Hacking Many newbie questions, please help me

miss_nakano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So, I bought a pre-hacked switch. Actually It was a new switch that was immediately hacked after I chose the unpatched switch I wanted(the seller demanded he hacked it for his extra income and so that I wouldnt ruin the switch myself, which is not bad of a reason). He put the most convenient method for me to access CFW(donge and autorcm) which is indeed convenient. But then again, I don't really know anything beyond these information. I'm trying to understand the switch hacks better for myself. My questions are:

1)In a newbie guide that I read, it mentioned creating emummc. How do I know if I had this already? The seller didn't mention this to me at all.. Also, do you have to make this?what if the seller put AMS in my sysnand already and it is already dirty?do I still need to make emummc(this is emunand right?). If I have no intention to go online, will I still need emummc?Is emummc's purpose to protect your switch from nintendo seeing your dirty nand?In 3ds, emunand drain its battery more than if there's no emunand, is this the case for the switch as well?

2)I have a ns-switch atmosphere dongle..do I need to "update" this dongle's software ever? the new 9.00 just come out. Do I need to update the dongle's "firmware" or just update my switch's firmware?I still don't really understand these payload things..

3)It seems that it is very easy to brick the switch..Anything I should be wary of?

4)I really want to see the Hekate tools option but the switch always immediately boot into atmosphere(after bunch of logos). How do I access hekate?

thank you very much.

Dave_Chad

Trophies
XP
Country
Just finished a nightshift so I'll be brief but as clear as I can in my answers,

1. If you put your sd card into a pc and check it there may be an extra partition around 30gb, this would indicate emuMMC. You can also boot the Hekate payload and it should show as active in the emuMMC settings. EmuMMC has multiple purposes, it can be used to keep your SysNAND clean so you can still use online. It also is a good protection against updates and dodgy software as if you brick your emuMMC you can just remake one!

2. The dongle doesn't update with your firmware. It updates with the custom firmware updates. If you update to Atmosphere 0.9.3 then you need to update the dongle with the correct fusee-gelee.bin that matches that atmosphere version.

3. It's actually very hard to brick the Switch properly. An mmc backup is an absolute must and you can always recover with this!

4. Does the Switch show the Hekate menu at all with those splash screens? If not then it is probably booting fusee-gelee.bin directly. You can replace the payload on the dongle with the hekate payload.

Sent from my VOG-L09/Huawei P30 Pro

Reactions: miss_nakano

miss_nakano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Just finished a nightshift so I'll be brief but as clear as I can in my answers,

1. If you put your sd card into a pc and check it there may be an extra partition around 30gb, this would indicate emuMMC. You can also boot the Hekate payload and it should show as active in the emuMMC settings. EmuMMC has multiple purposes, it can be used to keep your SysNAND clean so you can still use online. It also is a good protection against updates and dodgy software as if you brick your emuMMC you can just remake one!

2. The dongle doesn't update with your firmware. It updates with the custom firmware updates. If you update to Atmosphere 0.9.3 then you need to update the dongle with the correct fusee-gelee.bin that matches that atmosphere version.

3. It's actually very hard to brick the Switch properly. An mmc backup is an absolute must and you can always recover with this!

4. Does the Switch show the Hekate menu at all with those splash screens? If not then it is probably booting fusee-gelee.bin directly. You can replace the payload on the dongle with the hekate payload.

Sent from my VOG-L09/Huawei P30 Pro

Sorry, I still want to ask some more questions..

Regarding question 2
I checked it already that my ams is 0.9.2. So that means my dongle is matched with ams 0.9.2 right? But I didnt see any fusee-gelee.bin for 0.9.3 in the ns atmosphere website..there is only hekate_ctcaer_5.0.0.bin payload in the website. So which payload should I update to the dongle? Fusee-gelee.bin(where do you get this) or hekate_ctcaer_5.0.0.bin?

Regarding question 4.
I was able to finally get into hekate menu by pressing vol - (this was because the auto boot is on). I didnt know about this at all before and I still do not know anything about the fusee-gelee.bin.

Do you think it is worth it to upgrade to 9.00 I am still at 8.10..If i decided to stay at 8.10 do you think I should upgrade ams 0.9.2 to 0.9.3

Thank you.

miss_nakano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
There's no need to update anything for the sake of it, just enjoy the Switch. You'll know if you ever need to update.

So, what about you? Are you still on 8.1.0 too like me? I'm asking because 9.0.0 seems to be unstable right now..otherwise I'd update.

miss_nakano

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes, I'm still on 8.1 and was holding off updating until all the kinks have been ironed out and homebrew updated to work properly.

I'll stay on 8.1.0 as well then. I just thought I'd update now to save the hassle later on, but there seems to be many problems as of now like you said.

By the way can I ask something?
In hekate, I saw my fuses it said:
Burnt fuses(ODM 7/6): 10 - 0
What does that mean? What does 10 - 0 meant?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1