OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
hi,
i got MAME32 emulator and metal slug 1 rom, but the file names contradict.
my Rom directory has files like 201-c1.bin but the emulator requires file names such as sfix.sfx and sp-s2.sp1.
this problem resides with two other games too.

any suggestions?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MAME has dependencies in other files such as CHD files and other ROMs to save space. Try getting a file ROM set or using CLRMAME to confirm you have the right files. Also all MAME ROMs are zips containing multiple files, make sure they are in that format.
For example, instead of having 20 ROMs of 50MB you have 1 of 50MB and 19 of 1MB.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i already have like 10 working games in MAME's folder and they are like directories, one game per directory and are working.

the problem is that files are not same, i got the ROM from MAME section of a site but files that emulator is after are different (filenames in first post)

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You just miss NEOGEO.ZIP (the BIOS)
tongue.gif
Search for it
wink.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try downloading the mslug.zip from a complete, up to date MAME set.
Or even a complete up to date MAME set, its only 78.9GB (16GB without the CHD files)
Or like I said before, check the file using CLRMAME.

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1-filenames are different
2-MAME is not a Neo Geo emulator
3-i tried with NeoGeo emulators that have BIOS, no luck.
4-damn.
WTF?
rofl2.gif

I've used MAME for 6 years. I know EXACTLY what I'm saying. You need NEOGEO.ZIP. These files are inside it.

And MAME _IS_ a Neo-Geo Emulator.

The romset is good, otherwise MAME would start complaining about some other missing rom. The only missing rom I see here are those from the NEOGEO bios.

EDIT: Hope you like it. I've just renamed my NEOGEO.ZIP and this is what MAME says. It looks I'm right
wink2.gif

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx! it worked!
its surprising that MAME didnt tell me that what was missing, so copied the file into rom folder and it got worked.

I've used MAME for 6 years. I know EXACTLY what I'm saying. You need NEOGEO.ZIP. These files are inside it.

And MAME _IS_ a Neo-Geo Emulator.

The romset is good, otherwise MAME would start complaining about some other missing rom. The only missing rom I see here are those from the NEOGEO bios.

EDIT: Hope you like it. I've just renamed my NEOGEO.ZIP and this is what MAME says. It looks I'm right
wink2.gif

thnx for uploading pix for me, i truly appreciate it.

would u tell me about MAME, Neo Geo and Arcade? (CPS-1 ,2 or something).
since i got confused about their difference.
my MAME emulator seems to run all Arcade and Neo Geo roms and there is difference between Arcade version and Neo Geo version of Metal Slug (according to Wikipedia) PLUS i got this metal slug rom from a MAME part of a site, not from their Neo Geo part BUT i put NeoGeo bios in my rom folder to run it!
unsure.gif
u with me?

p.s. even now my Metal Slug works, it doesnt show up in my "Available" section in MAME32, why is that?SOLVED.
missed an extra file.

thnx in advance.

EDiT:
another game "bbakradu" is strange, it has just two files and does work too. what about that?

TGBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
why dont you use Kawaks it emulated cps1 cps2 and neo geo

Winkawaks is really good. I second tat.
U unzipping the files of each game and keeping in directories?
You dont need to do tat ya know. It can read the files even if the files were zipped. Only the name of zip file has to be same as the rom name. eg. mslug.zip . Saves alot of space
wink.gif

TGBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
CPS 1/2 - Capcom arcade machines 123 games (CPS 1) / 201 games (CPS 2) including clones
eg. Street Fighter series, Mavel Vs Capcom, Xmen Vs Street fighter, Xmen, Marvel Super heroes, Gigawing, etc etc..

Neogeo - 263 Games including clones. KOF series,Metal slug series and many others

CPS 3 Also there - 16 games inclusive of clones. SF3 series,warzard, etc

Of course MAME supports many other arcade machines..

TGBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
NeoGeo owns Metal Slug series and developed it only for their arcade system, NeoGeo MVS.
CPS 1, CPS 2 arcade systems belongs to Capcom.

So the answer seems obvious.
smile.gif

raulpica

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thnx for ur answer.
So why wikipedia listed Metal Slug under Arcade AND Neo Geo but there are no CPS1, 2 Rom for it?

I will explain here for clarity:

There are a lot of different hardwares in the arcade industry. They're like Playstation or Xbox. Every hardware only plays the game created for it.

Neo-Geo was an Hardware created by SNK. Its most famous games are the Metal Slug series and Samurai Shodown series.
CPS1 was an Hardware created by Capcom, a lot of old classics are made for this system, like Cadillac and Dinosaurs and Strider.
CPS2 was the successor of the CPS1, and sported games like Street Fighter 2.
CPS3 was the un-successful successor of the CPS2, and the two Jojos Bizarre Adventure and the three Street Fighter 3 were made for it.

MAME supports them all.

So no Metal Slug for CPS1 and 2 because it was only made for Neo-Geo
smile.gif

oh, thnx.

is there difference between games that are both in CPS and NeoGeo? like 19xx?
Usually they're straight ports. In some rare cases NeoGeo ports have better graphics (I can't confirm this, but Neo-Geo was more powerful than CPS1)
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over