1. Boesy

OP Boesy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Going from Mario 64 3DS and Mario 64 HD, playing my Mario 64 DS cartridge on my 3DS XL just feels outdated and rather limited (it's in its 4:3 OAR). Plus, holding a button to run seems like a moronic idea, that should happen naturally.

So, just gonna stick to the far superior fan-ports over Nintendo's ports (DS, Switch).

Hard to go from this (and the 3DS port)

[​IMG]

To this..

[​IMG]

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Super Mario 64 DS was released in 2004 for the original Nintendo DS. That was before Nintendo DS Lite existed.
    It was an excellent game for its time.

Lightyose, sup3rgh0st, CeeDee and 9 others like this.
  3. Boesy

United Kingdom
    I don't deny that, at that time it was amazing, but it didn't age well. Nintendo Switch's Mario 64 looks to go down the same route.

4. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic ™

United States
    Am i the only one who thinks the above image looks kinda ugly?

zxr750j, sup3rgh0st and XAIXER like this.
  5. wash

wash Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Mario and the coins looks pretty crisp at least.
    On the 3ds image everything looks blurry.

6. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Gbatemp’s official Scott pilgrim fanatic ™

United States
    To be those are the ugliest parts, they kinda stick out

sup3rgh0st likes this.
  7. Boesy

United Kingdom
    The touch screen buttons are frankly the part that kinda annoys me the most. Hopefully there'll be a version without it.

8. Rafciu

Rafciu GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    I play DS version on my phone, and yeah graphics style is not that great but there is additional characters like my man Wario. Modding scene are focused on mods and upgrades for the original version, hopefully someone can do good things for DS version aswell (hi res graphics or some graphics packs)

9. luigirockz

luigirockz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I grew up with the DS versions so it's nostalgic to me. Was hoping Nintendo would have done a proper remake with this version on the 3D All stars release

Lostbhoy likes this.
  10. BORTZ

BORTZ The Amazing
    Supervisor

United States
    That HD version looks like a photoshop joke job lol
    Id rather play the OG over something like that.

11. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Hat Kid

Brazil
    DS games look better on a DS screen. A DS game even in a normal 3ds's screen... looks... off. I'd rather play this game on a DSi XL.

RobXcore and CeeDee like this.
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Didn't like the Nintendo DS's version piss poor voice compression. It was awful.

XAIXER likes this.
  13. TheUltimaXtreme

Newcomer

United States
    DS games in general don't usually hold up graphically. You're talking worse texture size, render size, lots of jaggies, most DS games will generally look pretty poor, regardless of DS vs 3DS XL. However, I lend that to just be a style of DS games in general. Try going back to the two Zelda games with WW artstyle, there's no way in hell you can say those games have aged well graphically. It's just that DS look.

Getting past the general DS look though, 64 DS is a definitively worse experience from the gameplay perspective. Acceptable in 2004, maybe, but now that we have the original game ported to the 3DS, there's no point in going back to 64 DS for any reason other than nostalgia for that specific version of the game, or for the small handful of extras it may hold. I'd wager it'd be a better move to re-engineer the 64 DS additions into a mod, then post that version on the 3DS as a full on "Super Mario 64 3DS" that still features the higher polycount 64DS Mario model, the full 800px mode, proper analog control, and the extra stars to just make 64 DS a completely moot point.

14. CeeDee

CeeDee Zany to the Max

United States
    I can't tell if that's using the render96 modelset, but honestly from that screenshot it ain't lookin too hot. AFAIK render96 really benefits when you're playing it on PC with the highest res assets you can get. Not to mention the mishmash between low res original assets and the upressed Mario / coins...
    That's exactly my takeaway. DS games just don't look all too good on the 3DS. 64 DS seems like it'd be fine enough to play on a DS or DSi. 3DS... well, less so.

Scott_pilgrim and Stealphie like this.
  15. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

United States
    well... here's the issue.
    the 3ds has a bigger screen size, and more pixels. Not by a whole lot, but the original ds was really small. Nintendo tried to do some upscaling?, which for most games, kinda made it look worse, some faired better than others. If you play in original ratio, and or on a original ds, or ds lite, it genuinely looks really good.
    I honestly perfer sm64ds, mostly for the content and better visuals. (they do look good when the ratio is kept the way it should be)
    keep in mind your comparing a unofficial version of sm64 (pc super mario 64) to a device that was insanely weak, released in 2004.
    Though if we are talking sm64ds to sm64. yeah no, sm64ds still looks better. If you argue jaggies, keep in mind again, that's due to the up scaling of it. Also your using a ign image. which was most likely posted in around 2006.
    [​IMG]
    if we take this image (ingoring all jaggies since this is again, blowing up the image.) it generally would look fairly good.

Rafciu likes this.
  16. danny19901

danny19901 GBAtemp Fan

I think it's android port tbh the pic of hd version but Mario 64 is best on PC

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

17. kirbymaster101

kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Did you hold select/start while launching ds games on your 3ds? They look garbage upscaled.

Scott_pilgrim and Stealphie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Mario, looks, awful