Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
How about a lock in making topics?

Only people with X posts or X status can make a topic?

this could unload some stress on the board either in latency and in peoples rage seeing the same question in 5 topics or so on the board while decent topics that need help just disappear unto other pages.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
sorry but there are topics about everything, not just here, but everywhere on the net.

Having at least 10 posts for creating a topic would help a lot.

Just look at the TOPICS about fricking sports resort "I CANT PLAY SPORTS RESORT, DO I NEED MOTION PLUS?"

people that just create an account and spam a topic, they dont even read the rules or use the search button, all your logic fails.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
So letting them spam their way into the required post before posting what they wanted to ask is the correct logic? They can spam, people spammed the shit out of the forum to enter the contest, I don't see why they won't do this. Imagine, 10 noobs a day, we will have 100 useless posts that day.

We had a thread kinda like this once.... had quite some posts, go search it and see everyone's logic.

emupaul

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the more open topics on a certain subject the more searchable material there is available for google to index. bad topics are for mods to remove and deal with, plus some users like to get angry and yell at the noobs and other people like to read the posts because its funny.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone should be allowed to create a topic. The site would start loosing new members if things like this was enforced, or as others have said, simply spam more.

I don't let some of the more silly topics get to me, sometimes I find them amusing. Also what would the mods do?
tongue.gif

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hero-Link said:
people that just create an account and spam a topic, they dont even read the rules or use the search button, all your logic fails.

^^ couldn't agree anymore...heck they don't even read the god damn stickies.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Domination said:
So letting them spam their way into the required post before posting what they wanted to ask is the correct logic? They can spam, people spammed the shit out of the forum to enter the contest, I don't see why they won't do this. Imagine, 10 noobs a day, we will have 100 useless posts that day.

We had a thread kinda like this once.... had quite some posts, go search it and see everyone's logic.

and with 10 noobs a day, each one posting a new topic (sometimes even posting several topics with the same issue) is helpful?

you have stickies for something that is meant to be read. THEY DONT READ, they preffer just spamming once more, because they want a topic JUST for their problem.

THE search function would still be working, they could STILL use the search function. Now people spam because they want to make accounts just to enter the "contests", guess what the admins though about not allowing "new members" to enter it (thats 100 posts mind you, and i said 10 posts for a topic just for the heck of it, it could even be 5, but you HAD to at least see the FAQ sticky or something like that AND have X amount of posts).

This method works perfectly on other forums, why wouldnt it work here?

Edhel said:
Anyone should be allowed to create a topic. The site would start loosing new members if things like this was enforced, or as others have said, simply spam more.

I don't let some of the more silly topics get to me, sometimes I find them amusing. Also what would the mods do?
tongue.gif

... losing members? what? you would be losing members that come here, make an account, put a topic with their problem and just fricking go away, never to return unless they fricking brick their Wii / NDS and want help again?

thats quite a comunity you would get there... if they would spam, then the mods would have something to do dont you think?

theres a warning bar for something... its against the rules just for ramdonly "spam" the forum.

emupaul said:
the more open topics on a certain subject the more searchable material there is available for google to index. bad topics are for mods to remove and deal with, plus some users like to get angry and yell at the noobs and other people like to read the posts because its funny.

what? more topics with 1 or 2 posts saying "USE SEARCH FUNCTION" are quite helpful!

QUOTE(Maz7006 @ Jul 26 2009, 02:53 PM) QUOTE(Hero-Link @ Jul 26 2009, 04:30 PM)

^^ couldn't agree anymore...heck they don't even read the god damn stickies.

finally someone that actually sees whats going on... STICKIES! USE THEM!

i remember seeing topics stickied with these "XXXXXXX GAME GOT RELEASED, GET IT HERE!" and GUESS WHAT it was RULES! noobs would actually OPEN the topic and read it!

oh boy, those where the times... i laughed a lot at those topics, with the "noobs" raging, and they wouldnt even spam anything else...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would you rather have:

This sceneario:
A newb finds GBAtemp

Newb: Oh this forum might solve my problem, I'll just sign up.

Newb signs up with some generic BummingPikachuPinata username.

Newb: Right I cant be arsed to search my problem or even look at the first ten topics in the section so I'll make my own topic about it.

Newb tries to post but is told they need a XX amount of posts.

Newb: Oh well I'll just increase my post count by posting in whatever topic I see first with just "I agree" and "yes".

Newb does this, we get a ton of crap, people make reports about this member because they're spamming. Newb gets enough posts within half an hour.

Newb: Right now I'll make my post.

Newb posts new topic, people flame them because they have forgotten that they were newbs once but one nice member gives them the solution. Newb pisses off after getting what they want never to come back again.

or this scenario:

A newb finds GBAtemp

Newb: Oh this forum might solve my problem, I'll just sign up.

Newb signs up with some generic LactatingMarioPinata username.

Newb: Right I cant be arsed to search my probrlem or even look at the first ten topics in the section so I'll make my own topic about it.

Newb posts new topic, people flame them because they have forgotten that they were newbs once but one nice member gives them the solution. Newb pisses off after getting what they want never to come back again.

As you can see its not a good idea unless we restrict how many posts new members make and even then we may get someone posting some sort of "hot tits" homebrew who are new and "oh no" they cant post it because they're new.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here