www.free-ftp.org
XP
Country
Here is marcan's response to this:
http://teknoconsolas.es/blog/waninkoko/anu...ueva-aplicacion

QUOTE said:
My 6-hour trip to the Dark Side
March 29th, 2009 by marcan

Warning: rant and drama ahead. If you’re not into that sort of thing, feel free to skip over the following.

Time and time again, Waninkoko’s apps have just been thin wrappers around existing code or tools written by others. His Filesystem Dumper came about when I told him about the GID 0 TMD trick. WAD Installer showed up after I reverse engineered the ES interface and added the relevant functions to libogc. His first DVD warez launcher showed up after the IOS Module Toolkit appeared, to which he added DVDX and some old Gamecube code. And just now, his USB warez launcher appears mysteriously 22 days after a USB2 module for IOS was released.

The only strange part is that it took him all 22 days to get it to work.

All his later apps have included advertisements, and the official downloads all required signing up for his sponsoring site, which also requires that you sign up for an e-mail spam service. He’s definitely making a pretty penny out of his particular version of the “scene”.

Now, this would ordinarily be just one more episode of waninkoko hyping up ad-riddled trivial warez-friendly applications built on top of other people’s code and work. However, some interesting things happened. He hyped up the release date of the video on his blog, and the mass amount of page reloads around the time caused his sponsoring site to go down. They also claim that there was a DDoS attack involved. I followed this hilarious situation on the ElOtroLado forums, and correctly predicted that the hyped app would be a USB warez launcher before it was revealed. Of course, he is once again being revered as a scene god by those who don’t know any better.

Then I got accused of the supposed DDoS. (No, I had nothing to do with it)

Teknoconsolas administrator Xtreme, who doesn’t seem to like me that much, started firing shots using a cheesy music literature reference where Waninkoko is Mozart and I’m Salieri. Insults galore, apparently I’m now a “wannabe waninkoko”. Though the analogy kind of breaks down when you consider that I’m responsible for walking Waninkoko through his beginnings on the Wii scene (and boy do I regret that).

So I figured, how hard could it really be to replicate Waninkoko’s loader? After all, as I said, all the pieces are there. So I set out to create my own USB warez launcher, starting off from publicly available bits and pieces, in the shortest possible amount of time. Maybe this would help people understand just how trivial it is.

The answer? It takes about 6 hours.

This is the rough progress log of my very own venture into the Dark Side:

Start time: 3am (CEST, just after the DST change in Spain)

* 3am - 4am: copy game to USB, screw around, think
* 4am - 5am: get build structure in order, make IOS + installer, add gecko debugging to it
* 5am - 6am: add EHCI driver to build and make EHCI driver work right
* 6am - 7am: make USB storage work, add DI commands
* 7am - 8am: adapt PPC loader code, debug apploader
* 8am - 8:20am: debug apploader some more
* 8:20am - 8:30am: fix MEM1 globals and finally get the game to boot
* 8:30am - 9:30am: clean up and debug

I recorded a video of the result. It’s a crappy loader, of course, but the point is that the core functionality of the loader - the only thing that could possibly be innovative - took all of 6 hours to write and debug. Many extra features could be added, like proper NTFS filesystem support, a cache (this loader has none and it still loads fast!), multiple game support, a built-in game ripper, and enough ads to make you gag, but those are just boring bits of icing on the cake. And the reason for this is that the core USB loader code is not innovative at all - it’s just an amalgaman of the following existing components: IOS36, the USB2 module, the IOS module toolkit, some random apploader launch code (this dates back to the GC era), some bits of Gecko OS to make it work, and a small amount of original code.

For obvious reasons, there is no chance in hell of this ever being released.

What follows is a video of the launcher loading a copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl (which I own the original to, of course). Pay attention to the USB drive’s activity LED.

(Yes, I spam thunderbolt.)

So there you have it. The 6-hour warez launcher.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Thanks to bushing for editing the video for me.

Source (English)
Source (Spanish)

If it is really this easy to make, then all those who are waiting for one
won't have to wait very long.

EDIT:
Waninkoko has responded to it:

QUOTE[ENG] My 6-hour trip to the Dark Side (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)

29/03/2009 por ( Waninkoko )

This entry is a reply to marcan's message: http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side

Also, I would like to say that I did NOT cancel the USB Loader (I've got hacked at GBATemp).

Ok, you already demostrated you're very smart, you know how to program very well and you are able to make an USB Loader in 6 hours. But I think you're lying to the people making them believe that I'm a sucker and very bad developing software for the Wii and that you are pretty good and you do everything very well.

It's cool that you were able to load a game from USB in just 6 hours, congratulations! If I'm not wrong, I was able to load Hamster Heroes from NAND in 30 minutes. I don't know if it was a record or not but I don't care.

Despite what you might believe, I know too how to make an USB Loader in 6 hours (maybe it takes me a few minutes more). Then, why it took me 22 days? Well, these are the "possible" reasons:

* I don't know how much free time you have but I don't have enough (because of university), and I don't want to waste it all developing for the Wii (you know, I like to watch TV shows, movies and those things that you maybe don't know, who knows).

* Maybe you think that I was working in this project since the EHCI driver was releaed... well, I think you are very wrong :S

* I have been working in this project with kwiirk (EHCI module for IOS developer). We comunicate each other through e-mail, so it's easy to guess that this caused many delays.

* Probably in the case of your video, you just took an USB hard disk, copied a game in raw (using "dd"?), and made a specific loader. And yes, that takes a few hours to do it. In my case we had to develop a file system (called WBS, I would implement NTFS but I don't like too much, really) to have the possibility of add/remove/extract games easily. Logically this takes MORE than 6 hours to develop, and before implementing it we need to think how it's going to be structured, etc. (design phase, that's what I learnt from a subject called "Software Engineering").

* I suppose you haven't optimized this application nor worked in a "pretty " and intuitive interface for the user. As all programmers know, this part normally takes too much time, specially if you don't like designing interfaces...

* There are more reasons, but I think I wrote all the important ones and I don't want to make this entry bigger.

I see that you say that many of my applications are just simple interfaces. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't know, maybe the functions you reversed from the ES and added to libogc were there just to watch them and I see how good they are or something similar. I thought they were there to be used by the applications (even those ones that are simple or useless).

Also, I would like to talk about the advertisement (yes, that one you like so much) at the beginning of the video I released yesterday. I don't know why you are so bothered about that advertisement of a sponsor (I repeat, SPONSOR, if you don't know what it means search it in the dictionary). I think that advert still didn't kill anybody, you're complaining because you want to complain about something... Also, I don't force anybody to watch the video.

About the rest (DDoS attack to Teknoconsolas, that I'm a very bad programmer...) I'm not going to say anything (and no, I'm not saying that you are under the DDoS attack).

Well, and that's all. Now I have some free time so I'll try to fix a bug in USB Loader.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok, it only took him 6 hours... wow... awesome... dose it have all the same features as Waninkoko's?

I personally can't wait for this. Now I only have to use my disc's once. Load it onto a HD, then forget it!

I'll admit, I do pirate some, but it's only to test out the game to see if I like it. I have a HUGE library of Wii titles that are store bought. Now at least I don't have to worry about them getting scratched if something happens to the drive, and I might even be able to remove my modchip!

This is something Nintendo should have come up with!

As for marcan's rant, at least we didn't have to listen to him studdering and talking faster than the micromachines guy... he's got a serious chip on his shoulder that really needs to be knocked off...

here's an idea for you marcan... stop riding bushings coattails, and if you don't like the progress of such "warez" apps, stop releasing the so called tools needed to make them!

You can't really sit there and cry like a baby when someone uses your work for what you call "evil" purposes... it's always going to happen, and you can't stop it unless you stop publishing your work.

I'll take an app developed over 22 days to ensure it's bug free than an app done in 6 hours that can be a bricker. As for Waninkoko's apps being "ad-riddled"... I have yet to see a single app of his come with a single ad. and before you go attacking others for having ad's on their website, you might wanna remove the google ad's from hackmii.com and stop getting revenue for that... hypocrite!

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
where has there ever been a single ad in any of Waninkoko's apps? can someone please find a SINGLE instance of this?

ohyeah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
ok, it only took him 6 hours... wow... awesome... dose it have all the same features as Waninkoko's?

"(..) but the point is that the core functionality of the loader - the only thing that could possibly be innovative - took all of 6 hours to write and debug." by marcan

QUOTEAs for marcan's rant, at least we didn't have to listen to him studdering and talking faster than the micromachines guy... he's got a serious chip on his shoulder that really needs to be knocked off...

here's an idea for you marcan... stop riding bushings coattails, and if you don't like the progress of such "warez" apps, stop releasing the so called tools needed to make them!

You can't really sit there and cry like a baby when someone uses your work for what you call "evil" purposes... it's always going to happen, and you can't stop it unless you stop publishing your work.

You didn't get the point of the response, did you?

zidane_genome

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
[ENG] My 6-hour trip to the Dark Side (Episode II: Attack of the Clones)

This entry is a reply to marcan's message: http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side

Also, I would like to say that I did NOT cancel the USB Loader (I've got hacked at GBATemp).

Ok, you already demostrated you're very smart, you know how to program very well and you are able to make an USB Loader in 6 hours. But I think you're lying to the people making them believe that I'm a sucker and very bad developing software for the Wii and that you are pretty good and you do everything very well.

It's cool that you were able to load a game from USB in just 6 hours, congratulations! If I'm not wrong, I was able to load Hamster Heroes from NAND in 30 minutes. I don't know if it was a record or not but I don't care.

Despite what you might believe, I know too how to make an USB Loader in 6 hours (maybe it takes me a few minutes more). Then, why it took me 22 days? Well, these are the "possible" reasons:

* I don't know how much free time you have but I don't have enough (because of university), and I don't want to waste it all developing for the Wii (you know, I like to watch TV shows, movies and those things that you maybe don't know, who knows).

* Maybe you think that I was working in this project since the EHCI driver was releaed... well, I think you are very wrong :S

* I have been working in this project with kwiirk (EHCI module for IOS developer). We comunicate each other through e-mail, so it's easy to guess that this caused many delays.

* Probably in the case of your video, you just took an USB hard disk, copied a game in raw (using "dd"?), and made a specific loader. And yes, that takes a few hours to do it. In my case we had to develop a file system (called WBS, I would implement NTFS but I don't like too much, really) to have the possibility of add/remove/extract games easily. Logically this takes MORE than 6 hours to develop, and before implementing it we need to think how it's going to be structured, etc. (design phase, that's what I learnt from a subject called "Software Engineering").

* I suppose you haven't optimized this application nor worked in a "pretty " and intuitive interface for the user. As all programmers know, this part normally takes too much time, specially if you don't like designing interfaces...

* There are more reasons, but I think I wrote all the important ones and I don't want to make this entry bigger.

I see that you say that many of my applications are just simple interfaces. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't know, maybe the functions you reversed from the ES and added to libogc were there just to watch them and I see how good they are or something similar. I thought they were there to be used by the applications (even those ones that are simple or useless).

Also, I would like to talk about the advertisement (yes, that one you like so much) at the beginning of the video I released yesterday. I don't know why you are so bothered about that advertisement of a sponsor (I repeat, SPONSOR, if you don't know what it means search it in the dictionary). I think that advert still didn't kill anybody, you're complaining because you want to complain about something... Also, I don't force anybody to watch the video.

About the rest (DDoS attack to Teknoconsolas, that I'm a very bad programmer...) I'm not going to say anything (and no, I'm not saying that you are under the DDoS attack).

Well, and that's all. Now I have some free time so I'll try to fix a bug in USB Loader.
Leer más Enviar a un amigo
Mi viaje de 6 horas al Lado Oscuro (Episodio II: El Ataque de los Clones)

Esta entrada es una respuesta al mensaje de marcan: http://hackmii.com/2009/03/esp-mi-viaje-de...-al-lado-oscuro (por si no quedaba claro).

Aprovecho para decir que NO he abandonado el USB Loader (alguien hackeo mi cuenta en GBATemp).

Vale, ya has demostrado que eres muy listo, que sabes programar muy bien y que eres capaz de hacer un cargador por USB en 6 horas. Pero creo que estás engañando a la gente haciendoles creer que soy un inútil y un chapuzas programando software para la Wii y que tú eres muy bueno y lo haces todo muy bien.

Me parece perfecto que hayas conseguido cargar un juego por USB en sólo 6 horas, ¡enhorabuena! Si no recuerdo mal, yo conseguí cargar el Hamster Heroes desde la NAND en 30 minutos, no se si será un record o no pero me importa mas bien poco.

A pesar de lo que tu puedas creer, yo también se hacer un USB Loader en 6 horas (quizas tardo unos minutos más). Entonces, ¿por qué he tardado 22 días? Muy bien, aquí van las "posibles" razones:

* No se cuanto tiempo libre tendrás tú pero yo no es que tenga mucho (universidad), y la verdad es que no me apetece gastarlo todo programando para la Wii (ya sabes, me gusta ver series, películas y esas cosas que quizas tú no conoces, quién sabe).

* Quizás crees que desde que salió el driver EHCI he estado con este proyecto... pues creo estás muy equivocado :S

* He estado trabajando en este proyecto con kwiirk (desarrollador del módulo EHCI para IOS). Nos comunicabamos únicamente por e-mail, por lo tanto es de suponer que esto ha conllevado muchos retrasos.

* Probablemente en el caso que muestras en tu video, simplemente has cogido un disco duro USB, has metido un juego en bruto (¿usando "dd"?), y has hecho un cargador específico. Y efectivamente eso se tarda en hacer muy poco. En mi caso ha habido que desarrollar un sistema de ficheros (llamado WBFS, implementaría NTFS pero es que no me gusta mucho ese sistema de ficheros, la verdad) para tener la posibilidad de añadir/eliminar/extraer juegos fácilmente. Lógicamente esto se tarda MÁS de 6 horas en desarrollar, además de que antes de implementarlo hay que pensar como debe estar estructurado, etc. (la fase de diseño del ciclo de vida de un software, o eso es lo que me enseñaron en una asignatura llamada "Ingeniería del Software").

* Supongo que tú no habras optimizado ni habrás trabajado en una intefaz "bonita" ni intuitiva para el usuario. Como todo programador sabe, esta parte suele llevar mucho tiempo y más si lo tuyo no es el diseño...

* Hay más razones, pero creo que he puesto las más importantes y no quiero agrandar esta entrada.

Por lo que veo también comentas que si muchas de mis aplicaciones son simples interfaces. ¿Hay algo de malo en ello? No sé, quizás las funciones que reversate del ES y pusiste en libogc eran para que las pudiesemos contemplar y ver lo bien que estaban hechas o algo parecido. Yo pensaba que estaban ahí para ser utilizadas por las aplicaciones (por muy simples que puedan ser o poco útiles).

También me gustaría hablar del anuncio (sí, ese que tanto te gusta) al comienzo del vídeo que publiqué ayer. No se porqué te molesta tanto que salga el anuncio de un sponsor (repito, SPONSOR, si no sabes lo que es buscalo en el diccionario) . Creo que ese anuncio todavía no ha matado a nadie, ni perjudicado a nadie, vamos, que te quejas por quejar de algo... Además, yo no obligo a nadie a ver el vídeo.

Y sobre el resto (ataque DDoS a Teknoconsolas, que si soy muy mal programador y un chapuzas) no voy a comentar nada (no, no te estoy acusando del ataque DDoS).

Bueno, eso es todo. Aprovechando que tengo un poco de tiempo libre, voy a corregir un bug en el USB Loader...

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
In the video it says it loads 'pretty fast'
He clicked it and it was loaded in a sec or so
blink.gif

But I don't think Marcan is going to release it
frown.gif

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've lost all faith in the Wii scene. There's too much drama, filthy competition, more drama, anti-scene attitudes, and yes, even more drama. Whatever.

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They only thing I don't get is why. A skinny nerd calling out a fat nerd. Homebrew/Piracy are the same thing in the eyes of Nintendo. So why the internel war?

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mm, sounds like Marcan is just jealous of the fact Waninkoko was taught by him, and is a little less skilled than him, yet is still receiving acclaim from a lot of people out there because he's done something to help piracy. Marcan wants the attention, but isn't going to do what will win him that (helping piracy), so he just has a bit of a hissy fit so all the 'real scene-followers' know who's boss.

Kudos to Waninkoko for trying not to provoke him any more and just being honest. Even if he did actually freeload code off other people, he's the one who can be bothered to come and release it and put it together as a package. What's Marcan doing? Doing fun little experiments with the Wii and moaning about the state of piracy and the Wii and all that stuff.
Obviously correct me if he is now working on something useful, because I might be wrong aha.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the stuff he works on is useful; it's just that people think otherwise because it doesn't directly help them pirate.

Honestly, I think that marcan does have some good points, but he's not going to win support for himself by bitching and flaming. At least Waninkoko was somewhat respectful. As much as people hate the comparisions, the Wii scene is looking to surpass the PSP scene in the whining aspect.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
zidane_genome said:
where has there ever been a single ad in any of Waninkoko's apps? can someone please find a SINGLE instance of this?

all of his updated apps have an add for teknoconsales (may not be spelled right) and even that video he released of his usb loader had an add for cheap blank dvds

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Nottulys said:
Did he have a HDD with 2 USB slots? or was it a firewire?

he used a double usb cord as he had a laptop hdd in a case so it required more power than a single usb port could handle

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    the L hdmi adapters work great on my tv and receiver. so much less stress on the ports using them than regular cables. in that instance anyway.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vga pins were a dick