Making 2TB - 3TB NTFS or Fat32 Drives working with Wii Homebrew? :(

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by crwys, Aug 18, 2011.

1. crwys
    OP

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So I have been studying this problem for a while now nonstop ever since i got my new 2TB usb drive. It uses a 4b allocation unit size. Which is already known to not support the Wii since the libs are hard codes to only support 512b.
    I tried formatting the drive to 512b using Fat32 and NTFS in multiple sizes below 1TB or above 1TB all resulted in:
    "The selected allocation unit size is too small for the selected file system"
    I did notice however applying 512b to exFAT (Fat64) will work but the Wii doesn't support exFat.

So as of now there is no solution, but is it possible that there will be one?
    Either making Wii libs support 4kb clusters
    or making support for a new file system eXFAT.

Devs please help out here. Also to note I bought this drive for media (Movies, music, pictures, tv shows) Not for a shitload of pointless games. So please help.

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

You're talking about the drive's sector size, not allocation size. You can't change it no matter how you format it since it's a physical characteristic.
    Most of the filesystem libraries used for wii development have already been fixed to support large sectors, you'll just have to wait for apps to be recompiled with them.

3. crwys
    OP

United States
    Yea I had to figure that out the hard and long way lol.
    Yea I noticed ciosxdx2 supports large sectors such as 4kb. So CFG and Usbloader GX can now support 2tb+ drives. But does WiiMC, MplayerCE, ect. support ciosxdx2 yet?
    I would test to see but I am currently putting all the files back on my drive.

4. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

i'm use 2 Tb hitachi 32kb cluster and no problem (fat32)

5. crwys
    OP

United States
    Just to confirm it is working no problem with WiiMC?
    And what ciosxd2x base are you using?

6. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I could have sworn I just said the cluster/"allocation unit" size is irrelevant. The issue is the sector size which can't be changed.

7. crwys
    OP

United States
    To ask again, is this supported in any media player for the Wii yet?
    I don't think WiiMC is because it uses IOS58 and doesn't even need a Cios to run.

And sorry tueidj but I don't know a lot about sector sizes and clusters/allociation units but I am learning now.

8. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

- A cios isn't required for large sector size support.
    - Making an app run on top of a cios is not magically going to make it work with large sector sizes.
    - To support large sector sizes, the app has to be compiled with a recent build of libfat or libntfs or whatever filesystem you're using.

9. crwys
    OP

United States
    Ok so simply following the instructions http://www.wiimc.org/compiling-instructions/ and I can get my 2.5tb hard drive working with WiiMC?

10. crwys
    OP

United States
    Well I am compiling it, assuming I followed the instructions right, which I am pretty sure I did. I guess we will see if it works or not. Thanks tueidj. Its taking a while for my little netbook to compile though. XD

11. tstwitter

Newcomer tstwitter Advanced Member

Canada
    Hum, was anyone successful in getting there 2TB fat32 drive working with WiiMC ? I would love to get my hands on a recompiled version of WiiMC if it fixes this problem.

12. crwys
    OP

United States