Maplestory 3DS: The Girl of Destiny [100% ENG Patch][Release]

Please update to the latest version before reporting any bugs/crashes. Latest version says v1.03 during the game's boot.

Hey Everyone!

Today I'd like to introduce you to the English Translation of the game:
Maplestory: The Girl of Destiny (3DS):

ip3Qfyq.png

Current Progress: DONE (100% done)
We'd like to present you with the awesome release trailer made by SoyAlexPop for us:

It's out now!

We have worked hard to translate this game for the fans of the Maplestory series to enjoy. Maplestory 3DS is similar to it's PC MMO counterpart but is unique because it has a full story-line focused on an original main character named Mugi. The game features advanced mechanics like environment pieces you can use to help solve puzzles or even as weapons to defeat your foes (things like rolling boulders, lightning storm clouds, etc.).

It's a lot of fun and as fans of the game series we want to help you all to be able to enjoy it too.

The Team:
iser911 - New Lead Translator
(translated 50+% of the game).
WillTheLion - Project Coordinator, Translator & UI/GFX Text Editing
DavidKang- Translator (helped with Korean text)
Flyingsky - Text Translator and Tinkerer
Liomajor - UI/GFX Text Editing and Cut-scenes
Glitch - Text Translating + Cut-scenes
Vague Rant - Proof Reader and Script Editor

Honorable Mentions:
Sliter - Some Graphics
Truner - Logo Art
SoyAlexPop - Trailer Video
IcySon55 - Hosting the Translation Discord

Download Translation Patch v1.03 + NTR Plugin for Easy Use:

Features cleaner subtitles, Korean dubbed videos, a new banner with the actual English logo. A small bug that caused the Chief of Leafre to have blank text boxes has been fixed.

Release time! All crashes and bugs fixed. All proofread and corrected. Also we found a new way to create the .ctpk image files that greatly lowered the file size and maintained 100% quality so the patch is now has much faster load times.Here's the links to the update:

New version 1.03 NTR patch: http://www86.zippyshare.com/v/P0BGr8Ju/file.html

The crash was caused by our .ctpk taking up too much VRAM during the final boss because of how big and animated he is. He takes up lots of memory. This and all other bugs have been fixed. This in theory is the "definitive version".

Please update to the latest version before reporting any bugs/crashes.

Hello Player!

This is the v1.03 version of the game. The text has been proof-read and many bugs/crashes have been fixed
since our initial release. There shouldn't be any more crashes but please if there is a crash let us know!

IF THE GAME CRASHES: Please take note of the name of the map where you were before it crashed
as well as the portal you tried to take that caused the game to crash.
~IF you know how to use JKSM to export your save, if you'd like to export a copy of your
save file from right before where it crashed that could be helpful too.

All that having been said, we're hopeful that all bugs have been fixed, and hopefully you won't have any issues.

If you still find a crash let us know here please: https://discord.gg/xkyPhSX

If you find some broken color tags or text that goes of screen feel free to tell us what
the message said and we'll fix it quickly. Or post a screenshot that'd be even better!

Thanks again guys! We hope you have as much fun playing as we did translating this for you!

-WillTheLion

The easiest way to use the patch is to use the NTR plugin Flyingsky has made for use with the the patch and the game. Or you could always check that one iso site.

1. You need the NTR Firmware to use the layeredFS plugin​
2. Install it.​
(If you can't start NTR using those 2 files make sure you have tick "SysNAND is updated (A9LH-only)" in your A9LH options)​
3. Then copy the plugin folder to the root of your SD card.
Copy all the changed files into a folder called "maple" on the root of your SD card.

4.Start NTR on your 3DS and start your game (cartridge or cia doesn't matter).

The maple folder uses the same folder structure as the normal romfs uses and as such can also be used inside your own romfs file if you would rather use HANS.

If you'd like to use these in your own game with HANS by dumping your own romsf folder, and then copy and pasting the files from the maple folder into your dumped/extracted romfs folder (replace the original files), and then rebuild your own romfs. Name it 00111600.romfs and put it in the 'hans' folder on the root of your sd card. Then run the game cart or cia through hans in the homebrew launcher.

Here's a good guide of how to extract and rebuild your own romfs: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms.383055/

Even though we've now translated 100% of the game, we still intend to refine this to make it better. We'll also fix any bugs or crashes if any come up. Please let us know of any problems you have and we'll happily fix them.​

Last edited by WillTheLion,

Dentora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wanted to say Thanks! I have always loved Maplestory games especially some of the the small spin-off story mobile games so this is awesome!

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks to @Truner we have a new alternate logo text. What do you guys think? Do you like it?

xBlpMBw.png

If needs be I could post a screenshot to compare with the one in the release.

Reactions: SoyAlexPop

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
News update time! Chapter 1 is 95% translated!
We're making good progress through the rest of the game's translation as well. We're doing our best to make sure that the translation is as true to the original as possible. And as such we are actually playing through the game and translating as we go through. Then after translating we replay translated sections to check for grammar/spelling issues as well as to verify that it all makes sense together.

Because of the way we are translating it takes time. But it also means that it will be the best translation the first time we release it.

Each of the team members is playing and working on translating a different chapter in the game so as to speed up the overall progress.

I don't want to share any story details at this point in time, but I promise you guys it's well worth the wait. There's lots of mystery and excitement to it!

Stay tuned. :yay3ds:

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been about a week, I figure it's time for a status update!

I found a way to count the number of translated text boxes and have found that we have translated approximately 2606 of 5002 text boxes.
That's 52% of the total game translated! (Not including the images that we translated in that calculation.)

It's been about a month and half since we started and I personally feel like that's phenomenal progress for what seems to be so short a time frame. That probably means that we might have a full 100% translated patch maybe in about a month or so.

Other Random Updates:

All of Chapter 1 is 100% translated.
Other chapters are progressing well.
We found a way to subtitle video cut-scenes. (Thanks to Liomajor & Glitch.)

Dentora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Awesome that's great to hear! just curious take as much time as you guys need but, are we gonna get another updated version before you guys finish or are you just gonna wait till you are 100% to release an update?

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk

hyprskllz

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
So, how many chapter does this game has?
It's pretty nice to see this progress.
Would you work on the NDS game when this completes?

Flyingsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Would you work on the NDS game when this completes?

As far as i know the NDS version only has a korean version, and nobody of us can speak korean.
So we most likely won't work on the NDS version.

Edit: lol do your resarch before posting >.<
There is a Japanese version. But i still don't think that we will be working on the NDS game.
Maybe someone of my team want's work on it, but i don't really want to, to be honest

Last edited by Flyingsky,

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question. Are you guys translating from scratch or do you use google translate to expedite the process? Just wondering how the translation process goes

WillTheLion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question. Are you guys translating from scratch or do you use google translate to expedite the process? Just wondering how the translation process goes

I guess saying we translate from scratch is the most accurate answer to your question. At least if I understand your question that is.

For example, we don't just upload the file into googletranslate to translate it for us. this because it messes up all the formatting of the file, and because sometimes google struggles to make a coherent translation, either because the context is misunderstood by it or because markup symbols for coloring the text messes up the translation.

It's just easier to work from the original file with the original Japanese/Korean intact still.

A single textbox looks something like this:

Code:
    <row id="0054">
        <comment>BattleMage/NC0401Talk0302/01</comment>
        <language name="Japanese">ロンシャ師匠とロンは親子だろ?
だけど性格は全然違うからなー。</language>
        <language name="Korean">롱샤 사범님과 롱은 부자지간이잖아.
근데 성격은 정말 다르다니까~</language>
        <language name="English"></language>
    </row>

Sometimes if the Japanese doesn't make sense or is confusing in some way we will copy and paste the Korean version into google translate or bing translator (I use both usually to get a second opinion of sorts if you will).

We use Jisho.org for help with Japanese Kanji or phrases we don't know/understand because it's very through and breaks it up piece by piece with all the possible meanings. It teaches understanding instead of just a direct translation from japanese to english. This is especially helpful because translating is more about conveying ideas (the intended meaning) not just a robotic word for word translation (which is more what raw google/bing translate give you).

To give you an idea here's what Google/Bing give for both Languages when translating that exact line up there.

Japanese (Google):
Commentators teacher and Ron would parent and child?
But I because personality is completely different.

Japanese (Bing):
RonCa he and Ron are you family?
But personality is completely different from a-.

Korean (Google):
Rongsya sabumnims thats rich and long span.
But because nature is really different -

Korean (Bing):
Long Sha's and long's rich over the liver.
But nature is really different-

As you can see not one of those results would make much sense by itself without some fix up. Some stuff just get's totally off the wall (gibberish) or confused meanings when put through it.

I'd translate this like this instead:

Master Ronsha and Ron are father and son aren't they?
But their personalities are completely different.
Which is clear and makes a lot more sense. That's why online translator websites aren't the only tool that you need to find the best translation. They can be helpful for finding a translation but some brain power is usually required after using them. :teach:

There's other things we have to take into account when translating too. And that's making sure that the text fits on the screen. Character dialogue boxes can have up to 3 lines/rows of text per box, each with a limit of no more than 43 characters per line otherwise it will run outside the text box and off screen.

So I'd have to take even that phrase I translated up there and separate it like this to make it fit:

Code:
Master Ronsha and Ron are father and son (41 characters)
aren't they? But their personalities are (41 characters)
completely different. (22 characters)

So it can be a bit time consuming to do. Depending on the complexity of the stuff being said 10 text boxes could take you anywhere from 30min-2hrs.

It's also important for us to realize who is saying what. So we usually play to that point in the game to get the context of who's saying it, who they're saying it to, and why they are saying it. This makes it so we tend to jump around from file to file because not all the text that's ever displayed in one area is displayed on the first time through. So we have to revisit files multiple times to get all the text done.

Well that got long fast... :blink:

TLDR:

Online Transltors = Tools.
Translate ideas not words.
Quality results takes lots of work/time.
Text boxes unlike forum posts have limits to how much text you can put. :rolleyes:

Last edited by WillTheLion,

Flyingsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Err... Korean here. If the translations are awkward I can help. Played the whole game in Korean. PM me if you want.
We would appreciate any help. Thank you for your offer!

In my opinion online translators are useless, UNLESS you only look up single words. Because as Will said nothing makes sense.
If you really don't understand the stuff, review the corresponding grammar and look up the words.
After that, in case i still don't understand, i always try to search for keywords/expressions (like idioms) on google and read the definition in a japanese dictionary, or something like that like http://www.weblio.jp/.
The japanese wikipedia is also pretty useful sometimes.
After that it's mostly clear what it means, (given you understand what's written in the dictionary or wikipedia).
But if all that doesn't help, ask other people for help, it's no shame to not know everything, languages are pretty complex after all.

That's how i go about translating in a nutshell.

Reactions: renhei

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?