Making a Soft AP for DS/PSP

My DS can't find the signal from my Router but my computer can. So recently I brought a TP-Link TL-WN321G, so I can create a Soft AP with my computer.

This Tutorial show you how to Make Your Own AP (Acess Point) with your Computer Wirless or Ethernet Connection.

The AP your making works for DS, PSP, and Mostly all Wifi Supported Electronics.
This Method doesnt just work on WN321G but mostly all other dongle.
So if you have a different dongle, the software and the adapter is the only thing that changes from this method below.

Tools:
-Computer/Laptop
-Wireless Connection ( I have a Atheros Adapter)
-Wireless Dongle Driver (Download Online)
-Wireless Dongle (TP-Link, TL-WN321G)
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-WN321G-Wirel...G/dp/B000FO6QYU
http://www.buy.com/prod/tp-link-usb-wirele.../213742335.html

1. Download the lastest driver here: http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.as...amp;m=TL-WN321G and install it.
6xvrpg.jpg

2. Make sure the dongle in and click on the TL-Wn321G Shortcut (Dongle Software).
65qyvn.jpg

3. Right-click on the Dongle software icon in the System Tray (bottom-right corner of screen) and click "Switch to Soft AP"
21eawqr.jpg

4. Something will pop up, for the WAN pick your Computer/Laptop Adapter or Wirless Card/Chip/Ethernet. The Lan is the WN-321G Adapter
2dji0y.jpg

WAN (Network Connection 1) My adapter conneced to the router. It can be a ethernet wire or a wireless card.
j0z5p0.jpg

Lan (Network Connection 2) The Dongle. doesnt need to be the WN321G. Most dongle are similar.
ir3oup.jpg

5. Go to Network & Sharing Center and click "Manage Network Connection"!
10fqdlf.jpg

vigp01.jpg

6. Right-Click on Network Connection 1 than click property. Open "Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)" and change the setting to the second picture below.
idy53c.jpg

bhn1hf.jpg

7. Go Back to "Manage Network Connection" from step 5. Right-Click on the second Network Connection (WN-321G) than click property. Open "Internet Protocol (TCP/IPv4)" and change the setting to the picture below.
15gtesi.jpg

8. Double Click AP Icon in the system tray so the AP Software opens.
ipse2q.jpg

9. For SSID create a name (my is "Wifi") and change the setting to the picture below. Click "Apply".
5fp3m0.jpg

10. Click on "Security Setting" and change the Authentication Type to "Shared" and Encryption Type to "WEP". Make up a WEP KEY (SSID PASSWORD)
1zlrwww.jpg

11. Go to your firewall setting and add all these TCP Port in the exception tab (28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, and 443) Go here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/firewall.jsp to read more about the firewall ports. This is needed so you can play with other, just like in Call of Duty for DS.
apd6k3.jpg

12. Get your DS or PSP and add the wifi setting manually.

Settings

SSID: Your SSID from Step 9!
WEP: Your WEP KEY from step 10!
IP Address: 192.168.0.22
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.12
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.12
Secondary DNS: Blank

If you have another DS/PSP, all the setting are the same but the IP Address, for the
Second (2nd) DS/PSP, Change the IP to 192.168.0.32
Third (3rd) DS/PSP, Change the IP to 192.168.0.42
Fourth (4th) DS/PSP, Change the IP to 192.168.0.52
and so on...

I havent read over the tutorial so I may have some grammar mistake and I made the tutorial base on my
memory of how I did it 1 years ago, so I might be missing something. If you have any Question, Just Ask!

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks a bunch...I had this problem before and I went over the tutorial quickly and found what I was missing. Thanks again, you're a life saver.

waffle1995

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overman1977 said:
Thanks a bunch...I had this problem before and I went over the tutorial quickly and found what I was missing. Thanks again, you're a life saver.

np I made it base on my memory.
If you have any more problem just ask~

vlakas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My setup is a little different as i am only using a wired modem. But i was able to get the dongle working after reading your guide. I just had ti tinker with the IPs

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I see the config panel is the same as Gigabyte's Soft AP, but mine has a WDM tab.
your config tab is different too, you have less options, but I don't have the time out delay.

Which version of the driver is it ?
mine :
Utility version : 1.2.3.0.02 Date: 05-04-2005
Driver version : 1.4.6.0 Date: 10-06-2004

Gigabyte soft AP is working with (almost all) Ralink RT25x0 based chipset Card
If yours is newer, I would like to test it. I have a card not compatible with the version I use.

PS : I made a tutorial to convert non Gigabyte card to works with Gigabyte utility, long time ago.

waffle1995

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think mine adapter is RT2700! My setup is kind of different it making a Access Point with your computer wireless connection.
So I have 2 adapter, 1 connected to my computer hook up to the internet and 1 to make the soft ap for DS/PSP using my first adapter internet connection.
11m4a6u.jpg

My latest driver are here:
http://www.tp-link.com/support/download.as...amp;m=TL-WN321G

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ehm,sorry for double posting,I found this 321G finally,i went home,and the problem is i have a dial-up wired internet,so i have no idea what to do with it,since your explanation applies to wireless connection.

It creates an access point but i can't connect to it :/

Been searching for a few hours on google,nothing usefull :/

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Does this work only with a wireless connection ?Because i don't really see the point of having a soft ap if you can just directly use your wireless connection ?:wtf:

I have a router,and whenever i need to have wi-fi for my ds/psp i have to turn it on,and can't take it with me if i'm going somewhere,which is why i bought this dongle,because i thought i could simply insert it in and use my current internet connection(which includes all connections from wired to wireless) and turn it into access point,but so far nothing worked.

waffle1995

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bently said:
Hmm, is it okay if i used my TL-WN821N adapter (300Mbps and wireless N)? Would it still work?
any wireless adapter that can make a acess point will work.
just the software might be different,
This tutorial basically show how to configure it with Windows.

Ra1d said:
Ehm,sorry for double posting,I found this 321G finally,i went home,and the problem is i have a dial-up wired internet,so i have no idea what to do with it,since your explanation applies to wireless connection.

It creates an access point but i can't connect to it :/

Been searching for a few hours on google,nothing usefull :/
It should work, as long as a computer is getting internet connection, u can make a acess point with the adapter by connecting it to your computer and changing some setting. (your just branching your wire signal off the adapter as a wireless signal.)

Ra1d said:
Does this work only with a wireless connection ?Because i don't really see the point of having a soft ap if you can just directly use your wireless connection ?:wtf:

I have a router,and whenever i need to have wi-fi for my ds/psp i have to turn it on,and can't take it with me if i'm going somewhere,which is why i bought this dongle,because i thought i could simply insert it in and use my current internet connection(which includes all connections from wired to wireless) and turn it into access point,but so far nothing worked.
my wireless signal doesnt go far so im basically repeating it in another location.
this can work with wire (ethernet) or wireless.

the guide goes over the basic and some setting may need to be change to make it work.
QUOTE(metalmouth647 @ Oct 19 2010, 03:35 PM)
sticky this...
nice guide
i like that.
yaywii.gif

sorry to all the people who needed help, i forgot about this and havent check it for a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay