Hacking marcan gets USB Gecko to work on Wii U

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, sorry to say, I have to disagree with "Team Twiizer's stuff has never bricked a (public) Wii"
HBC network connection issue caused a lot of problems for months (years?).
And some people bricked their wii while installing priiloder which crashed because of that issue in hbc.
I know that they don't like to hear it but that's the reality and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Err is human, right?
And of course I say it without detracting from their work, which is absolutely amazing.
There was a bug in HBC, yes, but it didn't cause the bricks. Thorough testing should have stopped the priiloader installer ever being released publicly in a state that it would brick due to that brick. And no Team Twiizers code was running at the time of the bricks ;)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
He just said his opinion, without waiting for a reward, he doesn't double/triple/multi post, he doesn't auto-quote himself to bump topics just to wait for someone else reaction, He doesn't push people to release information that they can't have, he doesn't troll anymore (he did, but that's not even funny anymore ;) )

It's not what you write which make people irritated, it's your comportment on the forum, the way you post.
At least, stop multi-posting: There's a EDIT button!it's not just to hide your post's content.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
lol there is none so deaf as he who will not hear.

@Stalkid64X
Please read my previous post more carefully.
1. I never said that Priiloader is part of TT work.
2. I never mentioned HackMiiInstaller.

@SifJar
Yeah, as you said, no Team Twiizers code was running at the time of the bricks and that's the point.
In fact the crash happened because the callback didn't exist anymore.
Here are more info about that issue in case you need it.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-fix-the-connection-issue-while-running-in-ahbprot-mode.301061/
BTW sorry for the font size in that post. I think something got corrupted when gbatemp has been hacked a few months ago.
Anyways we're getting OT so I won't reply to any subsequent comment about this argument, at least not here in this topic.
So I'm going to leave you with a simple question and answer: who was in charge of cancelling the async request? For sure not priiloader.

Reactions: mike333

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1). Then it isn't their code and isn't their fault. No more than running one of Wanky's hackjob "programs" is.
2). If it isn't something that is part of the HackMii installer such as the bootmii component or HBC itself, it isn't their fault if outside software bricks anything. It's not their job to make sure other people code their shit properly like they do.
So we end again on square one. There are no proven instances of TT/f0's work EVER bricking anything, which was the only point being made.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never said my opinion of Wanky at all, I simply stated that bricks are a part of hacking. Everyone in the PS3 scene is praising Rogero to no end right now, but only a couple months back his 4.XX firmware bricked a bucket load of machines.

It's not his fault, all he did was say "hey I got this to work, here it is" and everyone (well the eager beavers) jumped on board without waiting to see if it was safe to do so. You have to know that no matter what anyone says, with hacking there is always a very real chance of a brick. I tell myself this every time I flash something, whether it's a wii, a ps3, a 360 or my router and is also the reason why I won't do it for anyone else.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It never was my intention to start questioning waninkoko or TT considering the safety of their hacking software.
It was only recently when GiantPune released Casper that it was possible to do some failsafe wii hacking.
It allowed you to run bootmii and make a backup of your wii nand, before you modified anything on it.
That backup makes it possible to restore the nand contents in case of problems.
Restoring is not something everybody can do, but Deadly Foez knew pretty well how to desolder the nand chip for reprogramming.
The xbox1 was much more fale safe to hack. It's eeprom contained the key needed to calculate the password used to lock the harddisk. Even when things really got bad, a simple IIC reader could read the contents of that eeprom chip.
So, basically, the one we could blame for all the bricks is Ninty. Even an official update could cause a brick if the power went out during that update, and they had no plan B to fix it.
But, it's getting even more off topic than previous posts. So may I kindly ask, before you press the reply button, to take a look at the topic title? I just did but have 2 much of an ego to not hit it.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Anything new, even from #wiiudev? Gecko? What for? New progress or comments dropped by sven, comex, marcan? Not sure how refocusing thread on topic makes me a dickhead or troll but surely, within 5 minutes, somebody will call me one, and not read;-)
"What for?" - marcan stated when he posted the image, in the caption, the purpose: "Abusing a USB gecko to debug Wii U stuff."

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Stalkid64X
I think that everything is accurately explained in my previous posts (especially the one I linked before).
It would seem that you cannot even understand some technical stuff made as easy as possible, but I'm 100% sure you can if you only want.
I could try to clarify things with a simple diagram, you know, seems to be a common practice nowadays - Any resemblance to real persons or actual facts is purely intentional. :lol:
But I'm too lazy to do it right now, so I can only repeat myself once again
lol there is none so deaf as he who will not hear.
Bye bye

lampjese

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
lotus-gaming.org
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why start blaming people, be glad they made the time to make it and release it for you.
The bricks are users own fault by not doing there home work on what other peoples experiances are before installing it.
If you are eager to install it right away you know there is some risk.

Reactions: rednekcowboy

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
When people started having bricks it was because Nintendo released a new version of the SM IOS, but people weren't aware of it yet until MANY MANY consoles bricked, and it was Wanky's software that caused it. He then coded another "Safe" Updater in the same fashion that downloaded the newest SM IOS instead of a hardcoded version and again Nintendo stubbed the IOS again and MANY people bricked.

My point is, he sucks. What he did do was only able to be done from stealing code from other people. He did not do anything that someone else could do, and in fact he did things really poorly whereas many other dev's would have written better code.

In fact I know a person who writes batch files that is a way better coder than Wanky, way more people have used his app to do shitloads of things to their wii that is way more complicated, and it has never once bricked a wii.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Be careful when going to Wordpress sites, since plugins can easily be exploited with malware.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Be careful going outside you might get cancer
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Be careful touching, you might get STDs.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Already got a few aids they help me
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My phone is pretty secure the Chinese spies tell me it's really locked down and I probably should eat more fiber lol
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    This sponsor is brought to you buy surfshark
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    👈 Always touching 🍆
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, got excited when he heard about touch screen
    +2
    :unsure: What to have for lunch [12:57 pm] [tap, tap, tap.. 💡] brb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grindr date?
    +1
    Fish sticks
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Date sticks
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @SylverReZ I didn't say I watched either, did I?
    I didn't actively watch them, rather, I had the misfortune of witnessing that shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Wut? I don't understand.
    +1
  • LeoTCK tempBOT:
    LeoTCK has joined the room.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least maybe give context, the conversations going quicker.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Here we go
    +2
    Made chili cheese dogs with all the trimmings :D
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ah shit, here we go again. I ain't represented Grove Street in five years, but the Ballas won't give a shit.
    I am having fish sticks for dinner lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stop getting ancientboi excited psi
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stop getting ancientboi excited psi