Gaming Making a New PC budget $600

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm going to go eat so I won't post as fast as I did and I've decided to change my memory and motherboard to dd2 to cheapen it since for what I want I don't need a whole lot of power.

D

Deleted_171835

IchigoSJ said:
Well I'm going to go eat so I won't post as fast as I did and I've decided to change my memory and motherboard to dd2 to cheapen it since for what I want I don't need a whole lot of power.

M'kay. DDR2 isn't that bad. It's still good. So I see you want your components to use a low amount of power. Just be careful when you build the computer. It's not as easy as it might seem. Problems that occur after setup = Anger.

Posts merged

QUOTE(IBNobody @ Sep 19 2009, 06:17 PM) I've been building PCs since I was 14. I'm 32 now. Here are some lessons I've learned.

1. If you're not gaming, don't worry about a graphics card. Integrated video works fine. Integrated video + DVI out is even better.

2. You might want to consider getting an Antec case. They come with Earthwatts 380 PSUs, which are fine for general computing needs.

3. Do you live by a Frys? If so, buy your motherboard there. In general, the mobo will be your #1 source of hardware problems. Frys has a great mobo warranty.

4. Some computer stores or online stores offer CPU-Motherboard combos. I was able to get my current processor (Intel Core 2 Duo, E8400) and motherboard as a combo for less than what the CPU normally cost. (FYI: I bought it at Frys.)

5. Use Slickdeals.com or Fatwallet.com to find deals on the most expensive items, if possible.

6. Don't buy from Newegg if you can get away with it. They are good, but they are restrictive in their return policy. Instead, look on Amazon.com. You'll get free shipping, no sales tax, and a forgiving 30 day return policy. They pay for return shipping, and unlike Newegg, they don't charge 15% restocking fees for computer parts. I only use Newegg when I have to.

7. Avoid piecemealing your PC together. Try and get all the parts at once. Otherwise, you could end up with stuff that isn't compatible, you won't know about it until after your return policy expired, and you won't be able to return it.

8. Don't build your own PC. Buy something pre-built. PC building is fun up to a point, but hardware problems are a pain in the ass to diagnose. Home repairs also get expensive, fast.

Let's say 2 years later, your mobo dies. You have to go out and buy another mobo. Then you find out your current CPU and RAM aren't compatible, so you have to buy all new components. Then you realize that they phased out your graphics card bus, and you need a whole new graphics card. Oh no! You just realized that your PSU can't supply enough juice to that new graphics card. Better upgrade that too! Shit! That new mobo has a problem with its SATA controller, and now every ISO image you copy around on the HDD gets corrupted! You better stat all over and get a new mobo! All the while, you have your girlfriend/wife/kids/dog yelling at you, asking you why your computer broke down AGAIN.

The next PC I buy will be from a store where I can just take it in and tell them to fix it. LOL

Most computers from the store are SHIT. They come with all this crapware and are severely overpriced. lol at your troubleshooting story.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
IBNobody said:
Then you find out your current CPU and RAM aren't compatible.

It's pretty easy to find a compatible mobo for RAM and CPU if they're older, though we're in a process of changing to a new socket and type of RAM, so just buy an older mobo chipset and socket. Just make sure the bus speeds are the same. They should also probably start with a fresh install when they upgrade the motherboard so there aren't any HDD problems either. Back up anything that they have.

Then you realize that they phased out your graphics card bus, and you need a whole new graphics card.

They haven't done that in a while(not putting AGP into consideration). In fact, PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible, so I don't see a problem there. Even the next version of PCI-E 2.0 is gonna be backwards compatible and they even delayed it to make sure it is. You definitely don't need a whole new graphics card though.

Oh no! You just realized that your PSU can't supply enough juice to that new graphics card.

Then they probably should have bought a lower end card. Graphics cards always have a low end series which are usually power friendly. IN FACT, ATI has been recycling their 2400 HD GPUS for the 3XXX series and 4XXX series now. AMD even includes it in their integrated chipsets for mobos. These cards DO NOT NEED a 6 pin power connector at all. GPU manufacturers are always trying to improve on wattage consumption it seems so it's always best if you pick the correct range for Graphics cards. It seems to be the high end cards that have the changing power requirements, but with the middle and low end, they seem to improve the power consumption from the last generation.
Maybe my arguments are a bit weak, but I haven't had a problem with buying new parts so far. Building a computer is not something that should be ruled out at least. You just have to do quite a bit of research because there will usually be someone with the same CPU+Mobo or RAM pairing. Researching is pretty important if I must say.

QUOTE(IchigoSJ @ Sep 19 2009, 11:53 AM) Well I'm going to go eat so I won't post as fast as I did and I've decided to change my memory and motherboard to dd2 to cheapen it since for what I want I don't need a whole lot of power.
Make sure that mobo has compatibility with AM3 then. Make sure it has at least a bios update if it's an AM2+ mobo or something of the sort, unless you decide to get an AM2+ CPU too. Try getting a 780g or newer chipset(790?) for a decent integrated graphics chipset. They usually come with 3XXX HD series Graphics, which is a generation behind from the mobo (with 4200 HD) you previously picked. You might want to try an Nvidea chipset but I wouldn't know too much about their mobo chipsets.

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I can't find any motherboards with AM3 slots that don't use DDR3 as a memory standard so there's no way DRR2 could work on those.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Revolutionize said:
You're statisfied with a 16'' inch monitor. Wow. Get at 19'' or 20'' monitor. It doesn't cost that much and the difference is amazing.

I'm working on a 1280*1024 17" monitor or if not on external 1280*800 15" monitor and you can get along if you doesn't do photoshop/HD video stuff

Sephi

fool
Trophies
Website
nov.us.to
XP
Country
United States
IchigoSJ said:
Well considering that my current laptop is crap and is shared by my whole family I've decided to buy myself a new PC and my parents told me that they would pay for half but I'm what you consider a noob when it comes to building computers so I used this guide to pick out part http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemb...ccess_memory.29 But the I only want a normal pc not a gaming one so it shouldn't be that pricey anyway this is what I found.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128397
Computer Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811156063
Cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103704
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136319
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148262

I already have a keyboard, mouse speakers, and Moniter so I don't need those and I didn't pick any ram becuase I wasn't sure I was buying these parts same thing with cd/dvd drives and the video card is probably crap yes I know I don't know which one to pick.

as for a psu, this should be fine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139008

D

Deleted_171835

IchigoSJ said:
I updated the first post with the hardware I finally chose tell me what you think.

That wouldn't work as you don't have an optical drive. Ethernet card if not with motherboard. A modem if you use dialup!
tongue.gif
And...... you need an operating system. Preorder Windows 7 Home Premuim

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lulz. PSU is so cheap. xDD. I am gonna pick a better one... So at least you know, it won't break on you. You can risk getting your PC to have parts that will break because of the PSU.

Consider this combo for a CPU + Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.254108. It's an AMD Phenom II X3 750e + The motherboard you chose... So would rather go with that...

HDD, good to go. RAM, good to go. Your PSU... Hmm... You could try...

- Rosewill RP500 (500W) $60 (but $45 after rebate)
- Thermaltake TR2 (430W) $42

Either of those would probably work better. Rosewill lights up, so it looks pretty awesome. The Thermaltake one, I've used it before. Hasn't failed for me... It even has the cables all neat in these coil thingys... (iunno what they are called, but are used in the more expensive PSUs)

So yea. I am pretty sure, so far, everything is under $600... Since the stuff aren't that pricey. Onboard graphics should be good enough for you. Nothing to worry about there.

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Splych It changed to the CPU and Motherboard you found looked and the blue PSU that you put to, going to go update first post. Oh and one last question will this computer be able to run Team Fortress 2 with it's intergrated graphics card since that's the only game I really want to play on PC.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dont buy rosewill PSU's
they are known for their high failure rates and destroying other components that are attached to it when it blows

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IchigoSJ said:
Well since alot of people are telling me different things I have one question what's better AMD or Intel and is Newegg as bad as IBNobody makes it seem.

I prefer Intel this generation (Core 2 Duo/Quad, Core I5/I7). In all honesty, it doesn't matter. The one thing I don't like about AMD is ATI. I hate ATI graphics card drivers.

Newegg isn't bad. It's just that they have a more strict return policy than Amazon does.

With PC building, you never know when you'll run into a part you didn't like. You can research things for weeks, but you'll still end up returning something. What if you buy a case, and you find that you can't fit your DVD drive in it because your drive is too long? (Happened to me.) What if you buy a CPU cooler only to find that the mobo you bought has its RAM slots too close to the CPU slot, thus blocking the cooler installation. (Happened to me.) What if you accidentally leave the CMOS clear pin in its "CLEAR" state on an MSI mobo and you end up frying the bios? (Happened to me, though I'm ashamed to admit that.)

Buying from a place that has an awesome return policy is critical. That's why I say be careful about Newegg. Only buy stuff from them if you are absolutely sure you won't return it.

Also, buying items that have 3+ year manufacturer warranties is critical as well.

EDIT:

Here's the same HDD on Amazon for $75:

Here's a 750GB on Amazon for $75

They aren't far from Newegg's price at all.

Also, you might want to look up that Caviar Black. I use the Caviar Black (WD6401AALS) for my Wii USB solution. When I was troubleshooting the SATA write failures, I ran across an article talking about the Black vs the Blue. Even though it has 32MB cache, I remember reading that the Caviar Black underperformed the 16MB cache Caviar Blue.

QUOTE(Revolutionize @ Sep 19 2009, 11:59 AM) Most computers from the store are SHIT. They come with all this crapware and are severely overpriced. lol at your troubleshooting story.

I honestly think you're giving a raw deal to the namebrand PC makers. I only have experience with Dells and Compaqs that I've used for work, and honestly, I can tell you that I've had less problems with them than I have had with the systems I've built at home. Everything in a namebrand PC has been tested to be compatible with the system as a whole. Plus, one of the goals of namebrand companies is to minimize the number of quality defects that occur in the 3-year span that their extended warranties cover. You end up buying a better product.

I'd be willing to pay extra just to not have to deal with any hardware faults.

As far as crapware goes... Who said anything about me leaving Vista on the PC and not formatting it over with XP, Ubuntu Linux, and OS X?

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
dont buy rosewill PSU's
they are known for their high failure rates and destroying other components that are attached to it when it blows
Oh shi thanks I'll get the Thermaltake hope that one is good.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well... After around 3 days of time, I am back. Fixing up this current computer was hard... Bleh.

So yesh. Anyway, iunno if the integrated graphics will work with Team Fortress 2. Maybe get a decent graphics card, even though it'll be pricey... Recommend the ATI Radeon HD 4670 ;P

Aiight. No Rosewill. Thermaltake is good. I am using one that uses less watts (430W) and it is working well. The cables are well organized since they come in like... Things that cover the cables to make em' neater. Iunno how to describe it, but Modular Gaming CPUs have em'.

EDIT: WTF. I checked out the CPU, it is deactivated!? You can still bundle it with...
- AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz (with mobo, $192)
- AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz (with mobo, $172)

Wont recommend you an Athlon... Phenom II FTW!

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea found out about that the CPU combo too, but my parents told me that they couldn't pay for half of it right now so they told me to wait a while which I don't know how long that but I don't mind to much anyway I updated the first post almost changes half of it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh... Well, if you can get a job, aim for one. Since this computer is going to be used for anything I feel like, I got it. But I had to get a decent one at least to be able to help my dad with his work when necessary (does stuff similar to what you can do in AutoCAD). Uses a program called Tekla Structures. So if you have the time, go do a little research on it.

Gonna learn how to use the program, then I can help my dad in my free time. But right now, I am just doing a little research on stuff I need to upgrade in this computer.

I am planning on getting a 500GB WD Caviar Black. One first, then will get a second later...
Then a 2x2GB RAM Set... This 512MBx4 isn't that good... Needs to be upgraded!
And last of all, Graphics card. Using a Radeon X600 256MB... Can run CoD4 Online, and will get a new one so that I can run CoD WaW and then MW2 when it comes out ^^

Santee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I would get I job I would actually spend my 16th birthday apply for jobs since I don't like depending on my parents for money but I'm not old enough to get a job and would my comp be able to run games If I bought a good Graphics Card since I would probably buy one for Christmas or earlier if it could.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depending on your motherboard... Yea, it is possible to run games with just a motherboard... But it is recommended to get a graphics card to run any kind of game... Such as CoD4 or Team Fortress 2.

Just do a little researching for graphics cards... But I really, recommend getting a 4670 as it is relatively cheaper than most and performs well in games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended