manage a list of games you have vs the ones you dont have

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by 911pcdoc, Sep 29, 2010.

1. 911pcdoc
    OP

Newcomer 911pcdoc Newbie

United States
    forgive me if its been asked already but i am looking for something to manage all the games i have vs all the ones that have been released so when i get new games at the store i dont but what i already have as i have 300+ games now

Marc

2. UniqueGeek

Member UniqueGeek PMD Researcher

United States
    Simple solution: Don't pirate.

3. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    hi marc - what i believe you are describing is memory, and you should already be in possession of two types:
    • short term - this type of memory holds an easily accessible list of games you have purchased in the past few days.
    • long term - this type of memory contains all games that predate the ones found in your short term memory, though it may be harder to quickly access.
    hope this helps.

4. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    At least he says he wants to go to a store and buy a game. i personally just keep a list of what i have. personally i think that 300 games is a rather small collection. just type up what you have in word or notepad and bring the list to the store. worse case you buy a game you already have and return it.

5. 911pcdoc
    OP

Newcomer 911pcdoc Newbie

United States
    as i said its a matter of knowning what i have while i am "AT THE STORE" i user usb loader so my kids dont kill the cd's in 2 days i have already replace a buch of them due to a 4 and 5 year old playing with them
    NO I DONT PIRATE READ BEFORE YOU ACUSES SOMEONE

6. 911pcdoc
    OP

Newcomer 911pcdoc Newbie

United States
    this method worked well untill i got to say 150 or so but yea i agree it would be ideal but i am getting old LOL this was the bases o for the idea so i could make a quik list of 10 to so games i dont have and then while i am at the store pop it out and see what they have on my list any way was just an idea did not relize i would be accused or pirating games asking for a game manage of this type

7. OncleJulien

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    as you can imagine, few others here have invested as much as 9K in wii games, so their default state is skepticism.

theres a wii backup manager app, that runs on windows, which will allow you to export a gamelist as a text file - but as a disc user, i cant imagine that helps ya much.

bonne chance.

8. 911pcdoc
    OP

Newcomer 911pcdoc Newbie

United States
    yes i can undewrstand 300 games was not cheap!
    as is why i user the usb loader now so i buy games and load them to the hdd and kids cant hurt the orginal cd
    and i have used wii game manager and made a pdf of all my current games both for collectin purposes but also for the insurance company
    any way i will keep looking may i will invest some time in making an access database to do this seems kinda simple 1 table of what you have 1 table of all and 1 table of table 1 minus the other to give you all your missing any way thank for the input guys!

9. UniqueGeek

Member UniqueGeek PMD Researcher

United States
    I am sorry. I guess I misread your post. Are you just wanting a list of the games you have?

10. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    take the time and type it up. i did that as soon as i started with my wii. its necessary.

11. 911pcdoc
    OP

Newcomer 911pcdoc Newbie

United States
    no i can get a list of what i have from wii game manager i want a list of what i dont have so i can stop visting the return desk so often i have 200 or so games and theres like 1500 or more so i was lookin for something that would take list 1 all games and list b all games i already have and give me list c all games i dont have so then i can shop for all thoes i dont have

and i belive in support the artists and game makers with out our $$$ they can't devlope more games

hope this helps define what i a looking for

12. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As was mentioned above "Wii Backup Manager" is an app that lets you export lists of games on your HDD to a CSV file. You can then import that to Excel or another spreadsheet program. You can then import into a different column a list of full games and then use the spreadsheet program to list in a third column games that appear in the full games column, but not the HDD games column.

Several issues to consider here are the potential for spelling errors, capitalization differences and an incomplete full list. I'm not sure how you would get a full list of games available. You could use potentially a program to pull down the information from Nintendo's website, but you'd probably have to write some code/script to pull down only the info you want and put it in to a csv format.

You may want to do the search on the GameID field rather than the name, but then you'd have to get the full list of games with GameIDs and cross reference them back to the names. Also if you do own a pal version vs ntsc or other version, the gameid would be different by one character and not match.

It'd be easier in my opinion to just use the back up manager to export the HDD games to a spreadsheet app and print out the list in alphabetical order, or carry it around on your smart phone/laptop and cross reference it while you are at the store. The full list of games doesn't matter at the store, nor does the list of games you don't own if the store doesn't have it for sale anyway.

13. KiiNG

Member KiiNG GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There's no simple tool to do it. You can do a narrow search on<a href="http://wiitdb.com/Game/Search?action=search&q=group%3DGame&submit=Search&id=&region=NTSC-U&type=%3DWii〈_EN=1&title_EN=&title_JA=&title_FR=&title_DE=&title_ES=&title_IT=&title_NL=&title_PT=&title_RU=&title_ZHTW=&title_ZHCN=&title_KO=&developer=&publisher=&year=&month=&day=&genre=&rating=&descriptor=&players=&acc_wiimote=&acc_nunchuk=&acc_motionplus=&acc_classiccontroller=&acc_gamecube=&acc_nintendods=&acc_wheel=&acc_zapper=&acc_balanceboard=&acc_wiispeak=&acc_microphone=&acc_guitar=&acc_drums=&acc_dancepad=&acc_keyboard=&acc_vitalitysensor=&acc_other=&wifiplayers=&online_online=&online_download=&online_score=&online_nintendods=&size_1=&crc=&md5=&sha1=" target="_blank"> wiitdb like this</a> or parse places like gamefaqs.com or nintendo's game selection area.

Here's some results from parsing Nintendo's site. These are NTSC games.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    i would like that as well, like a list of NTSC-U, NTSC-J and PAL separated into lists. then a list of unique games for each region. i did it with ntsc-u and ntsc-j and man did it take a while, plus my eyes were spinning. there are like over 5000 releases. includes a lot of nukes and dlc as well, i don't know why abgx includes the guitar hero 5 dlc as wii releases.

from my calculations, there are ~1060 ntscu and ntscj unique releases. i haven't had the time nor energy to start with the pal unique releases.