Major trouble finding a similar game to.....

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Xuphor, Mar 19, 2013.

Mar 19, 2013
  1. Xuphor
    OP

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Final Fantasy: My life as a King.

Anyone who's played it will likely say it's unique, but surely there is some sort of similar game out there? For those that have not played it, it's not a typical tycoon game at all. You actually play as a character, which you have to walk around your city in a 3rd person view at all times to build/interact/etc, and send your citizens on quests to eventually beat the game, level up your citizens, etc. That is the part of the game I'm wanting something similar to. A 3rd person game where you build a city/kingdom/town/whatever as you walk around it. This instantly rules out Simcity, Cities XL, Tropico, and any other game where it's just a straight up city builder sandbox.

I found that Majesty lets you assign quests to your citizens in a very My Life as a King way, and I did enjoy that game a lot, but the fact it's not a third-person game where you control one character really kind of made me get bored, but it is by a long shot the closest game I've found so far. That's not good, as it's really not very similar.

It can be for any system, all I ask is that it be a 3D game (not 3DS 3D, I just mean not sprite based).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the city building aspects of Dark Cloud 1 and 2 are indeed very similar to what I'm looking for, but they have a major problem: it's maybe 10% of the game at the most. The rest is just mediocre cliche action RPG. Some sort of a game that's comprised only of the building aspects of DK1 and 2 would work as well.

EDIT 2: Minecraft would be pretty much what I'm looking for, but the problem with that game is that there is absolutely no point/objective to it. Like MLAAK, DK1 and 2, and Majesty games, I need some sort of major overall objective.

2. weavile001

Member weavile001 Spiritmaster

Brazil
  3. Xuphor
    OP

United States
  4. weavile001

Brazil
    i think that this game is unique, if you want, buy the DLCs or replay it.
    but there are some very good city building games like anno,simcity,cities XL and others.

5. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    The town building sections of Dark Cloud 2 spring to mind. Although of course it's more of a traditional RPG than you want....a good one though!

6. weavile001

Brazil
    ....totally forgot this game.
    its awesome, you should get it.
    fits a bit into your specifications.

7. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Was going to suggest this as well.

8. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Ok, read the entirety of my OP before replying again:
    "A 3rd person game where you build a city/kingdom/town/whatever as you walk around it. This instantly rules out Simcity, Cities XL, Tropico, and any other game where it's just a straight up city builder sandbox."

Yea, both DK 1 and 2 fit the bill in those parts, but that's the problem, it's only maybe 10% of the game at the most. I'm looking for a game that's essentially comprised only of those parts.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Can I assume you have played dungeon keeper? It is not quite the same (though I have had games last hours the individual "missions" take a far shorter amount of time) but you build a base and you can control your minions in first person and do lots of things there. Indeed I found MLAK kind of lacking as I imagine you have probably found some of those games you mentioned as a result.

Likewise I am probably supposed to mention some of the later Assassin's Creed games had a serious measure of this though not so polished. Narrowing that slightly there are quite a few games that allow you to do things with your stable or even go further (Skies of Arcadia in the later game for instance) but that is getting very much off topic.

After this all I can really think of is some of the Japanese games ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/delving-into-iron-master-the-legendary-blacksmith.338058/ ) and possibly some of the Altelier games though I have no great love for that series.

10. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    You should try out minecraft.

11. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Oddly enough, that is pretty much exactly the kind of game I'm looking for, but with one major flaw. That's a sandbox game, there's absolutely no point. I need some sort of objectives, like MLAAK and DK 1 and 2 had.

12. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Im not into minecraft at all but I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kind of mod out there for it that allowed some sort of objective based village/city building.

13. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Little King's Story?

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Reading your description it just sounds like the city building aspects of Assassin's Creed II to Revelations. But it's not at all important and quite honestly the whole thing is redundant. The only reason to use money is to buy more things that get you more money.

But Little King's Story sounds a bit up your alley but it's not exactly the same. It's still a RTS but you take control of a person instead of being some omnipotent god directing your minions to go here and there. I'm usually not a fan of RTS games and I thought it was quite good. Worth giving a go either way.

15. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
  16. Xuphor
    OP

United States
    Little King's story is very different that's a Pikmin clone. A pretty good one, but not the type of game I'm looking for.

Bortz - if it's cancelled in all regions, and apparently there is no replacement planned at all for it, it's not exactly helpful....

17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I know im sorry, i just wanted to see if anyone remembered it, other than me.