Man arrested in Japan for selling hacked Shiny Pokemon

21BnyK6.png

While it's common to hear about the police or Nintendo itself going after hackers selling modified consoles, it's a bit more out of the ordinary for them to target someone hacking game files. In Japan, and as of a fairly recent law passing in 2019, editing video game save files is an illegal act, which is why a 23-year-old was arrested for doing so. The man had been "illegally" modifying his save data in order to obtain rare Shiny Pokemon, and then selling them. He managed to make over 1.15 million yen, or around $10,000 dollars by selling shinies to customers, being finally caught after he sold a Shiny Sobble to someone for $41 dollars. Arrested in Nagoya City, Japan, the suspect admitted his guilt, claiming he had been editing save files and profiting from it since November 2020.

:arrow: Source: Asahi News - Translation Courtesy of Serebii

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Japan has a lot of BS laws, but they're not alone. US has their fair share of them and so do a lot of other countries.

Yeah and they suck. Can't even mod a console in Japan without them being out of touch pantywaists.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wonder How he would not banned before he got arrested??
Maybe he was. You can still trade locally.
Yeah and they suck. Can't even mod a console in Japan without them being out of touch pantywaists.
With the way things are headed I wouldn't be surprised if the law ends up like this in US and Germany and other places as well.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

jajamundo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing legit is always better!! Is really hard to get shiny Pokemon and people take advantage of this. I know this is not going to stop the hack Pokemon, but is a start

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Like, imo, selling off shiny pokes is kind of a "Nah dude" in my eyes, like... Is stuff you can get on your on or for free in other ways, is more like a scam methinks... but going to jail for it? That's a bit exaggerated I'd say...

Also, there's a law that makes modifying saves illegal in japan?? Now that's complete bullshit, fuck off Jacrap.
Bet Shittendo had a hand in getting that law going, bah.
They tried to get stuff like Gamegenies off the market, wouldn't be surprised at all.

Reactions: CrossOut

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Maybe he was. You can still trade locally.
With the way things are headed I wouldn't be surprised if the law ends up like this in US and Germany and other places as well.
God I hope not.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I know everyone here is like, "Japan takes this seriously," but there's a reason why emulator software usually has a notice that if one was sold it, they've been cheated.

The moment money gets involved is when shtf in these cases.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I read a few articles about that law, it's not a law about modifying data per se, it's a modification of their law about unfair competition, because apparently before that it didn't include anything about data modifications. It looks like it's intent is to target device or software hack/cracking and the offering or distribution (I insist on that point because it means that the illegal part is not using or creating it, it's sharing it) of tools to modify data that could potentially be used to help hack/crack something. And like always they put everything in the same basket, but the problem here is not really the data modification, it's the offering part. But since it doesn't really have little to do with the base concept of unfair competition, I really wonder how and if he'll get punished.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM