Hacking Making Clean Nand Backup after Restore Factory Settings

CHRoNiCWiLL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nand backup was not taken before hacking it.
If I restore Switch to Factory Settings and then take the Nand backup, will this be considered clean?

Hexalform

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Restore to factory won't delete system logs. So unfortunately no.

It was either something that you did before installing any unauthorized AKA unlicensed software, or you did not.

How about using the PRODINFO and "rebuilding" it to a "clean slate"? (I've only seen people do it in emergencies, but I wonder if it can be used in this way too?)

CHRoNiCWiLL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where are system logs actually stored?
If they are stored on the system internal storage, you would have to imagine that there would be a way to wipe them (or spam it to force deletion of older logs since there's only a finite amount of space)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are stored on the system internal storage, you would have to imagine that there would be a way to wipe them (or spam it to force deletion of older logs since there's only a finite amount of space)
Wiping error logs can flag you for a ban so the tool to remove these is no longer publicly available.

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States

I imagine that some day we will understand the setup well enough to wipe logs in a way that is not detectable. But that day is not today.

superdukester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wiping error logs can flag you for a ban so the tool to remove these is no longer publicly available.

What happens when you tell choidujour to wipe the system (killing all games, updates, and user profile)? Would a new user be able to use the Switch to play and I'm assuming the unit would still be banned?

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
What happens when you tell choidujour to wipe the system (killing all games, updates, and user profile)? Would a new user be able to use the Switch to play and I'm assuming the unit would still be banned?

Correct, you would have a clean new user profile but still system logs that will be reported upon your first connection, which will eventually result in a ban when the telemetry servers report the data to whatever process creates the ban.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How about using the PRODINFO and "rebuilding" it to a "clean slate"? (I've only seen people do it in emergencies, but I wonder if it can be used in this way too?)
Should be fine if you are prior 5x
After that they send the error log count IIRC. So a low/empty count might be suspicious.
(A factory reset and nxdreport should be sufficient tho, but rebuild is a option. I did that myself)

Last edited by m4xw,

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
Should be fine if you are prior 5x
After that they send the error log count IIRC. So a low/empty count might be suspicious.
(A factory reset and nxdreport should be sufficient tho, but rebuild is a option. I did that myself)

Considering most people are on 5.x and are stuck in this situation, can you think of any legitimate means to generate normal errors? Maybe factory reset + nxdreport + some specific actions to pad the error log? That would be an *incredibly* useful app.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Considering most people are on 5.x and are stuck in this situation, can you think of any legitimate means to generate normal errors? Maybe factory reset + nxdreport + some specific actions to pad the error log? That would be an *incredibly* useful app.
I doubt that would work, it would just report a bunch of new errors and backfire hard

Last edited by m4xw,

iriez

Trophies
Website
www.xbins.org
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that would work, it would just report a bunch of new errors and backfire hard

Sorry, I should have been more specific. For those who have never connected to the internet, but are on 5.x and have installed unofficial software, is there a way to blank the system, and then pad it with a few errors? Or do you think a 5.x that has never gone online can be factory reset + nxdreport and the no-errors-log won't be suspicious since its never reported for?

superdukester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Correct, you would have a clean new user profile but still system logs that will be reported upon your first connection, which will eventually result in a ban when the telemetry servers report the data to whatever process creates the ban.

With the full nand being dumpable, could one not just clone a clean Switch and theoretically have 2 identical Switches like back in the day when people where cloning satellite cards? Obviously if both Switches show up online, that would be another ban.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn