Making a Game

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by .::5pYd3r::., Jul 14, 2007.

Jul 14, 2007

Making a Game by .::5pYd3r::. at 6:03 AM (1,152 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Member .::5pYd3r::. Viva La Pizza

Australia
    Hi I'm looking for some help to try creating a game for DS and i'm wondering where to start like what tools you need and how to do it and stuff so all help is appreciated (sorry if i didnt word it properly i'm not good at writing my thoughts down)

2. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    devkitarm (part of devkitpro) Go download it! (libnds should come along, you need it bad!)
    some program to write c code in... (if you plan on doing it in c, like me) You can use notepad, or whatever flum...
    and the command window... (cmd).

Not much more is needed actually!

Much info and help and tutorials at drunkencoders.com and gbadev.org [​IMG] (the gbadev forum that is)

best of luck, and any more questions, go ahead [​IMG]

EDIT:

Okay, some basic info.. do you know c ? it helps quite a lot, but isn't that necessary if you know any other programming language since if you write your code in pseudo code, you can easily translate it all into which ever language you want, by looking it up in a c book for example. (you don't even have to know ANY language, but it will make it a bit harder.. not impossible though! But if you know some language, you will have some structure help probably..)
    CODE... and then it should loop eight times, calculating 4 + x where x increases from 1 to 8...
    TRANSLATE!
    for(x=0; x

3. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Australia
    Thanx alot Issac [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    updated it once again [​IMG] now with a bit better info [​IMG]

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Issac, this board needs more awesome posters like yourself.

OP - I recommend PAlib in addition to ndslib/devkitpro. It really simplifies things if you're starting. There are even wonderful tutorials an samples.
    www.palib.info

6. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Aww thanks, and still barely anyone know who I am [​IMG] .

PAlib, I havn't used that one, so I can't comment on it, though I'm sure it's great [​IMG]
    many libraries are great, but it's good to watch out so it wont get double declarations... (I remember when I played around with GBA in the beginning, writing the library myself... then using a premade one too.. and all sorts of errors since I had like: btnA and the library had button_a and linking to the same bit... aww it was not fun!

I have to check up on PAlib [​IMG]

7. Flozem

Member Flozem GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Though when that happens it's solved by merely placing the function "btnA = button_a" after loading the libraries. But yes, it can get confusing - had that happen to me making scripts for Neverwinter Nights PW's. It was always hell if you wanted to incorporate other people's code into your own core scripts.

8. .::5pYd3r::.
    OP

Australia
    thanx everyone just made one n0ob happy! [​IMG] [​IMG]