Making full use of Xbox Media Center

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by Link5084, Jun 13, 2009.

Jun 13, 2009
  1. Link5084

Member Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    How do you stream music, movies, MP3's, and all that jazz in XBMC?
  2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    XBMC has many network streaming methods, I like SMB myself (available as standard in windows and as SAMBA in linux/non windows operating systems).

In windows you simply right click on a folder (you can do drives as well but I do not suggest it if the drive houses your windows installation) and the click "sharing and security" and the rest should be self explanatory.

From here you browse to your computer name (you should be able to do a search in the relevant sections or in the main file browser/options menu of XMBC, I do not know what skin you are using or I would be more specific), while it should be automatic you can type the computer name in instead if not (right click my computer and then computer name tab): you would type "\\computernameofchoice" without quotes and it should then show a list of shared directories).
    Most linux distros have an editor but editing smb.conf is not that hard either.

Speeds: wireless b and 10mpbs wired can just about stream a standard XVID file although I do not like doing it (any lag or if it drops to half speed and you will see it), wireless g and wired 100mbps no problem.
    You can also copy files (including games) to the xbox drive via network if you are too lazy to do an FTP connection.