Manual Transmission vs. Automatic Transmission

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by RebelX, May 19, 2009.

?

Pick one

1. Manual

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Automatic (includes manumatics)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RebelX
    OP

RebelX GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2008
    United States
    Irmo, South Carolina
    I prefer a manual. My car (my first one, I might add) is a manual. I think it is fun as hell, and I will probably not own an automatic for the rest of my life.

2. PettingZoo

PettingZoo yesss

Oct 5, 2008
    in the trap
    I don't drive lol!

3. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    I prefer a nice hard stick shift. ;-)

4. [M]artin

[M]artin .

Nov 7, 2006
    United States
    The first car I learned to drive had Manual Transmission. After using Automatic Trans in numerous cars after my first, however, I can't go back to Manual.

Manual is just as fun to drive, don't get me wrong, but it does get very tedious when compared to Auto. This may just be because I live in a really busy city with high amounts of traffic (Chicago), however, and constantly shifting up and down during rush hour got annoying as hell.

5. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    Dual clutch automatic.

6. VVoltz

VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Nov 6, 2002
    USA
    Manumatic?, WTF?
    oh and automatic is even boring on videogames, standard all the way for me, inside or outside the matrix

7. blueskies

blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2003
    United States
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Manual. I get really bored driving my current car, which is automatic. Real men (and women) drive stick.

8. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    automatic: for pussies
    manumatic (paddle shift?): even worse than automatic
    manual: sexy, efficient, fun as hell

but alas, i suck at manual, so i mostly drive auto >.>

9. mthrnite

mthrnite So it goes.

Former Staff
    Jun 30, 2006
    United States
    th' south
    Sports car: stick, of course.
    Luxury/family sedan: automatic, of course.

I can't see driving an automatic Mazda Miata, or a manual Lincoln or Caddy. So, depends on the type of car.

10. Blood Fetish

Blood Fetish Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nov 3, 2002
    United States
    Dual clutch automatics offer comparable fuel efficiency to manual transmissions, the same control over driving and they switch gears in around 8 milliseconds.

11. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    this is also more of a region based thing

here, your lucky if you ever see a manual transmission based car

12. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

Former Staff
    Jan 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    For me, a car is simply transportation from point A to point B. I've grown out of the racing phase of my life nearly 20 years ago and have long since realized that beating on a car will only shorten its lifespan, unless I want to do constant maintenance on it. If I want to race, I'll do it in a video game. All I need is a small car with good gas mileage, not scads-and-wads of horsepower and racing bling.

The only real need I see for manual transmission is for racing and hauling heavy loads. Since I don't race around the city streets like a jackass with a death wish, and I have no truck to haul heavy loads with, coupled with the fact that I live in a busy city with lots of traffic, I don't need the extra annoyance of constant shifting with a manual transmission.

I drive a boring, dilapidated 1995 Saturn SL2 with an automatic transmission and nearly 200,000 miles on it and no bling (unless you count the GBAtemp bumper sticker on it as bling [​IMG] ). It gets me there and that's all I need. I don't pretend that a production model 4-cylinder P.O.S. is any kind of race car like all the idiot ricers I see racing around in their econobox's, with their coffee-can mufflers that make their car sound like a moped on steroids, useless overdone spoilers and ground effects, fancy rims, ridiculous lowered suspension and lousy paint jobs. I have no shortcomings I need to compensate for.

I've owned a manual transmission car before and I could drive it well enough, but it just seemed like too much of a pain in the ass to have to shift all the time when I could just have an automatic and not worry about it, so I sold it to some fool who was drooling all over it and he riced it out and crashed it. Oh! But not until he had it blowing smoke like a factory smokestack from beating on it too much....dumb ass. [​IMG]

I still fondly remember the day some butt-head pulled up next to me at a red light and revved his engine, wanting to race. I put put my car in neutral and revved along with the fool, but when the light turned green, I just casually put the car in drive and proceeded normally. He tore off the line like a bat out of hell, nearly hit some guy who blew the red light and then got busted by the cops. I tooted the horn at him as I drove by. I guess I won that race. [​IMG]

[/rant]

13. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    In arcades, manual.
    In real life, automatic.
    [​IMG]

14. Mei-o

Mei-o Generic Asian Kid™

Jun 22, 2008
    Somewherewherewhere
    Manual, due to the fact that I've never tried out auto.

15. Cermage

Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 2, 2007
    manual but i'm lazy most of the time so its auto for me.

16. Talaria

Talaria ...

Jan 31, 2007
    New Zealand
    I would like to drive manual, but i was brought up with only automatic cars so I was taught to drive in automatics and since I live in the city I've seen no real reason to buy and learn in a manual other than fuel economy. Perhaps someday in my dreams where I had a healthy income and could afford a sports car than yes I'd get manual. It'd feel wrong to have a automatic sports car but then again this is all to do with how the media and society portrays it and in 10 years we're gonna be under water so guess I should be worrying about Kayak/Canoe or Motorboat?

17. Orc

Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Feb 10, 2006
    Hong Kong
    This.
    I still drive a manual though but with shitloads of traffic, I wish I had an automatic.

18. Devante

Devante Crescent fresh at best.

Nov 29, 2002
    United States
    This answer is the most sensible one anyone could say.

And I concur!

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Personally I detest point and squirt as I like my engine braking too much.
    On the other hand it is probably where I learned to drive, hardly anyone uses automatic around here (at least not without going out of their way to find it).

20. Toni Plutonij

Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Former Staff
    Dec 22, 2007
    Croatia
    Depths of Nuclear powerplant
    Not so many automatics around here, and also, if you learn to drive properly manual, automatic isn't much of a problem, but if you learn to drive automatic, it could be pretty hard to drive manual after..

So I prefer manual overall..