s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how is it a completely different game when:

Mario:
Peach gets kidnapped by bowser, your mission is to enter worlds collection stars and repeat then fight boswer and save peach; other than the levels its basically the same thing

Mario Bros:
Peach gets kidnapped by bowser, your mission is to enter worlds collection coins and repeat then fight bowser and save peach; other than the levels its basically the same thing

Zelda:
Zelda is kidnapped by Gannon, your mission is to enter dungeons, fight boss, repeat then take fight to gannon and save zelda.

but BOTW:
Zelda is kidnapped by gannon, your mission is to enter shit loads of repetetive shrines, do four repetetive divine beasts (whihc isnt needed) then take fight to gannon and save zelda.

Donkey Kong:
Basically the same as Mario Bros but your DK and collect bannanas and take your fight to K.ROOL

And im sure as that fan posted that image to try suggest them games are the same (fucking up only seeing the game name).

Uncharted:
As an action adventure game, yes its gameplay is the same, but its the story that each game is different, its not like your hunting down the gold of el dorado in every game now is it.

Killzone:
As an FPS game its gameplay is the same, but again each game has its own story.

The thing i have with nintendo is if you take away the recycled games they keep re releasing, what else is there........ nothing much really and i cant see anything impressive coming out this year or leading to next year.

so as i knew it would be the same ole thing again, another nintendo console with mainly its recycled titles and last gen ports (if that) and nothing else new or AAA from third parties that the other consoles are getting.

i actually do believe once the hype has died down the switch will fall and it will die a silent death, the only thing the switch has that made it seem better than it is, is again BS gimmick controllers and copied concept off tablets.

nintendo fail to grasp that gamers need fresh new games, nintendo only release the same shit all the time, third parties take a massive part in a console and release most of the games, which nintendo always lack.

if someone disagrees and thinks i am wrong, then kindly list these great AAA third party titles that MS/SONY console have got, thats also on nintendo..... because then they might see my point its very limited...... or knowing how nintendo fanboys are, they will hate the idea of having the option to play AAA title because they cant accept a bad thing for nintendo.

yet at the same time, nintendo fans are wanting RE7 which one post before had a fan wanting it and still assuming its going to happen because another BS fan site posted a suggestion would the fans want it, not it is coming and even when capcom stated its not coming, that fan still refused to accept it and said theres still hope.....

Now that's a bit unfair, don't you think? Whereas the games you mentioned might have similar gameplay with different stories, the nintendo titles do the opposite by having similar stories with almost entirely different gameplay. Super Mario Galaxy is drastically different gameplay-wise than super mario sunshine, and also noticeably different from mario 64. BotW is drastically different from Skyward Sword, and drastically different from Wind Waker. Donkey Kong Barrel Blast is drastically different from Donkey Konga, which is drastically different from Donkey Kong 64, which is drastically different from Donkey Kong Country. Gameplay-wise at least.

They aren't changing the story much, I can admit to that, but saying that they give you the same thing over and over is probably one of the biggest mistaken impressions you can have on nintendo. Let's look at some other examples. Take metroid. Metroid Prime is different from Metroid Prime Federation Force and is drastically different from the original Metroid games. Or Star Fox. Star Fox Zero is completely different from the original star fox games, and different from star fox assault.

Hate nintendo all you like, but while they do give you the same story the gameplay is so drastically different that it's almost fraudulent to say they are giving the same game. A more legitimate way to hate on them is just to say that they don't stick to a formula, even if it works. A big criticism of most nintendo games is that they changed too much, and not in a good way.

EDIT: While the games I think of when Nintendo comes to mind are dfferent, of course there are the games that are just basically rehashes, like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Fire Emblem (though this is changing as we get Fire Emblem heroes and that mobile game) and so forth. I'll also give you that, but the majority of games in nintendo IPs are radically different from one another, although this is usually a bad thing.

Last edited by s157,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
game play i find barley changes, its basing off its current gimmick controller, but taking that away the game play for me remains the same.

for example the new mario, like any other your game play will be run around a map, collect coins, stomp on enemies and collect a star to then gain access to more levels to do the same thing then fight bowser.

how you control the game means shit to me if the actual game itself is the same thing.

its kind of the reason games like Mario64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy i could never complete because yes they all have slightly different game play controls but i find each of them share the same story basically and the same type of game play.

@sarkwalvein i actually liked your reference to DOOM, back in the old days it was amazing to bring a 3D feel on a 2D console, but now when i play it i think fuck me how the fuck did i manage to control this game without being raped to death.

this is one game which i mentioned in another post when a nintendo fan called me a sony fanboy, which is funny to say because Ive been playing my 360 the most recently playing DOOM 3, now as a sony fanboy id dispise any console other than sony?

but DOOM 3 was (in my eyes) epic for the series, it back then had amazing graphics and brought a whole new feel to what DOOM was before, but then came DOOM (PS4/XBX1) and trust me when i say this, it didn't impress me.

I think it failed to keep its horror feel, it looked far too cartoony and just felt like a shit blood n gore shooter with no story, just mindless run and shoot and repetitive levels.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same gameplay? Take off the gimmick controller and then the game practically isn't the same game anymore. Hell, most nintendo IPs actually change genre within the franchise. Metroid goes from side-scrolling shooter to FPS to the disgusting thing we have on the 3ds. Star Fox goes from standard space shooter to beat em up to airplane simulator with a weird-ass control set-up. Donkey Kong goes from side-scrolling platformer to 3d platformer to racing to rhythm.

The actual game being the same to you is just basically the story being the same. Gameplay and control scheme, and even point of view would be key parts of a game. And yes, while some games do use it repetitively, least certain ones like fire emblem change the story (which I what I assume you'd want).

Disclaimer: I don't support Nintendo (actually I am very displeased with them right now), nor do I think their games (least recent ones) are great, but if you're going to hate on them, do it properly. Reliance on gimmicky controls? That's reasonable. Same story entire time? Workable. Weak hardware compared to other consoles and thus less 3rd party support? Almost undeniable. However they don't give you the same game over and over, and because of that it's often come back to bite them in the ass.

Reactions: GBAFail

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Your examples are not quite good IMHO.
You are saying games are all the same based on they having the same base storyline.
But you don't really talk about the gameplay, that is what matters to tell if they are different or not.

On the other hand I could recall 700 versions of DOOM, they changed textures and map, called the game a different name, inserted a different plot and called the characters other names, and even so with completely different plots I would call those games clones (same gameplay)

That isn't the same situation as mario kart 8 though, where it is practically the same textures and map and name. The game play in all racing games is going to be pretty much the same, as you accelerate steer and brake.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same gameplay? Take off the gimmick controller and then the game practically isn't the same game anymore. Hell, most nintendo IPs actually change genre within the franchise. Metroid goes from side-scrolling shooter to FPS to the disgusting thing we have on the 3ds. Star Fox goes from standard space shooter to beat em up to airplane simulator with a weird-ass control set-up. Donkey Kong goes from side-scrolling platformer to 3d platformer to racing to rhythm.

The actual game being the same to you is just basically the story being the same. Gameplay and control scheme, and even point of view would be key parts of a game. And yes, while some games do use it repetitively, least certain ones like fire emblem change the story (which I what I assume you'd want).

Disclaimer: I don't support Nintendo (actually I am very displeased with them right now), nor do I think their games (least recent ones) are great, but if you're going to hate on them, do it properly. Reliance on gimmicky controls? That's reasonable. Same story entire time? Workable. Weak hardware compared to other consoles and thus less 3rd party support? Almost undeniable. However they don't give you the same game over and over, and because of that it's often come back to bite them in the ass.

i dont have a problem with metriod, hence why its never been mentioned, star fox as such adventures was great it added new gameplay but also kept the original.

but no, the gameplay is what you do when playing the game, not how you control it, that is the control style of the game, i am talking about the actual gameplay..... and nintendo do recycle the same over and over, just with the next current gimmick controller.

if you take mario odyssey - its gameplay will be exactly the same as mario sunshine, other than its some what feels like a sonic adventures clone. you will run around a level collecting coins and stomping on enemies and collect (possibly) a star to end the level, now might then make you enter same level again to do the same thing just slightly different and you keep doing this until you face bowser.

other than its controls, how is the gameplay/story not the same, just different levels and better graphics.

and as the poster above put, and before this threat got out of hand with the usual peeps defending nintendo, this game is just another recycled title.

if nintendo cant be arsed to release new content, then why do you think third parties dont bother giving the support the other systems get (its not just hardware)

Last edited by ,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That isn't the same situation as mario kart 8 though, where it is practically the same textures and map and name. The game play in all racing games is going to be pretty much the same, as you accelerate steer and brake.
I totally agree, that is the reason I said:
All that said, I agree with you that lately* most Nintendo games seem kind of stagnated and are quite samey, like e.g. MK7, MK8, MK8DX.
* lately: the last 10-15 years, feels like yesterday.
MK8DX takes the word clone to the most literal interpretation.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont have a problem with metriod, hence why its never been mentioned, star fox as such adventures was great it added new gameplay but also kept the original.

but no, the gameplay is what you do when playing the game, not how you control it, that is the control style of the game, i am talking about the actual gameplay..... and nintendo do recycle the same over and over, just with the next current gimmick controller.

if you take mario odyssey - its gameplay will be exactly the same as mario sunshine, other than its some what feels like a sonic adventures clone. you will run around a level collecting coins and stomping on enemies and collect (possibly) a star to end the level, now might then make you enter same level again to do the same thing just slightly different and you keep doing this until you face bowser.

other than its controls, how is the gameplay/story not the same, just different levels and better graphics.

and as the poster above put, and before this threat got out of hand with the usual peeps defending nintendo, this game is just another recycled title.

if nintendo cant be arsed to release new content, then why do you think third parties dont bother giving the support the other systems get (its not just hardware)

You'd really have to strip the games down to its bare bones mechanics to say they are the same, though at least I see what you mean now. If you take away the games main feature (for SMG it would be the spin and star pointer and for sunshine it'd be the FLUDD) and then you have mario 64. Story much have a huge importance for you then, as it's the same with so many other IPs.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'd really have to strip the games down to its bare bones mechanics to say they are the same, though at least I see what you mean now. If you take away the games main feature (for SMG it would be the spin and star pointer and for sunshine it'd be the FLUDD) and then you have mario 64. Story much have a huge importance for you then, as it's the same with so many other IPs.
no i think your taking it the wrong way and rather too far.

again i find it hard that something simple cant be understood, if you remove what ever controller your using, is mario gameplay not the same thing or am i wrong, take mario 64 is it not the same as mario galaxy or even mario sunshine?

only difference is, mario 64 is set in the castle, mario sunshine is set in space mario galaxy is set on sunny isle.... location different, story the same, gameplay (level objectives) are basically the same thing.... as mentioned above.

its not about if you have fludd or shooting stars or a cap that is alive...

Last edited by ,

wiewiec

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In my opinion what Nintendo doing is upset for me. I have lot of systems becouse I like collecting this things. I will get Switch someday but will wait till prices drops. Now I am happy of playing it on Wii U.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no i think your taking it the wrong way and rather too far.

again i find it hard that something simple cant be understood, if you remove what ever controller your using, is mario gameplay not the same thing or am i wrong, take mario 64 is it not the same as mario galaxy or even mario sunshine?

only difference is, mario 64 is set in the castle, mario sunshine is set in space mario galaxy is set on sunny isle.... location different, story the same, gameplay (level objectives) are basically the same thing.... as mentioned above.

its not about if you have fludd or shooting stars or a cap that is alive...

Taking it too far? Maybe.
Strip down most recent Mario games and you'll get mario 64. Normally I'd say planet hopping in SMG or cleaning up the mess in the island in SMS would be enough to differentiate it from the 64, but it doesn't stop that most of mario's moves are practically identical to the n64 game. As far as Mario games go, if you're willing to denounce all additional features and just concentrate on the fact that you have Mario 64's moves and are trying to stop bowser (or bowser jr)'s nefarious scheme, yes they are the same. Controller means little in there.

However, that's not the case for all games. Some of them, even broken down to the basics, revolve around the controller. Take away the funky motion controls of Skyward Sword. This game practically would not work without the WiiMote. Gameplay is reliant HEAVILY on it. Or take the donkey kong games, which vary drastically in genre alone. The same gameplay titles for you are basically limited to anything with Mario in it's name. Most other games don't fall under this.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Taking it too far? Maybe.
Strip down most recent Mario games and you'll get mario 64. Normally I'd say planet hopping in SMG or cleaning up the mess in the island in SMS would be enough to differentiate it from the 64, but it doesn't stop that most of mario's moves are practically identical to the n64 game. As far as Mario games go, if you're willing to denounce all additional features and just concentrate on the fact that you have Mario 64's moves and are trying to stop bowser (or bowser jr)'s nefarious scheme, yes they are the same. Controller means little in there.

However, that's not the case for all games. Some of them, even broken down to the basics, revolve around the controller. Take away the funky motion controls of Skyward Sword. This game practically would not work without the WiiMote. Gameplay is reliant HEAVILY on it. Or take the donkey kong games, which vary drastically in genre alone. The same gameplay titles for you are basically limited to anything with Mario in it's name. Most other games don't fall under this.
not at all.

example

how can you put it, end of the day mario is basically the same thing, if you can find me one mario title that your objective is not the same thing then ill happily say sorry.

so yea sunshine you cleaned graffiti, but your still doing the same as in any other mario game, enter a level collect coins and star, repeat process, gain more stars to unlock more levels to do the same thing and then fight bowser.

your saying because it has a different control style or a side companion that its gameplay is not the same, yet it kinda is, its the control style thats different.

here is an example.

how is twilight princess game play for the wii any different to that on the cube, nothing, your game play is the same minus the cube your using a controller and the wii using a wiimote, then also compare to wii u, again game play is the same other than the controller your using.

so the same is like with mario, its game play is the same thing recycled, just a different location and controller.

we can even see the perfect example here with MK8.

all nintendo care about is releasing the same titles with very little change, its like EA keep re releasing FIFA, its the same shit, different kits, better graphics, the controller changes but the game play remains the same.

Last edited by ,

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
anyone can speculate how much the size in gigs of MK8 Deluxe will be ?
as i changed my mind and will not pre-(nor order) the physical.

i will be tired of waiting, i want a game to play on my switch, it has been laying around for like.. weeks.
i only have Fast rmx on it and some demos.. XD

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And almost guaranteed to be far less laggy than Wii U's online play.
As long as people continue to use a wireless connection instead of hard wired, i doubt it. Would only use wifi when not using the system in the docking station.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP

atlboyz_247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and what have i been saying for all these years, nintendo just recycle the same games.

yet people seem to insist nintendo have the best first party exclusives..... WTAF..... this is the reason i get bored of nintendo consoles/games because all they do is release the same titles you find on older systems and its the same thing with a slight graphic upgrade.

now take away these titles and what is there really?

im sure some devoted fan will come forcing their opinion as fact, refusal to see that the above is just a recycled game or even then mention some other game for some other system because they cant handle the truth or anything bad about nintendo (thus me thinking erm.... isnt that what makes a console fanboy).

dont worry, nintendo fans will blindly rush out to rebuy this game, why do you think nintendo didnt make it a launch game, so those fans waiting for this game will now rush out to buy the game and console (if they dont own one) thus giving the console a sales boost.

give it 6 months (i initially said a year but hey ho) and watch the switch have next to nothing other than the usual shovelware or last gen ports

As a defense for Nintendo here, they release sequels of their main series games for different reasons...either as a new game with maybe completely different game mechanics, similar game mechanics and different environments, or essentially game ports. What's wrong with that? As was pointed out by other posters, other game companies do this as well. Assassin's Creed has multiple iterations with many of them sharing the same mechanics and differing in the environment, as is with many top name games (Far Cry, Call of Duty, Doom, Dishonored, Fallout, etc.). People maybe want a Mario Kart 8 on the go without many changes and now they have it. Mario Kart 7/8/8Deluxe may be the same game in a new skin, but they same one fundamental difference in that they're on different consoles.
You may not enjoy their games but a vast amount of people do.

As you've have directly stated, Nintendo games like Sunshine, 64, Galaxy share a similar mechanic in which you run around for stars and are attempting to save Princess Peach? And how Zelda games require you defeat Ganon to save Zelda? That's Nintendo's gimmick, and it's one thing to bust their chops on how they're mechanics aren't faithful to their fan base with some releases ( I'm looking at you Federations!!) Nintendo's releases differentiate themselves enough to warrant their release for the following reason.

If Nintendo released SSBMelee or rerelease Brawl on the Switch as a port (as MK8D is also mostly a port with small changes and DLC), it's different in the way that the game is now Portable and HD.

Ocarina of Time was great, so why not make another Zelda game that either fans or open world lovers would love to play too? BotW differentiates itself far enough to warrant being called the game that broke from the formula.

So forgive me to say that Nintendo shares a similar aspect to ALL game companies in that they want to market their IPs in video games with either small changes to huge changes as does other companies like Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, Namco (Need I say more?).

Using your argument technique, does Halo need more changes in their releases? Does Sony need flack for release remasters for games like God of War/Uncharted/The Last of Us/etc? How do these games differentiate themselves from their predecessors? They either do or don't in the same way Nintendo games do. (I don't want to say it's a Sony exclusive problem as you can see this happens on all 3 console manufacturers consoles and on PC).

It feels like you're intentionally bashing Nintendo without feeling the need to realize that this is what Nintendo HAS TO DO to make a buck and that they try to be different when they want to and they aren't ignorant in most of their releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/videos-not-working-on-certain-sites-w-ms-edge-browser.645937/