock.
I was talking about YoshiB's 2.7th of a DS, not the Switch. Sorry.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people are fucking sheep paying full price for practically the same game with a battle mode added..
Also keep in mind, that the price most likely will not drop at least until the end of the switch life. So might as well buy now when you have the fund (that is if you want the game).

Chris313

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Double Dash feels too floaty to me, the AI seems to rubber band a lot, not a fan of the soundtrack either, but that's my two cents. I like MK8 Deluxe more XD
I haven't played Mario kart 8 but have played double which was so damn fun and good then came Mario kart Wii which just feels empty and there was anything interesting I stopped playing it after like a few days.MK8 deluxe looks really good but yea can't buy a switch

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It may surpass the sales, but in my opinion; MKWii is just better overall. There's too much memories and nostalgia with MKWii from my past.
Are you joking ? Compared even to the original MK8, Mario Kart Wii is bullshit. The physics are completely broken, there are a lot of glitches, inward drifting and wheelies are completely OP.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people are fucking sheep paying full price for practically the same game with a battle mode added..
Never seen someone so butthurt and bitter about things they have no control over when it comes to buying games :creep: :rolleyes:

All DLC,
New characters
59 fps fix
Full 1080p 60
Battle modes
Portable in HD (muddy as hell on Wii U gamepad screen)
Playing game on an IPS display

Yeah, it's definitely the same as the Wii U version XD

Last edited by the_randomizer,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have a WiiU and have Mario Kart 8 WITH the DLC (extra maps and racers), I understand it's unchanged accept for some mini game maps and modes but, the basic racing game is the same with no change.
Someone who calls 5 new Battle Modes and 8 maps "mini game maps and modes" doesn't understand anything to MK...

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the game now has passed the 1 million mark in sales...in just a week! I want to call bullshit on that, but man. Basically, if Nintendo can have this kind of format with any of their IPs, especially Pokemon, living up to the portable home console gimmick, they would break more bank. I was serious with the Smash content, giving that the full Switch treatment as they did MK8 will just shatter sales records.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Are you joking ? Compared even to the original MK8, Mario Kart Wii is bullshit. The physics are completely broken, there are a lot of glitches, inward drifting and wheelies are completely OP.
Well, I'm not joking. Also, I don't like mk8 as much. My childhood revolves around the GameCube and Wii. If you don't like mkwii, then I don't really care. But, you're just outright bashing my personal opinion. Now that's what I call bullshit.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I'm not joking. Also, I don't like mk8 as much. My childhood revolves around the GameCube and Wii. If you don't like mkwii, then I don't really care. But, you're just outright bashing my personal opinion. Now that's what I call bullshit.
I was actually speaking from an objective POV. Mario Kart 8 has a lot of glitches, and inward-drifting bikes were really OP. MKDS had snaking, MK7 had Metal Mario and the Red Monster tires, MK8 had fire hopping and demon sliding. Actually at least MK8D doesn't have any game-breaker :P

Reactions: Xabring

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended