Hacking marcan gets USB Gecko to work on Wii U

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Basically, the notation is "I exponent 2 C". It's much easier to write it down as I2C. If you google for IIC protocol, you will see many references to I2C as well. I assume they both describe the same protocol. SMBUS is also based upon this protocol.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Let's hope nintendo has provided an easy way to reflash the nand in case of problems. Maybe they learned something from the many bricked wii's because of Waninkoko that they got 4 repair.
Fixed!

Hopefully Wanky keeps his hands off this console. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that guy could even brick the logo turtle.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Long time ago I thought I read something correctly on Wii, this was like two years ago, and bricked it using his little tool. Thought I read it correctly and was only updating an IOS. might have removed one (must have). No bootmii, no priiloader, no nand backup; end of Wii;-( Oh well, nothing a good old Walmart special could not fix. Greatest price in the world at Walmart;-)

it was one of his updater programs that was bricking consoles.
Not sure for what system menu it was for but anyway it grabbed the latest ios file needed for the system menu from the nintendo servers.
Well it worked fine until nintendo released the next update in which case made the previous system menu ios file a stub and wankys updater still grabbed the same ios file which was now a stub.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was one of his updater programs that was bricking consoles.
Not sure for what system menu it was for but anyway it grabbed the latest ios file needed for the system menu from the nintendo servers.
Well it worked fine until nintendo released the next update in which case made the previous system menu ios file a stub and wankys updater still grabbed the same ios file which was now a stub.
That might have been it;-). Thanks for sharing that.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Exactly, that's the price to pay for hacking your system. There is always a risk, most people just don't understand the process and look for the first person to blame.
Funny how it's always the people who do understand the process that point the blame at waninkoko, and the people who don't that jump in to defend him. His code was bad, it bricked Wiis, it bricked PS3s. It's not a case of pointing blame at some scapegoat, he wrote bad software which caused bricks. That is fact.

Reactions: g4jek8j54

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Funny how it's always the people who do understand the process that point the blame at waninkoko, and the people who don't that jump in to defend him. His code was bad, it bricked Wiis, it bricked PS3s. It's not a case of pointing blame at some scapegoat, he wrote bad software which caused bricks. That is fact.
I agree that it was bad coding (specifically the lack of safety checks), but he didn't say "Hey, try this, it is 100% safe". I'm not defending his coding, but people accept the risks involved (even if they don't understand them) when they run an app.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that it was bad coding (specifically the lack of safety checks), but he didn't say "Hey, try this, it is 100% safe". I'm not defending his coding, but people accept the risks involved (even if they don't understand them) when they run an app.

Exactly. He never guaranteed any of his stuff was safe to use. I accepted the risk(s) when I used his 4.2 updater also. I was not one of the unfortunate users tho who did brick.
but, I NEVER EVER installed any of his PS3 CFW's. the bricking risks were way above my comfort level for risk taking, which goes back to what you said. people accepted the risk(s) when they ran his work.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
It's true Waninkoko made some mistakes that caused bricking but he also did a lot of good things for the Wii scene.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
...wankys updater still grabbed the same ios file which was now a stub.
Actually, wanky's Safe Updaters were designed to grab the latest IOS version. It was never hard coded to a specific IOS version.

Although wanky never promised that his Safe Updaters were actually safe, he spread them out everywhere and he did name them the Safe Updaters, so he in fact trusted his own coding that much. Wanky also never said to be careful with his software or that there could be a potential for issues, instead he just called them Safe Updaters.
It's true Waninkoko made some mistakes that caused bricking but he also did a lot of good things for the Wii scene.
He didn't do any good that other people could not have done. Hermes (a construction worker) made a cIOS also, and he never caused anyone to get a bricked wii. And just look at d2x right now, it has overcome a lot of issues that wanky said could never be fixed, and now that d2x started going on a roll wanky asked if he could help with it so he could get his name back in on it.

The fact of it is, wanky basically stole code from other people to make the cIOS's. He went into IRC asking TT for help and code examples and then took his first chance to make it work for piracy. If TT only knew what wanky's intentions were then they would have never done a damn thing to help him.

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not being a thieving pirate, I'd be exactly as happy as I was with the HBC. He did nothing but kludge together other people's work fairly similar to Geohot, with a little help from those who did know what they were doing and released for the glory the moment it "worked" at all. His work was inherently unsafe by (lack of) design. It was irresponsible and many paid a high price - often a deserved one for the desired ends, but anyway. One thing nobody can claim of TT/f0's work. Unaware of even one legitimate "HBC bricked my Wii" claim after all this time. These things don't "just happen". They happen if you don't take the time and care to test, reiterate and employ enough checks.

Reactions: SifJar

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not being a thieving pirate, I'd be exactly as happy as I was with the HBC. He did nothing but kludge together other people's work fairly similar to Geohot, with a little help from those who did know what they were doing and released for the glory the moment it "worked" at all. His work was inherently unsafe by (lack of) design. It was irresponsible and many paid a high price - often a deserved one for the desired ends, but anyway. One thing nobody can claim of TT/f0's work. Unaware of even one legitimate "HBC bricked my Wii" claim after all this time. These things don't "just happen". They happen if you don't take the time and care to test, reiterate and employ enough checks.
NEVER underestimate the power of human error;-) No matter how well something is made, human beings will find a way to make a brick. Just history here, not even really opinion.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sounds like some are able to talk on #wiiudev;-)
Obviously some people are able to talk there; it is a public IRC channel. This remark of yours makes no sense (getting used to that from you...)
NEVER underestimate the power of human error;-) No matter how well something is made, human beings will find a way to make a brick. Just history here, not even really opinion.
It sounds to me like you are contradicting Stalkid64X's point that Team Twiizer's stuff has never bricked a (public) Wii: if so, you're even dimmer than I thought. What he said is fact, I have not once read of any legitimate claim that anything made by TT has caused a brick. (I think one person maybe reported that he lost power during the BootMii/boot2 installation, but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the code).

Reactions: n1ckn4m3

d0rks0ul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
images

Ray I'm pretty sure Cyan warned you to stop trolling. The rest of you don't feed the troll.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, sorry to say, I have to disagree with "Team Twiizer's stuff has never bricked a (public) Wii"
HBC network connection issue caused a lot of problems for months (years?).
And some people bricked their wii while installing priiloder which crashed because of that issue in hbc.
I know that they don't like to hear it but that's the reality and there's nothing to be ashamed of. Err is human, right?
And of course I say it without detracting from their work, which is absolutely amazing.

Reactions: mike333

Stalkid64X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To that point , I'd inform you that Priiloader is not part of TT/F0's work, and was not actually made by them (which among other reasons is why I dont have it on my own Wii which ran through dozens of early non public HBC/DVDX tests that never bricked it either). It is not part of the official HBC installer or associated with it any more than any other homebrew program is just because it allows it to run. So again - no public verifiable bricking claims I know of have been made for the millions of HBC installs run. TT/f0 are not responsible for peoples internet and networking problems either. Particularly when who knows what else those users had installed.

Reactions: xBASSxMONSTAx

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad: