Mario Kart 7... Uh.... Where's the 3D ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Ben_j, Nov 30, 2011.

Nov 30, 2011
  1. Ben_j
    OP

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    I've just got Mario Kart 7, and one thing is striking me : the 3D effect is close to inexistant... What is the use of putting a slider to deactivate 3D if there is no 3D at all ?

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    The game isn't released in Europe until the 2nd.

Also, maybe you just can't see it, it happens with some people.

3. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    I read that they have the 3D like the "Pop-out" 3D in Mario 3D Land. Mario/the driver is close to the screen, so if the race gets heated/you use tilt controls your character won't ghost too much. Does that make sense? I'm jealous people have the game already; I'll have to wait till December 21st.

4. MADKATZ99

Member MADKATZ99 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Small retailers have been selling them, places in Switzerland were selling them a week ago!

5. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I don't have it yet, but from the reviews I've read the 3D isn't "in your face" but is instead subtle and gives depth, like in SF64 3D.

6. jimmyemunoz

Member jimmyemunoz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I hope I'm not disappointed with the 3D effect because I just love 3D.

7. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I've got the game, the 3D is absolutely stunning. Really makes you feel you're inside the game when driving. It's one of the best 3D games out there IMO.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ben_j
    OP

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    I was disapointed by SF64 compared to the (3D) videos but it seems like it's worse in Mario Kart. As for other comments : I don't use tilt controls, I dont "just can't see it", I've had a 3DS since day one, and I can clearly see when the 3D is just not used. The only thing that seemed to make good use of the 3D was the lense flare effect on Kalimari Desert :/

I have the impression that Nintendo is withdrawing the 3D a little so that people don't get headaches, etc... I never had any headache from 3D and there is a 3D slider that's made for adjusting the effect for fuck's sake !

9. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Then why do you think thats the reason...
    Im pretty sure that the 3DS 3D is made for depth and distance, I dont have it so I cant say if this game is using it or not but I do know if its anything like Star Foxes 3D then it shouldnt be too blantant that the 3D is there (kinda like real life) but it also gives it noticable depth.

10. alexbulluk

Newcomer alexbulluk Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I got it yesterday (30th) and have been playing it for some time.

I wouldn't agree that the 3D is "non existant". It's just more subtle than say, SM3DL.

But, that isn't a bad thing. I really don't think MK7 would suit strong 3D. The action is too fast for a strong 3D effect. I really think much more would give people some serious headaches.

11. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Fast movements combined with strong depth and the immersion that comes with it may induce some bad headaches or even nausea. i know, it sounds ridiculous, what with it seeming to be "all in the head", but crazier things happen for stuff that's "all in your head".

12. Terenigma

Member Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

United Kingdom
    Yeah its not really as noticeable as say dead or alive, some things do really stand out tho like the blooper and lakitus lap signs. I think its best tho on levels with underwater sections, the fish and stacks of coins really give you a sense of the 3D

13. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    I totally think Nintendo is doing this for just that reason. DSiware is loud enough to drown out a rock concert, so I know the 3DS is capable of putting out some volume. 3DS content OTOH is barely loud enough to be heard w/ even mild background noise, especially the video channel. Now they're moving on to the 3D effect.

Hey, Nintendo! Not all of us who own a 3DS are little children who don't have the sense to not put on headphones and crank the volume till our ears bleed, or leave the 3D slider cranked even though it's giving us a headache. You want to protect the kiddies from themselves, fine, make it an option in the parental controls, but let ME decide how loud and how strong the 3D is on MY 3DS. :-p