Homebrew Make "StreetPass2: Rise from the Ashes" concept into a Homebrew/sysmodule

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The main purpose of this post is to share my thoughts and present a cool concept that could benefit many 3DS users

As many of you know, the StreetPass feature is dying gradually as time passes, and becomes harder since Nintendo droped support for the StreetPass Relays.

I was using this from a while ago to get hits on a (new)new3DS I recently managed to repair, so I can complete the puzzles and play the minigames, but after some time the process becomes a bit tiresome.

So I was thinking that this definitely could be made into:

1.- A Homebrew app like Checkpoint or Sharkive that manages the CECD (Chance Encounter Communications).
2.- Even better, a custom sysmodule/plugin for Rosalina that can cycle through the CECD's stored in some place in your SD card, or even online from the public spreadsheet, uploading custom ones from people that uses this module as well, so gathering streetpass hits would become easy.

I can look into the first option and make a homebrew app. I have plenty experience with programming but I never before did something like homebrew , so I could face many roadblocks in the process when trying to figure out things.

If someone wants to take over this idea, you are welcome, meanwhile I'll try my best (no promises made) to make this concept work.

If someone else knows if is possible to make this as a background process like I explained, please let us know, and remember I said that the main purpose of this post is to share my thoughts and present a cool concept that could benefit many 3DS users that still play this little but marvelous handheld, and as always, preservate these kind of functionalities for the future.

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I never had any streetpass relays in my country
Streetpass will never stop working but there are less people using their 3DSes and doing this wouldn't help because even less people have CFW and would be interested in something like this

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this will be Awesome! (the physical proximity of 3DS to another 3DS Streetpass Communication function will continue to work even w/ the relays shutdown, unless Nintendo actually decides to patch that out when teh verry last relay server shuts down.) the amount of Streetpass compatible games is far lower overall compared to the vast library the 3DS has that doesn't support it, and no game relied on it for a critical feature (Miitopia's a weak excuse as you can get by w/ Mii's you make/QR scanning in) the work i can only guess might be high up there.

So all the more to you if your able to make it, but because of the overall smaller library, in the context of "someone else taking over the idea" may not a thing unless an incentive is given. (im not trying to bash or shoot the thing down, hell i'm all for it. just giving my 2 cents on it)

That being all said, i think your original idea to swap the Encounter data with a rotating Database to Imitate how Homepass functioned via its Streetpass Relay functionality but this time w/ it's 3DS to 3DS proximity functionality might be the better way to go. it would come down to understanding the format Of the encounter information database, if it can be easily modified, make a simple tool on the 3DS end that does most of this "Editing" and downloading from an update server (think somewhat how Freeshop used to function more so for cache/and application updates), and bob's yer uncle.. but a issue would be how to make it cycle within the proper peroid that doesnt lock you out, (what was it? every 8 mins or every 30?) have it mark off this list for a certain ammount of time "i've ""Pased by" X X and X 3DS, no not "Pass" by them again for X$ of mins., Move to the next ones in the list. " (and i believe w/ street Pass via Homepass it only accepted 10 "Passes" per relay visit)

Last edited by Dracari,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I never had any streetpass relays in my country
Streetpass will never stop working but there are less people using their 3DSes and doing this wouldn't help because even less people have CFW and would be interested in something like this
I think you might have misunderstood the idea here slightly. This doesn't involve actually physically StreetPassing with other people with CFW, the idea is just to make the process of faking StreetPass hits something that's more easily done on the 3DS itself instead of users manually switching around StreetPass databases on the 3DS using some other device. The number of people with CFW isn't really relevant to how this works.

MicaTurtle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone would be willing to code this, I’d be willing to pay $100 for it. (Is that a decent price? Not sure) hopefully that would provide enough incentive to do it. I could pay through an escrow that would hold the money until the product was delivered, or $25 upfront and $75 when it’s finished. ... any takers out there?

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The main purpose of this post is to share my thoughts and present a cool concept that could benefit many 3DS users

As many of you know, the StreetPass feature is dying gradually as time passes, and becomes harder since Nintendo droped support for the StreetPass Relays.

I was using this from a while ago to get hits on a (new)new3DS I recently managed to repair, so I can complete the puzzles and play the minigames, but after some time the process becomes a bit tiresome.

So I was thinking that this definitely could be made into:

1.- A Homebrew app like Checkpoint or Sharkive that manages the CECD (Chance Encounter Communications).
2.- Even better, a custom sysmodule/plugin for Rosalina that can cycle through the CECD's stored in some place in your SD card, or even online from the public spreadsheet, uploading custom ones from people that uses this module as well, so gathering streetpass hits would become easy.

I can look into the first option and make a homebrew app. I have plenty experience with programming but I never before did something like homebrew , so I could face many roadblocks in the process when trying to figure out things.

If someone wants to take over this idea, you are welcome, meanwhile I'll try my best (no promises made) to make this concept work.

If someone else knows if is possible to make this as a background process like I explained, please let us know, and remember I said that the main purpose of this post is to share my thoughts and present a cool concept that could benefit many 3DS users that still play this little but marvelous handheld, and as always, preservate these kind of functionalities for the future.

https://github.com/FlagBrew/CECTool

The guys over at FlagBrew already did quite some work towards this.

Most functions like import, export, creating new boxes are already available. But i don't think they have plans to develop it into an app like Checkpoint / Sharkive.

The basics are already available. You just have to finish it.

Reactions: DSoryu

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If someone would be willing to code this, I’d be willing to pay $100 for it. (Is that a decent price? Not sure) hopefully that would provide enough incentive to do it. I could pay through an escrow that would hold the money until the product was delivered, or $25 upfront and $75 when it’s finished. ... any takers out there?
I'd add another 100$ bucks

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be interested and happy to help fundraise or find someone that is good with developing Homebrew and hire them to help bring a similar concept to life.

It would be great if someone developed a Homebrew app that could generate new street pass hits based off the users that are either using the homebrew app or recycle prior hits already generated. For me it would be great if such a Homebrew existed that did both. It would be awesome if we could have a Homebrew app that generated new hits while also having an option to recycle prior ones.

Where could I help contribute and fund such a thing?

Reactions: Thee_Stranger

livid_hen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an idea, to add to the pool: if someone were willing to pay for a server, and rewrote the street pass sysmodules to interact with that server, we could have just people using the "app/patch/whatever" send and receive tags over the internet, I guess just at random.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but I would really love something like this, especially as I'm just now discovering the other Streetpass games.

The current method -- Streetpass 2 -- is functional, but a tad cumbersome. I couldn't even share my own data as I have no unused Streetpasses.

But it would be great if someone developed an elegant way to keep this feature alive in a manner similar to how it originally worked without having to go into godmode 9 and dink around with code. It'd also be nice if there were some way to extract the existing characters in our MiiPlazas, archive them, and make them streetpassable again.

Actually saw a teenage girl playing a 2DS out in the wild about two weeks ago, at my local supermarket. Could but only wring my hands in angst, as I haven't actively carried around a 3DS in Sleep Mode in my pocket in ages. Had me kicking myself, though.

Reactions: Kazmar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there