Gaming Manhunt 2 Banned in UK

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah we don't have that, our government like us to be in check.

They love to tell us what we say and what we can't say and mollycoddle us to death. Its kinda good as we don't have KKK but its also very bad as we have a lack of freedom. Still we have more freedom than most European countries.

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
people will always blame computer/video games
i have a zx spectrum magazine from 1984 with a article from some really strange doctor stating that video game playing will send you crazy so all this is nothing new

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not good. Even if it goes too far, banning a game like this is wrong and pretty much viotates the human right of free speech. I'm not sure if the UK has thier own equivatent of America's 1st Amendment which basically prohibits the banning of any media. Banning a game goes against that.
Isn't free speech more linked to like having the right to express your opinion or something? Manhunt is not really about expressing an opinion is it? Also there's no way any kind of media is allowed just because of the first Amendment, what about a game in which you have to rape black children, I suppose that would be banned by some law...
unsure.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To repeat what legendofphil said (because very few places actually reported this) the first manhunt had nothing to do with the murder - it was the victim who had a copy of the game!

Like others have said I think it's crazy that other industries and other forms of entertainment seem to govern a completely different set of rules than videogames.

The average 18 rated horor/thriller movie is far more twisted and sadistic than the most violent of videogames. So why are people allowed to purchases these movies but not a videogame? The fact that a videogame is interactive does not really wash as an excuse and there is no conclusive evidence that videogames encourage violent behaviour.

It's made worse that far more dangerous activities such as smoking, which kill thousands of people each year are completely legal.

The world is so f'ed up, it really is.

frown.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why the world needs a game that lets you use the Wiimote and nunchuck as pliers and rip people's balls off with them. How can this be called a video game. It's sick unnecessary. Why do these elements need to be in a game?

And for those that complain of censorship...come on. How can you complain about something that is virtually non-existant? What if a company made a sex simulator starring 2 year old girls? Is that okay to put on store shelves? If the government says no, "ZOMG censorship!"

EDIT: And the reasoning of "it's in movies, why can't games have it?" Movies shouldn't have this kinda crap either. But since movies have it, all following forms of entertainment should too? That's like saying since I shot myself in the foot, all future people should do the same.

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The average 18 rated horor/thriller movie is far more twisted and sadistic than the most violent of videogames.

a great example would be saw or hostle the shit they do in them film is abnormal.

Worse thing is rockstar cant do much against law banning there game. I feel bad for them since they had to put so much developing time in to making the game yet the government wants to ban it.

yep the why the world work is quite unfair

woytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guys you really hurt me there....

All those comments hurt....

Everyone is scared about manhunt not coming to England and the rest of Europe. People from England wonder if the French and German versions have English language on them. You really hurt us, Dutchies.

The Dutchies, unless French and German, are clever and most speak fluent English (and often even a bit of German/French). Therefore all games in Holland are published with the 5 languages usually with standard language as English.

So don't fear, us Dutchies are here!

Wanque

Trophies
Website
www.worldofwows.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I don't understand why the world needs a game that lets you use the Wiimote and nunchuck as pliers and rip people's balls off with them. How can this be called a video game. It's sick unnecessary. Why do these elements need to be in a game?

Why not?

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
And the reasoning of "it's in movies, why can't games have it?" Movies shouldn't have this kinda crap either. But since movies have it, all following forms of entertainment should too? That's like saying since I shot myself in the foot, all future people should do the same.

No, if movies are allowed to have it, then other forms of media should be allowed to have it too. That's nothing like saying "since I shot myself in the foot, all future people should do the same". It would be more akin to: if you were allowed to shoot yourself in the foot, other people should be allowed to do the same to themselves.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the first one went pretty far, I played and beat it, so I can attest to that. The question here is not along those lines, the question is why they are banning it from sale. I don't agree by this whole "videogames made me do it"...

Let's take a close look at statistics. How many first person shooters have been sold (take just the major series like Doom, Half-Life, Quake, Unreal, and Halo)... millions upon millions worldwide. You'd think with some direct analogy that would mean there should be roughly that many psychopaths running around with machetes and uzis slicing, dicing, and shooting up anyone and everyone. But wait, there isn't. Certainly they are isolated incidents where people CLAIM that the videogames/devil/their priest made them due it, but when it all comes down to it, it's about personal fucking accountability.

Don't shoot people. Don't kill people. If people get OUT their aggressions, dark side thoughts or whatever through offing Nazis, prostitutes, aliens, whatever in a videogame, who cares? They aren't doing it in real life, if anything it's just an extension of suspended disbelief in reality like daydreaming. Why stop millions of people from enjoying their games because a small handful of people SAY that will turn them into godless killing machines?

I do agree with a rating system banning youngsters from getting super violent titles. People grow up too fast as it is. But the fact remains that banning or restricting items to a high degree is just making people want it more. Let's think of restrictions on alcohol and smoking. Yeah, people wait till they are 21 to try alcohol, and 18 to smoke (speaking of the US).

So yeah, grandma will buy Grand Theft Blow Babies Away Manhunt Gear Solid 20x6 for Timmy's sixth birthday because he wanted it, and Timmy's parents will be pissed, and Jack Thompson will be smiling in a corner somewhere. That's life. People need to wake up and smell the coffee.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
We actually live in a world (most countries anyway) with less censorship than ever before.

Its just that when something like this comes along it is such a big deal because it is so rare now.

But I agree with OrR, it is the small perecentage of the population that has these mental issues, seeing these things can push them over the edge.
Remember that kid who said he shot his parents because he thought they could dodge the bullets like in The Matrix.
The question is, what is the right way to deal with this problem? I don't think censorship does more good than harm so it's not the right way. Banning guns would be much more effective. Education always helps, too.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't believe in censorship either.
It is a very sensitive issue, alot of people still are embarrassed by anything psychological and the stigma attached to it. As such people and their family/friends don't seek help if signs of this behaviour surface. The signs are usually there before a major incident.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
manhunt 1 was shit! how the hell did it get a sequel? Honestly, the stealth sections in San Andreas are better than this drivel! (IMO)

(edit) BTW, the difference between violence in videogames and violence in movies is this: in movies you watch someone else while in games you act out the violence. That's why all the grey-haired citizens are against violent videogames for kids.
Be honest, you know that this game is destined to be played by little Bobby down the road. We all know that '18 certificate' means fuck all when it comes to games (the amount of 10 year-old British kids who own San Andreas is staggering)

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whatever you lot are rambling about I do not care.

My opinion is this I had fun playing the first game and I want to play the second, however many countries this gets banned in I will still play it somehow. Probably the PSP version.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guys you really hurt me there....

All those comments hurt....

Everyone is scared about manhunt not coming to England and the rest of Europe. People from England wonder if the French and German versions have English language on them. You really hurt us, Dutchies.

The Dutchies, unless French and German, are clever and most speak fluent English (and often even a bit of German/French). Therefore all games in Holland are published with the 5 languages usually with standard language as English.

So don't fear, us Dutchies are here!

That is so true! Thank us for playing all our games in english! So that there will be an englsih version released in Europe! We play the games original, English!

js0ul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
well i can see where there coming from since someone was killed apprentaly due to first 1 but i wanted play still i do have a ntsc wii so i can just order 1 from a us store.

Noone was killed "due to the first one". Some fuckhead murderer played a game, and becouse he already was a fuckhead he desided to murder someone.

Simple.

Games don't kill, fuckheads do.

I agree with you about the fact that if you are a normal person they will not go kill someone after playing a game like this but the reason there are fuckheads is because of the fact that young children (or just simply extermely easily influenced people) play these games and influences them and contributes to making them all disturbed and turn out as fuckheads.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: lol