Mario Kart 7 Local Multiplayer Region Free ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Disizdream, Nov 30, 2011.

Nov 30, 2011
  1. Disizdream
    OP

Newcomer Disizdream Advanced Member

France
    Hi,

I'm in France and I have an american 3DS, so I buy only american games.
    I want to buy an american Mario Kart 7, but I want to know if local wifi multiplayer (with each gamers having one cart) will work between the PAL game and the USA game ? (in order to play with friends here in France)
    Until now, there seems to be no specific rules... Streetpass, Pokedex 3D, Street fighter 4 are working great. But Starfox 64 3D, Dead or alive dimensions, Zelda four sword 25th anniversary are not working (we can't find each other when trying to play together).
    So if anyone has tried this configuration, please tell me if this works or not ?

Thanks !

2. mrkael

Newcomer mrkael Member

Brazil
    I'm wondering that too. I guess we'll only know when people test it since some games work and others do not.

3. Josephvb10

Member Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Costa Rica
    Well, some months ago I read that -at least- the download mode is region locked. Can you confirm that?

And also, I think that Nintendo likes to put region locks in their games (SF 64 3D, Zelda) so I think that they will lock the multiplayer on Mario Kart 7, but it's only a guess.

4. chemistryfreak

Member chemistryfreak GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    If I am not wrong...region lock only applies to download play and not Online/Local multiplayers...so if both parties have the game then they should be able to play with each other~

5. Disizdream
    OP

Newcomer Disizdream Advanced Member

France
    That's right Download play is region locked for every games, and I can understand that because the sent executable is probably signed for a specific region. But for local wifi multiplayer it depends of the game. What I don't get is why a game released worldwide the same day, being exactly the same, each gamers having his own cart, won't work in local wifi multiplayer... I guess there is no logical reason and that pisses me off..

6. cearp

Member cearp the ticket master

Tuvalu
    (i don't care how old this thread is, it applies to what i want to write about perfectly)

(mario kart 7 was being used with gateway)
    yes, i loaded up mario kart 7 (eur) on a european console, went to set up a local multiplayer game, and nothing appeared on the download play area of the japanese 3ds.
    also, i thought if i used gateway to run the eur game on the japanese 3ds, and then create a local multiplayer game, that the european 3ds would be able to connect etc - but when i tried to create a local game, mario kart told me something like 'connection error'...

very annoying how nintendo had to region lock DOWNLOAD PLAY... so petty.