Man arrested for taking pictures of Pokemon?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
500x_congrats.jpg

On September 1 at approximately 8:00pm, 27-year-old Makoto Sekiguchi from Yokohama uploaded images of unrevealed characters in the new Pokémon game Pocket Monsters: Black & White via his mobile phone. He is now in police custody.

According to 47 News (via ANN), Sekiguchi uploaded six images of unseen Pokémon, such as Chaoboo. The characters appear in Pokémon: Black & White, which was released in Japan on September 18. The characters did appear in the October issue of Japanese magazine CoroCoro Comic and were leaked before its September 15 ship date.

In a deposition, Sekiguchi stated, "Thought I would show everyone the characters that haven't been made public yet." Sekiguchi is charged with violating copyright infringement.

The Chikusei City police discovered the pictures while on "cyber patrol" (surfing the internet?) and are not attempting to pin down how Sekiguchi came in possession of them.

In Japan, it is incredibly common for magazine pages to leak online before they go on sale. Take, for example, game magazine Famitsu; it pops up online before it hits newsstands, and countless images are posted on the internet.

Here, one guy was arrested for it. Gotta catch 'em all.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

I'm too tired to think of a Pokemon pun.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kinda shitty, and I am pretty sick of seeing and hearing about Nintendo throwing their weight around, but I think I have to side with them on this one. At the heart of copyright law (at least as it pertains to American law) is protecting an individual's ability to profit from their creations. His activity definitely takes some wind out of their sales, not to mention simply ruining the experience for many young fans who look forward to that shit.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
GeekyGuy said:
Kinda shitty, and I am pretty sick of seeing and hearing about Nintendo throwing their weight around, but I think I have to side with them on this one. At the heart of copyright law (at least as it pertains to American law) is protecting an individual's ability to profit from their creations. His activity definitely takes some wind out of their sales, not to mention simply ruining the experience for many young fans who look forward to that shit.

Were we not discussing about the 'copyright-law' yesterday?
closedeyes.gif

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
lol, that sucks so much for him. Think about how his day went.

Finds unreleased images of Pokemon.
"I think I'll take a picture to show my friends"
Uploads to internet.
Cops bust into his house and through his computer screen "Cyber Patrol" and arrest him.

heavyknight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"and are not attempting to pin down how Sekiguchi came in possession of them."
Then...what's the point of arresting him instead of going for a source?

It was only 6 pictures...we had a full list around shortly after B/W started shipping...I'm pretty sure that is worse than one person and 6 Pokemon.

Also funny, with the copyright discussion just recently.

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Copyright Infringement sucks, seriously is it really THAT hard to let people see pokemons? Why not just show them as soon as their production status is complete, the entire pokedex why dont ya! The point is that the more and more copyright infringement gets involved the less were gonna be allowed to do. Sooner or later they wont let us eat materialized food, oh no its computer memory that were gonna need!
Goddam it now i went on with my rant...

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only one arrest? The cyberpolice is clearly not able to do enough.
What we really need is an international cyberSWAT team to kick down doors and shoot copyright offenders.
Only then can we stop these horrible terrorists miscreants from showing pictures of pokemon.

/hyperbole

What a bunch of bullshit.
p1ng.gif

My Pokemons; I can't show you them due to penalty of law.

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lol, when Black and White were first released in Japan, my friend was saying how there isn't a zebra Pokemon.

So I took a picture of on in Black and White when I came across it. I never got around to sending it to him, but it's still on my phone.

What are they going to do? Arrest me?

Edit: If I remember correctly, hasn't the PokeDex for the new region been online for months now?

MeritsAlone

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
It's all about martial law now soon you will be sent to jail for picking up a peice of trash, you can already go to court for cheating in games.

as i said before sooner or later were gonna be forbidden to even eat materialized food

craplame

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's pretty crazy. But, why does it matter if he just takes pictures of Pokemon. It's just an image, and they were going to show up anyways.

lenitao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i believe they should focus on releasing unhackable Ds and Wii, also banning PC emulators, instead of innocent people

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
GeekyGuy said:

Were we not discussing about the 'copyright-law' yesterday?
closedeyes.gif

My invite musta gotten lost in the mail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1