houst

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hello
If you are looking for an English Maplestory DS version, this is the place to get an update on it in 2021.

2021 Translation Update
Currently, there is NO working english translation for Maplestory DS version (actual english edited version, not machine translation).

I've tried to search on forums, but there is no well edited english version of the game.

However, I have made a version using a chinese translated rom and put in ALL useable english text from the previously abandoned projects. All objectives/menu/quest words are in english, story parts are in chinese

Summary
Pros:

- Complete English menu, keywords, names and objectives that makes the game playable
- Storyline in Chinese with actual readable grammar, with ENGLISH keywords highlighted
- Don't have to read a machine translated story

Cons:
- Some instructions text put key mapping instead of icon (e.g. text says press key "9" instead of ">" to move right, nothing you can't figure out yourself)
- Don't get to read the machine translated story

Should you try to use the machine translated version (from abandoned translation projects from years back)?
I don't recommend it, not only because the english is bad, but because text were misplaced.
I tried to play the 0.04 version and looked into the files, and somewhere down the line someone moved some text file to the wrong place, so in game you would see instances where some some dialogue definitely don't belong there (e.g. Menacing Pirate NPC enemy guy who you're about to fight says: "Saving.... please don't turn off your DS" or something like that).
Its not worth it.

Who should play this eng-cn version
I recommend this to anyone who wants a working rom with objectives laid out in english, without having to sit through paragraphs of machine translated story. This also can be for people who knows chinese, but used to play MapleStory PC in english and won't recognise the chinese names. The story is well written with some amusing scenes.

Credits to everyone in the past who worked on the v0.04 RedSnail version for the english parts.

DOWNLOAD / GET PATCH FILE
Get files

- Download "bspatch.zip", "maplestory_patch_v1" from link1, link2
- Obtain file "4893 - MapleStory DS (Korea) .nds" somehow through third party websites, check that the file size is 131mb, rename the original korean nds file to "4893 - MapleStory DS (Korea) .nds"

Patch and get rom
1. Unzip bspatch.zip into folder
2. Copy "maplestory_patch_v1" and maplestory rom into the same folder
3. Click "run_maple_patch.bat", give admin privileges to run bspatch.exe
- if this doesn't work, go to command line and type:
bspatch "4893 - MapleStory DS (Korea) .nds" "maplestory_eng_cn.nds" "maplestory_patch_v1"

4. Use resulting file maplestory_eng_cn.nds and start playing!

Happy Mapling!

Other stuff
How translation was done:
- I used a Chinese MaplestoryDS rom and unpacked it
- small note "chinese" text was not in chinese after unpacking as the chinese translator probably used a different way of unpacking
- Ran scripts to put v0.04 RedSnail's english translations within the chinese text to have the cn-eng blend of keywords
- Repacked the file
- After editing I created a patchfile using the most accessible maplestory file, the original kr version

See pictures for gameplay:

Attachments

• Maplestory1.jpg
    Maplestory1.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Maplestory2.jpg
    Maplestory2.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 186
  • Maplestory3.jpg
    Maplestory3.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Maplestory4.jpg
    Maplestory4.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 196
  • Maplestory5.jpg
    Maplestory5.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Maplestory6.jpg
    Maplestory6.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Maplestory7.jpg
    Maplestory7.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Maplestory8.jpg
    Maplestory8.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Maplestory9.jpg
    Maplestory9.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by houst,

LiamBrie

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello! I am dying to play this but I'd like to have the story in English too... Is there any chance of at least getting a newer machine translation for the dialogue and putting it in the game?

Paravane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also replying for a possible future update. Would also be willing to comb through and help with Grammer.

edo1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What unpacker did you use? 🤔 Am interested with this games... Bring old memories, was play maple online using dial-up modem :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: