Homebrew Emulator MAME Wii 1.0 recompilation with newer Wiimote support + WiiFlow support via arguments for autolaunch games

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice job, it is especially useful to see that the emulator now supports an increased ROM limit number.

However, it keeps crashing and freezing all the time when changing roms and stuff just like the original version of this emulator. I am talking about this screen (see the image attached).

But some other emulators (like wiiflow), for example, have this feature (see the image attached) when they crash (same "exception DSI occured" screen) they automatically reload the wii (reloading in 10 seconds).

Is it possible to add this feature (reload in 10 seconds) to your mod so that you wouldn't have to get up every time to reset your wii manually when mame crashes (which happens a lot) it will make things a lot easier? Or it's not how it works and it can't be implemented?

Attachments

• 2014-07-15194056_zps6cea1c3a.jpg
    2014-07-15194056_zps6cea1c3a.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 29
  • azpf206f32c71.jpg
    azpf206f32c71.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Nice job, it is especially useful to see that the emulator now supports an increased ROM limit number.

However, it keeps crashing and freezing all the time when changing roms and stuff just like the original version of this emulator. I am talking about this screen (see the image attached).

But some other emulators (like wiiflow), for example, have this feature (see the image attached) when they crash (same "exception DSI occured" screen) they automatically reload the wii (reloading in 10 seconds).

Is it possible to add this feature (reload in 10 seconds) to your mod so that you wouldn't have to get up every time to reset your wii manually when mame crashes (which happens a lot) it will make things a lot easier? Or it's not how it works and it can't be implemented?
Sorry i dont know how to do/fix that.
Also, i suspect the cause of these issues is because this emulator (MAME Wii) doesn't clean up the memory on exit/before launching another game.

Reactions: cheloruiz79

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry i dont know how to do/fix that.
Also, i suspect the cause of these issues is because this emulator (MAME Wii) doesn't clean up the memory on exit/before launching another game.

Way back I spent a lot of time amassing all the games that Mame Wii runs that had sound and ran decently enough. So I spent a lot of time with it.

I noticed one thing that causes it to frequently crash. Yes, it doesn't clean up memory very well when exiting and launching another game, which gets worse if you choose BIG games to exit. But something that accelerates this problem greatly is simply jumping in and out of the options menu. Just loading the options menu makes the memory issues much worse, even if you really don't change anything.

If you're intending to play a bunch of games within Mame Wii, my advice is to set all your screen and joystick options in advance so you don't have to go back into the options menu, preferably ever again. It'll drastically decrease memory issues.

Another thing I noticed with this emulator is that some games go from unplayable to a playable frame rate just by changing the size of the screen so the game isn't running outside the visible viewing frame.
Post automatically merged:

With about 125 games left in my test folder, i have over 750 games working. There are about 1100 roms left in my untested obscure folder, i will not test many of these.

Later today i will up text lists for working, not working and untested roms. I have found some games like Wild West Cowboys Moo Mesa, Tron and others fully working that other emulators struggle with. Also changing "safearea" value to .94 has fixed display issues for me and recommended if using CRT.

What's the exact rom name for Moo Mesa? I don't remember being able to get that to work with original Mame Wii. Is that something that's only working for this update?

Last edited by Qaztab,

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're intending to play a bunch of games within Mame Wii, my advice is to set all your screen and joystick options in advance so you don't have to go back into the options menu, preferably ever again. It'll drastically decrease memory issues.
ok, fair enough, but how is it even possible to "play a bunch of games" without going back to the options menu. I don't go to the menu to mess around with options, I go back to the menu to choose a different game and that's when it crashes all the time.

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, fair enough, but how is it even possible to "play a bunch of games" without going back to the options menu. I don't go to the menu to mess around with options, I go back to the menu to choose a different game and that's when it crashes all the time.

Not the game list main menu. I'm talking about the options menu while you're actually running the game where in you set the screen size and inputs for that particular game. Going in and out of that will drastically increase memory issues, even while running the same game.

Also, use the + and - buttons at the same time to get back to the main menu. Don't load the main menu while you're running a game underneath because this also causes more crashes.

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I'm talking about the regular menu with the games list and all that (this is when it crashes the most often for me). I tried everything, quitting the game with the home button, quitting the game with the +/- combination, it still crashes all the time. This piece of shit app is hopeless.

What I don't understand is why no one added an automatic reload to the crash screen (it would make things a lot easier). Moreover, there's a mame deco 32 version for data east games. It is basically the same emulator but with a deco 32 driver and it has that reload option. So, I dont get it why is it so hard to implement that with the main version.

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I'm talking about the regular menu with the games list and all that (this is when it crashes the most often for me). I tried everything, quitting the game with the home button, quitting the game with the +/- combination, it still crashes all the time. This piece of shit app is hopeless.

What I don't understand is why no one added an automatic reload to the crash screen (it would make things a lot easier). Moreover, there's a mame deco 32 version for data east games. It is basically the same emulator but with a deco 32 driver and it has that reload option. So, I dont get it why is it so hard to implement that with the main version.

You're running into the big game memory issue there. Unfortunately there's no fixing that without rewriting the code so it frees up memory proper. The Deco32 roms are on the large end for this emulator unfortunately. Given my experience with SDL-Mame, it's not surprising it's crashing like this. Now if you're loading the smaller roms, it's a lot more stable jumping in and out, especially if you've already had your screen and menu options pre-configured from a prior run thereby avoiding the game options menu.

Just had the opportunity to test out the Deco32 and base Wii just can't handle most of these roms(Night Slashers(loads now) and Fighter's History). It runs, maybe slightly better than the core, but still too much performance issues for me to keep. I assume Wii U probably has the edge here. Btw, Captain America and the Avengers always worked on core, but with some slight performance issues, but definitely playable. Prior to this update I recall that game being the largest rom this emulator was able to handle.

Also, scrolling back through this thread I saw mention of Pole Position and Road Blasters. You can get the controls on these to work properly. I forget what I did exactly to get them to work because it was so long ago, but I do remember it took some experimenting to get them to feel like they had proper analog control inputs for Wii classic controller. Also, there's a graphical option for the driving games like these, which I believe is on by default, that shows "the shifter" on the screen and what position it is currently in. I always liked that about this emulator.

SaulFabre, being that you're tinkering with this and have seen under Wii SDL-Mame's hood, I gotta ask:

- Is there a reason some of the old pre-CPS1 Capcom games don't work? Most of them do, but in particular, Gun.Smoke doesn't. It seems to load, but then abruptly crashes. There's a few others, but that one comes immediately to mind. It always felt like there's a section of code missing from the emulator to actually run it that was probably excised for memory reasons.

- Is there a way to tinker with the graphical options for vector games like Asteroids and Tempest so you can see your weapon fire? The games run fine otherwise, but adjusting the vector flicker and/or beam width has no graphical effect on being able to see your shots.

Edit:
- The Universal games, notably the Mr. Do! games and games that use that chipset. There's a graphical glitch which causes a rectangular block in the center of the screen. Not sure if there's anything you see under the hood you can tweak there either.

Last edited by Qaztab,

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ok, so what would be the best (crashfree or at least with the least amount of crashes) way to use the mame emulator?

1 I launch it
2 I mess around with all the necessary settings before launching a game
3 I launch a game and play it and when I want to change it, I click +/- (while playing it) to exit to the menu and to load a new one

Right?

Also,

Don't load the main menu while you're running a game underneath because this also causes more crashes.

what does it even mean?

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, so what would be the best (crashfree or at least with the least amount of crashes) way to use the mame emulator?

1 I launch it
2 I mess around with all the necessary settings before launching a game
3 I launch a game and play it and when I want to change it, I click +/- (while playing it) to exit to the menu and to load a new one

Right?

Also,

what does it even mean?

When you hit home and bring up the options menu while in game, don't "Select New Game". It'll keep the current game running underneath while you select a new game and is prone to crashing. Use the + and - to fully exit before selecting a new game.

I'm not sure why you're crashing so much. Are you on Wii U?

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you hit home and bring up the options menu while in game, don't "Select New Game". It'll keep the current game running underneath while you select a new game and is prone to crashing. Use the + and - to fully exit before selecting a new game.

I'm not sure why you're crashing so much. Are you on Wii U?
no, I'm on a regular Wii. Sometimes, it crashes even when I use the + and - to fully exit before selecting a new game.

Reactions: cheloruiz79

josepijolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Friend Saulfabre, it is known that version 0.6 of MAMESDL wii does not have the common black screen error due to lack of ram memory, this version cannot be used with wiiflow because it does not load the game individually as it is not a version prepared for wiiflow. This version 0.6 will have its drawbacks as it is an earlier version than the one you have compiled, but many people like me prefer to forget about the error every time they change the game. This version also has support for lighgun/wiimote, you could configure this version to be able to run the games directly from wiiflow. greetings.

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friend Saulfabre, it is known that version 0.6 of MAMESDL wii does not have the common black screen error due to lack of ram memory, this version cannot be used with wiiflow because it does not load the game individually as it is not a version prepared for wiiflow. This version 0.6 will have its drawbacks as it is an earlier version than the one you have compiled, but many people like me prefer to forget about the error every time they change the game. This version also has support for lighgun/wiimote, you could configure this version to be able to run the games directly from wiiflow. greetings.
wait, are you saying that version 0.6 of MAMESDL doesn't crash and produce this screen?

download.jpg

cereal_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, according to my tests, this screen does not work, try it yourself and comment on the results.
Yeah, you're right, this version doesn't crash, nice observation, dude.

Now, if only someone could revamp this version by Increasing the ROM limit number, adding wiiflow plugins support, and compiling it with the SickSaxis library (https://github.com/xerpi/libsicksaxis) to enable DS3 controllers support, we would have an almost perfect Arcade emulator.

josepijolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This emulator deserves these improvements of course yes, it can run games that mame 2003 does not run and it can run games that do work on Fba but the possibility of accessing the Dip switches makes Mame Sdl a great emulator. Hopefully those who know can make these improvements. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks for your suggestion.

I have found the original SDL MAME Wii 0.6 code, modified some things for add WiiFlow compatibility, fixed some code for compile on devkitPPC r26 (where it allows newer Wiimotes), and increased the rom limit to 10000.

https://github.com/saulfabregwiivc/old-SDL-MAME-Wii-0.6

EDIT: New build of this version coming soon in another thread.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/unoffic...wiimote-wiiflow-10k-games-support-mod.637592/

New thread where i will post my mod of SDL MAME Wii 0.6.0.

Last edited by SaulFabre,

seam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
With about 125 games left in my test folder, i have over 750 games working. There are about 1100 roms left in my untested obscure folder, i will not test many of these.

Later today i will up text lists for working, not working and untested roms. I have found some games like Wild West Cowboys Moo Mesa, Tron and others fully working that other emulators struggle with. Also changing "safearea" value to .94 has fixed display issues for me and recommended if using CRT.
Can you tell me the exact rom you used for Cowboys of Moo Mesa? I cannot get it to work. thanks!

also Bucky o' hare just exits back to HBC if i try to run it

edit: lol @RunningSnakes I saw you like my post, but i was asking YOU a direct question. Im trying to get Moo Mesa working, can you help?

Last edited by seam1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on