Gaming Mario 64 successor may be next Wii U Mario

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Super Mario 64 is, without question my favourite game. Having it been my first experience with 3D environments and the amount of time spent growing up as I collected all those stars, I for one have been disappointed by the lack of effort to produce a true successor, and the recent new direction of the Mario series to have completely turned it's back on Mario 64 completely.

First of all, there was the original direct sequel titled Super Mario 64 2 that was to be made for the Nintendo 64DD which was cancelled before even a single trailer or screen was even revealed. What we do know was that the game would have 2-Player Multiplayer, and Luigi would be playable, having not appeared in the original game at all. The game would have been released in 1999, however due to the lack of progress and the failure of the 64DD the game never saw the light of day. Then there was Super Mario 128, a game that for several years Nintendo insisted was in development for the GameCube. Unlike Super Mario 64 2, there is actual footage of the demo which consists of 128 Marios walking around a... Circular Monopoly Board or something:

Although the demo was more of a proof of concept, for 6 years we were led to believe that it would evolve into a brand new 3D Mario game. It was promised for reveal on several occasions, but not a single time did it ever actually make an appearance. But in 2007 we were to find out Nintendo were just pulling our strings the whole time. Miyamoto revealed that Super Mario 128 was simply a tech demo to show off the GameCube and it never was going to be a full game, despite Reggie having reported that the game was making steady progress a few years prior. But the idea of 128 Marios running around together was ported to Pikmin, so hey, not a total loss.

Super Mario Sunshine is probably the closest to a sequel Mario 64 has had. The game involved the same open-world style as Mario 64, it retained a goal of collecting 120 stars (though in this case it was Shine Sprites). But what the game failed to deliver to it's predecessor was the same character. The F.L.U.D.D. gameplay altered the gameplay far too much, and the diversity of content was not nearly as varied, every level was island-themed and many Shine Sprites could only be obtained through the mind-numbing Blue Coin hunt (which is practically impossible without a guide).

Super Mario Galaxy and it's sequel returned the gameplay to a more 'Mario' state, but the problem that was faced was that the world was no longer a sandbox, which was Mario 64's signature. The gameplay was restricted to a far-from-open path from A-to-B, per the 2D Mario games.

This 'linear' trend sparked a whopping 8 games in a row to ditch the open world theme that defined the first two 3D Mario's. And until recently, Nintendo has shown no intention to return 3D Mario back to it's playground roots. Until now...

It's safe to say that the announcement of Super Mario 3D World had quite a mixed reaction. Those content with the linear style overjoyed, whereas those hoping on the next-gen Mario on the Power Star, packed big adventure were disappointed say the least. But recent quotes from Nintendo developers suggests that those disappointed may only have to wait until the next instalment.

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
We did not set out trying to define the future of Mario action games with this title. Rather, we're just trying to find some fun new elements that we can incorporate. So for example, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility of us creating more games in the vein of Super Mario Galaxy, for example. What we're trying to accomplish here, is just to create a really good entry point for new players into the Super Mario 3D games.

Yoshiaki Koizumi said:
I don’t know if we can consider Super Mario 64 as an open world game, but I think Super Mario Sunshine is more consistent with that definition because of the city and entire worlds to explore. Our main standpoint with Super Mario is to ensure that players always know where to go. It’s for this reason that we have given great importance on the placement and visibility of the flags, particularly in Super Mario 3D World.

Yoshiaki Koizumi said:
Again, as creators, we want a large number of people to be able to play and enjoy the game, so it’s sort of our duty to ensure that the objectives are clear to everyone. However, if a very large number of players expressed the desire for a more open Mario, we would take that request very seriously.

If you ask me, if it meant getting a sequel to Mario 64, i'd be on the next flight to Kyoto to ask for it personally.

Discussion time!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mario Galaxy was a better game. Mario 64, you get one star, go back into the level, and you're just retreading old ground. Mario Galaxy, the level changes.

Reactions: Arras

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pick Mario 64 over Mario galaxy, I didn't like to whole going around planet type concept. There wasn't much freedom to one level because you kept jumping from one place to another.
Mario 64>Mario galaxy
Mario Sunshine>Mario galaxy
Mario 64=Mario sunshine

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Mario Sunshine was supossed to be Mario 64 succesor, but it fell short, the concept was there but it lacked the polish of Mario 64. Super Mario Galaxy is a master piece in its own, it was more linear arcadeish more similar to classic 2D Marios which allowed alot of platforming experiments. Super Mario 3D World feels even more close to classic 2D Marios, than Mario 64, so they are not directly comparable.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't see a reason for all this conspiracy theory mumbo-jumbo - just accept the fact that Mario games have aged and they're not like in the Nintendo 64 days anymore.

zachtheninja

Honorary Ninja
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be nice to see a SuperMario64 style game in HD... but I doubt that Nintendo will ever create a non-linear Mario game.

D

Dork

Why do people keep making these kinds of threads? The most misleading titles and then "hey guyz would it b cool if this happen discuss :^))"

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why do people keep making these kinds of threads? The most misleading titles and then "hey guyz would it b cool if this happen discuss :^))"

I don't think the title is misleading at all. Hence the word "may" and not "will".

The whole thread is based on the premise that it's been mentioned that an open-world Mario may be coming, if there is sufficient demand. And this is a discussion board so please, excuse me for trying to spread the word so the developers may actually consider making this game.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
God, Sunshine and Galaxy were so much better.
If you really want a a game like sm64 BUT far better,play the banjo kazooie games.
Besides sm64 is a very short game.

Anyway I personallly am SO GODDAMN TIRED of collecting stars. shinesprites etc.
Looking forward to supermario 3d world.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[Mario Sunshine] but it lacked the polish of Mario 64.

Of the many adjectives I could use to describe Mario 64 I do not think polished would be one of them. I am never quite sure what people disliked about Sunshine either (other than FLUDD being up there with Navi and Clippy in the support characters I would be inclined to headbutt).

I am drawn to wonder what continuity there might be between the DS version of 64 and the original.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yep I have to admit, SM64 isn't the greatest game ever but it's still my favourite game and I think there's a ton of potential for a new open-world Mario.

Before 3D World was announced, I had envisioned the next 3D Mario to be set in a huge landscape. Not divided into level-by-level factions, but a huge Grand Theft Auto-style Mushroom Kingdom which was packed with things to collect and characters to interact with. (and an actual narrative story to motivate me through the game). As the game progresses, more areas become available like hidden caves, secrets below the ocean, and hidden in the clouds above the kingdom. You could chose to progress through the story, travel across the Kingdom and find huge Castles containing Bosses to defeat or you could just run around aimlessly, travelling the Mushroom Kingdom and finding fun things to do.

But unfortunately, the Mario series took a different direction. Instead it's "look, there's a flagpole over there! Here's a Mushroom. Here's a Fire Flower. Go touch the flagpole. By the way, there are about 20 1-ups you can find in this level, so it's ok if one of the two Goombas in this level touches you. Also there's a time limit, it's not like it's a challenge to get to the flagpole in time but it's just so you can't play around freely".

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not once did they even hint at there being a SM64 sequel in development.
But I would love to see one.

Well, it has been mentioned that an open-world Mario will only come to light provided there's the demand for it, and that's the key here.

Assuming Iwata was right and there'll only be one 2D "New" Super Mario Bros. title per console, a second 3D game for Wii U is the most likely option for the next game, and we're being given the opportunity in advance to show Nintendo how much we want a new Mario like 64 and Sunshine.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Mario Sunshine was supossed to be Mario 64 succesor, but it fell short, the concept was there but it lacked the polish of Mario 64. Super Mario Galaxy is a master piece in its own, it was more linear arcadeish more similar to classic 2D Marios which allowed alot of platforming experiments. Super Mario 3D World feels even more close to classic 2D Marios, than Mario 64, so they are not directly comparable.

Mario Sunshine was fantastic, not quite SM64 level but still amazing. Galaxy 1&2 were ruined because of the damn nunchuck controls, could never get into that gimmick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent +1