Mario Kart 64 - Who plays this still?

DrGlitch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been playing this for quite a few years. Back to when I owned the original N64 console.
However only just now learning about all the glitch's in the game. I've been studying on how to do them with perfection.

I can do a few already, Rainbow Road being one... and Wario's Funland or whatever it's called dlol.

I think Mario Kart 64 is probably by far the better Mario Kart in the entire series? agree?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's far from my favorite, in part because of the drifting mechanics (at least when played on a keyboard) and the lack of a regular VS mode in single player
(I did play it multiplayer on a real N64 controller - first time I saw that console and hated the fact you had to use the analog stick - at a friend's house, but I was far too young to remember the details, loved the hard shortcuts though)
At least you can clearly see where you are going at all times, which is not a given on the SNES and GBA ones :)

toxic9

Trophies
XP
Country
I agree.. MK64 and Double Dash are the most fun of all!
I remember playing with 4 controllers with my friends on old tiny CRT's!
The looser gives the controller to another person waiting to play!
I learned several MK64 secrets by myself! I spent hours trying to cheat! No internet on that time for me!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Used to have loads of fun playing this with my family as a kid, used to play 4 player battle mode all the time which was quite fun in those days.

Every now and again my fiancee and I will play MK64 on our Shield TV in the bedroom when we feel like it. Always a good time doing that, it's the one Mario Kart game I feel I could always return to without being bored to tears like I get with the rest of them.

Reactions: x65943

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which mario kart game has the best control? Most of them seem so awful at being able to just turn or drift... i mean "power slide" kinda like F-Zero. :blink:

Then when I play Sonic Sega All star racing transformed, everything just feels much better. :ninja:

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IMO Wii's Mario kart is the best of franchise, wiimotion offers the funniest way to control bikes/karts.

I knew you can play MK8 on wiiu through Wiimote or joycon's gyroscope on Switch too, but somehow there's huge gab of delay input which make it nearly unplayable.

Last edited by leon315,
D

Deleted User

wiimotion offers the most funniest way to control bikes/karts.
I tried playing MK Wii and the forced motion controls were an absolute sin. It would have been easier playing it with a bloody brick!

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Toads turnpikes track backwards multiplayer so many banged pads and swear words:lol: but yeh the controls and gameplay were superb and getting tht orange smoke drifting was a must

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried playing MK Wii and the forced motion controls were an absolute sin. It would have been easier playing it with a bloody brick!
It doesn't force you to use motion controllers, classic/gamecube controller are also supported, but Wiimote was better implemented on WII with almost 0 delay, which i couldn't find that on MK8.

You know all basic gamers are used to play games at one and most classic way: just keep pressing bottoms, Mario Kart wii was revolutionary for me and for most of you too.

Too bad that gyro on MK8 sucks ass.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii's Mario kart is the best of franchise, wiimotion offers the funniest way to control bikes/karts.

Wii64 allows you to play some games with the wiimote controls. I remember Star Fox 64 being interesting. I want to say MK64 was too, but it's been a long time.

On topic, I'd say MK64 is probably my favorite of the series. I don't tend to play multiplayer, so that's not much of an issue. I rather like most racing games, though, so it's not like I dislike any of the MK series. Honestly, though, I played Super Mario Kart the most so am best at it. *shrug* If you want a similar experience on the PC to Super Mario Kart I'd recommend Wacky Wheels much over Skunny Kart.

zomborg

Makin Temp great again
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not played MK64 in many a moon but it's one of my all-time favorites. I remember back when it was first released. It was the most fun game I had played up to that point. My brother and I and at least 2 others spent countless hours playing. I remember nintendo power announced a competition in which you had to try to get the fastest time on time trials for the Mario raceway track. All you had to do was take a picture of your best time and mail it in. The winner received a gold N64 controller.
We had some fast times but nowhere near fast enough to win the controller but we still had fun trying.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Played MK64 in the N64 era, very rarely play it today.
Must admit that it was a massive improvement over the original one.
Not to bash the SNES one but eh ;p

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...