making a bootable gba emulator dvd

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by alphatrap, May 30, 2010.

May 30, 2010
  1. alphatrap
    OP

Newcomer alphatrap Advanced Member

Philippines
    is it possible and if so how do i do this? are there already existing torrents and i just burn it?

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    its doable. there are several requirements for it to actually play

bootable in gamecube-mode-
    patched mios to play burned GC games or a mod chip
    patched system menu IOS (if youre using the system menu) or cIOS that reads DVD-r if youre using a loader to read DVD-r or a mod chip
    you can only use a GC-compatible controller

bootable in wii-mode
    trucha bug in every IOS involved in playing the game. if you are using the disc channel, this means the system menu's IOS.
    patched DI module in every IOS that will read the game or a mod chip
    you must find a mod of the emulator or code one yourself. but default, all wii programs load IOS 36. this means that 1 it will not load from a USB loader, and 2, you need to have a mod-chip or hacked-up IOS36 to play a burned game with it. this is needed to actually boot the ISO and get the emulator running.
    once you get the emulator running, by default, these emulators can read DVD's using the DVDX stub, but it is the wrong format. they can read ISO9600 or whatever DVD-r ( data cd ) not the wii-disc-image that games, IOS, the system menu, etc expect. so the emulator may be running, and it can read games from all the normal places ( sd/usb/smb...) but unless you have edited the source code, it will not be able to read roms from the "wii-disc" filesystem.

so, unless you are willing to patch the necessary IOSes and you or somebody else has modified the source code for the emulator, it wont work.

3. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Properly pissed on his parade Pune.

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    it wasnt my intention to piss out his party candles. but if he was just planning on downloading one and running it, i dont think that will happen. ive made one that works but its only a snes9x. i dont think there is a gba one around anywhere.