make-multiv3 vs GCMUtility for MultiBoot GCN Disc?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Louse76, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Louse76
    OP

Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 7, 2007
    United States
    Deltona, FL USA
    I read how to use make-multiv3, and then wanted to shrink my games, so I found GCM Utility (v.5 - is there a newer version, and should I get it?).

GCM Utility seems to have an option to "Generate Multiboot ISO". Will that give the same result at make-multiv3? It seems that this would be easier to use, since it has a GUI.

Could someone clear this up for me?

Also, do all GCN games work shrunk and used in this manner? Or only some?

2. CYatta

CYatta GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2006
    United States
    The multiboot iso option in GCM Utility is probably referring too the old Viper multiboot method. In any case, it was bundled with v1 of make-multi, so I'm sure it's only to be used to shrink the iso's, since the method IT uses is old.

Also, I think some games may not work shrunk. Like, Mario Tennis (I belive?). I'm not sure on the specifics. I think it was discussed on the original topic when multiboot came out, or somewhere. But I'm sure most do.

3. Louse76
    OP

Jan 7, 2007
    United States
    Deltona, FL USA
    Where can I find a list of what works shrunk and what doesn't? It is imperative that I find it.

I already found one game that didn't work for me: Super Smash Bros. Melee. Is this one also known not to work shrunk?

4. sdoc96

sdoc96 Creaky Old Stiff Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    There is no 'official' list of what works with makemulti, shrunk or unshrunk, or which version, that I know of.
    There is however another discussion here....http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46229
    You'll just have to test each compilation on a RW before you burn your final disc, as I do.

BTW, my version of Smash Bros Melee works fine when shrunk. (Self ripped PAL version).

5. Louse76
    OP

Jan 7, 2007
    United States
    Deltona, FL USA
    I didn't rip mine, but I shrunk it. And it's NTSC btw.

There's gotta be a list somewhere! What's a dedicated GCN site?

6. sdoc96

sdoc96 Creaky Old Stiff Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Melbourne
    MakeMulti is an ever evolving beast and there may be a new version quite soon (as emu_kidid has started posting over at TehSkeen again). With each revision comes new compatability so noone will have an up2date list just yet, until it gets closer to a final version.
    Re GCMUtility, make sure you only shrink one game at a time and reboot the app inbetween each shrink, as I've found problems with it if you don't.