Hacking MAIO: Moonshell All-in-One for R4s

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The following package will boot to and enable you to run commercial ROMs from moonshell on your R4.
MAIO for R4s (Ver 3.1)

UPDATE (25 March 2012)

This package has now been tested and working on:
  • R4iGold (& 3ds) (versions from www.r4ids.cn)
  • R4iGold (3D) (versions from www.r4idsn.com)
  • Orgiginal and 1.1 clones (need testing with new loaders)
versions:
  • Moonshell (ver 2.1)
  • Wood (ver 1.46)
  • nesDS (ver 1.0 release

General Instructions.
  • Copy all files in the ..common folder to the SD: root of a freshly formatted SD card.
  • Copy the all files from you card's respective folder to the root of the SD.
Accessing firmware for cheats or ROM settings
  • Press START > exit to firmware //or
  • Run WODDR4.NDS //or
  • Hold down B button when running any ROM
  • Running moonshl2.nds will take you back to MAIO.

Change Log.

Version 3.1
  • Updated to Wood 1.46
Version 3.01
  • Fixed misisng R4 Original DLDI
Version 3.0
  • Updated to Wood 1.45
  • Implemented YWGs new extlink loaders.
  • Removed all moonshell skins to reduce the file size.
  • Default Save set to .sav (Can be changed in Wood settings)

Version 2.7
  • Updated to Wood 1.43
  • Updated to nesDS V1.0 release
Version 2.6
  • Updated to wood 1.38
  • Updated to nesDS 1.0b
Version 2.5
  • Updated to wood 1.37
  • Updated to nesDS 1.0a
  • Bug Fix: Fixed a soft reset bug - possibly introduced in previous versions.
Version 2.4
  • Updated to wood 1.36
  • Updated to nesDS 0.55a
  • Added pokemon skin to wood (my boy asked for it)
Version 2.3
  • Updated to wood 1.35
Version 2.2
  • Updated to wood 1.33
  • Updated nesDS 0.54a (nes games should run direct from moonshell)
Version 2.1
  • Updated to wood 1.32
  • Updated nesDS 0.53a (nes games should run direct from moonshell)
Version 2.0
  • fixed start > exit to firmware bug. Thanks to jurassicplayer.
  • fixed R4i Gold not working. Thanks to jurassicplayer.

Skins

Moonshell2 - Skins have now been removed to reduce the file size. All skins in the following pack have been tested working - Moonshell v2 Stable Full Skin Pack Extract the contents of this package to the ../MS2 Skins folder on the SD. Just run the required skin file from Moonshell to install.

Wood - Several Wood / AK skins have been included in the MAIO package and can be change from the Wood system menu (exit to firmware or WOODR4.NDS)

Missing Icons.

If icons are missing for your games you can open them up in RomeR and apply changes. A link to RomeR has been placed in the downloads section.

*NOTE* you will need to change the cheats database to reflect the change in gameid or the cheats will not work after the RomeR changes to the header.

Step 1.
  • Download cheat database editor - R4CCE
  • Run r4cce.exe and open the usrcheat.dat from the SD:__rpgcheatsusrcheat.dat
Step 2.
  • scroll down to Pokemon White (any version should work) then right click > copy and right click again and paste.
  • scroll down to the bottom of the list and select the copy you just made.
  • You can then change the game title to something more meaningful.
Step3.
  • Click on the ... button near the (Dup?) button.
  • Browse for your Pokemon White ROM.
  • Finally click File > Save.

Cheats.

The cheat database included in this MAIO package were downloaded from the official database (see downloads section). Place the file usrcheat.dat in _rpg/cheats.

*Note* There are too many cheats in the official download for the original R4 to display so you will need to edit them using R4cce. You can use this program to delete the cheats you do not need making the database smaller. You can also use R4cce to change the gameid if changes have been made using RomeR.

Encoding Movies.

There has been some troubles with encoding DPG movies for use with Moonshell. There are many versions of DPGenc around. For best results use the copy of DPGenc included in the downloads section.

I have recently tried dpg4x (v2.0) and have had very good results. link in the downloads section.[/indent]

Downloads.
  • MAIO for R4s (Ver 3.1) - MAIO version for R4s. Run commercial ROMs from Moonshell on R4.
  • DPGenc - Encoder for encoding DPG movies for use with Moonshell.
  • dpg4x - GUI encoder for encoding DPG movies for use with Moonsell. Tested encoding with DPG V4
  • RomeR - Changes header details in NDS files.
  • usrcheat.dat - Latest cheats from the official GBATemp database.
  • CMP_usrcheat.dat - Latest cheats from DS_Scene. Find the link towards the bottom of the page
  • R4cce - used to edit cheat database files.
  • Moonshell v2 Stable Full Skin Pack - Moonshell skins tested working with MAIO.

Thanks
  • Moonlight: For producing Moonshell2
  • YWG: For producing Wood
  • Taiju (formally known as Xenon++): For the numerous program(s) he's contributed towards Moonshell2
  • JurassicPlayer: For supplying some modified Taiju files and re-building the R4iGold setup.
  • CannonFoddr: For original work on MAIO for acekards and use of MAIO logos
  • Avenir: for tips and advise.
  • All the developers who made Homebrew that have been included in MAIO, & to anyone who's contributed in any way & I've forgotten to mention
  • All artists who have produced skins included in this package. If anyone wants their skins removed please let me know.
  • A Gay Little Catboy & Inuuto: for testing

Reactions: gatekeeper1122

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generation 16 said:
Couldn't get ti working on my R4i Gold (r4ids.cn)
Otherwise this is pretty cool. Works fine on my 1:1 clone of the original R4.
Did you re-name the following?

_DS_MENU(alt - R4i Gold).DAT to _DS_MENU.DAT

WoodR4 (alt - R4i Gold).nds to WoodR4.nds.

Generation 16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Generation 16 said:

That is what I did, yes.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generation 16 said:
Mantis41 said:
Generation 16 said:

That is what I did, yes.
Bummer! I have ordered one of these so hopefully I can get it working when it arrives. Thanks.

Generation 16

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mantis41 said:
Bummer! I have ordered one of these so hopefully I can get it working when it arrives. Thanks.

Of course, it could be a problem on my end, maybe my micro sd card needs reformatting or something. I'll try again tomorrow and see what I can do.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
:/ If I am looking at this correctly, I think Mantis encrypted the _DS_MENU.dat for the R4i Gold version using r4crypt or another equivalent, which isn't needed for pretty much all other R4 clones (probably)...then again, even using an unencrypted file probably won't work. The R4iGold team wonderfully decided to now let users be able to swap the _ds_menu.dat to any homebrew they feel like (at least, not the ones that I have been attempting to use :/).

I think I can come up with a really messy sort of fix...but I don't particularly like it. Currently, what I'm attempting to have it do is use a slightly modified _ds_menu.dat (a second woodr4.nds) that uses redirect.ini instead of lastsave.ini to autoboot a custom file that would then redirect to a WoodR4.nds that uses the regular lastsave.ini or MS2, depending on if inilink was used to load something or not. If everything works out right, that would mean at least another ini, nds, and woodr4 have to be used. After that comes a choice of making iniclear either feed WoodR4 BS in order to go back to the Wood UI or having a second globalsettings.ini that the _ds_menu.dat will have to use in order to always stay on autoboot.

The best idea IMO is to just ask the R4iGold team to NOT do the weird crap they are doing because it's stupid and I don't like it.

-edit-
Pie, I'm being a retard. If my busted thinking is right, I don't NEED to go through all this trouble and just have the _ds_menu.dat that leads directly to Moonshell2. Then the rest would work per usual...I think xD (la de da de da...).

Updated inilink and iniclear (otherwise they default to ysmenu):
http://www.mediafire.com/?m2aruribnt8zqk5
Just hex edit a WoodR4 copy to use different .ini files and rename it to _DS_MENU.dat (I used alwaysautoboot.ini and redirect.ini). Aside from that, the rest of the set up is the same as usual.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @jurassicplayer.

I have uploaded version 1.1. Hopefully this will work on the R4i gold. It needs testing.
I have also used @Jurassicplayer's modified iniclear so I am hoping it will fix @The Gay Little Cat Boy's bug with exit to firmware. The new file still works on my R4 but needs testing on others.

Cheers
grog.gif

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again I ask where inilink.ini is.
I don't understand where the iniclear jumps to.
And I'm not sure about the difference between new and old iniclear.

Well WoodR4iDSn is gone?

I just hope some old files won't do bad thing.
0.79f is the latest and most stable. This moonshl2alt.nds is obsolete and unsupported at all.

PS. Morning Timer's latest version is 1.4 included in 2.10c2.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
avenir said:
Again I ask where inilink.ini is.
I don't understand where the iniclear jumps to.
And I'm not sure about the difference between new and old iniclear.

Well WoodR4iDSn is gone?

I just hope some old files won't do bad thing.
0.79f is the latest and most stable. This moonshl2alt.nds is obsolete and unsupported at all.

PS. Morning Timer's latest version is 1.4 included in 2.10c2.
Um.....
Back when we were messing with MAIO for Acekard (@cannonfoddr's build) we were having trouble getting it to work with akAIO 1.8.1+. I was messing with the inilink files and found if I took nds.inilink.nds and rename the copies to _vh.inilink.nds and _hn.inilink.nds it worked. I started trimming out files that were not being used and nds.inilink.nds and inlink.ini were two that did not seem to be used anymore with the new setup.

As far as the rest of the files go they are just the original files from @cannonfoddr's MAIO bulid. I had no idea they were out of date. I thought they were all from the latest 2.10 build. We have been using this for almost a year on the acekards and it seems to work fine with no problems

I'm not sure what @jurassicplayer's version of iniclear is doing, it seems to be jumping to nds.mshl2wrap.nds. I could be wrong. I'm no programmer I just like to tinker.

Could you please post a list of files in the package you would recommend updating as you probably know more about how moonshell works than any of us.

What do you mean WoodR4iDSn is gone? I thought it was updated at the latest version. 1.30.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Right, here are the sources for the iniclear and inilink (older than the latest maybe...I'm not sure xD).
main.c for iniclear:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ebexw6y4nin62x1

main.c for inilink:
http://www.mediafire.com/?uxccn47hpeo3z8a

The only thing that is different with these compared to the ones in the svn is that I removed all the helpful stuff (meh, it somewhat helps me learn what does what somehow :/), have the images instead of the text, and I added a "R4i " (that is the dldi that gets recorded when I use the R4iGold, so meh) so that it uses WoodR4.nds instead of ysmenu (if the inilink is set to use woodr4 anyways). Iniclear still uses the inilink.ini or defaults to /WoodR4.nds like the R4TF.

About the latest MAIO, I meant that a hex edited WoodR4.nds had to replace the _DS_MENU.dat and has to always autoboot to moonshl2.nds and then you have a second unmodified WoodR4.nds to be used as the normal one that boots games and is referenced by the inilink.ini.

What Taiju is talking about with the "Well WoodR4iDSn is gone?" is that you didn't include the WoodR4.nds for R4iGold, which is needed for R4iGold users (stupid R4iGold team, doing weird stuff :/).

As for currently used and unused things...you don't need to have the nds.mshl2wrap.nds, mshl2wrap.ini, _hn.HugeNDSLoader.nds, _vh.VeryHugeNDSLoader.nds (and those .old ones), and it might be a good idea to add in an inilink.ini so people can change where they place things.
inilink.ini that I have:
http://pastebin.com/VKcwPNu3

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*UPDATE*

This package has now been updated and tested working on Original R4, 1:1 clones and the R4iGold series of cards.

Thanks to Jurassicplayer for some major re-construction and Avenir for some helpful advice.

Notes: At the moment Moonshell boots on the R4iGold via an autorun hack form wood written by Jurassicplayer. This slows things down a tad as the card has to boot to wood before moonshell on start up and soft reset.

If anyone can get moonshell to boot directly as _DS_MENU.DAT on the R4igold it should speed things up a little.

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
EDIT: Hold down B when running any commercial ROM.
This will leave you in wood menu rather than running the slected ROM. The other methods are preferable, START button > exit to firmware or run the R4_menu.NDS from the root of the card

RoboticBuddy said:
In-game Cheats?
All wood functions will work as normal. Just use one of the methods above to exit to wood and change settings or cheats as you would normaly.

QUOTE(RoboticBuddy @ Jun 13 2011, 11:30 PM)
EDIT 2: Can you use Moonshell 2 Skins for this?
Yes! there is a skins folder already (MS2 Skins), just open it from moonshell (MAIO) and select a skin. (Thanks to all the Artists who's skins have been included)

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we're using it on an Original R4, could we delete the R4i Gold files?

Will this work on an R4iDSN?

EDIT: How do we make this NOT autoboot to Moonshell?

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoboticBuddy said:
If we're using it on an Original R4, could we delete the R4i Gold files?

Will this work on an R4iDSN?
Yes! delete the gold files for original R4.

I haven't tested it on an R4iDSN. I think that card boots from _DSMENU.DAT instead of _DS_MENU.DAT.

Try renaming the R4 _DS_MENU.DAT. If that doesn't work try the gold _DS_MENU.DAT re-named to _DSMENU.DAT and try using the gold version of WoodR4.NDS

Let me know how it goes

Cheers
grog.gif

Mantis41

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I have seen the new 52 and dcau animated movies I think they take every opportunity to say his name "Dick", and they say it more often than should have been necessary
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    Good morning!
  • ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi:
    pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    hi, i need help with unbanning my 3ds, can somebody show me a link to a seed that still works and isnt yet banned, mine got banned yesterday
  • A @ anotherthing:
    The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @StatusN, welcome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey qwerty look at that you ain't the youngest here anymore
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Had a question on 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    will one still be able to transfer pokemon from the ds 3ds games to Switch
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Supposedly Bank isn't going down.
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    i know they are @anotherthing but i modded m y 3ds last month and i installed pretendo but as my 3ds got banned i need a friend seed to unblock my 3ds
  • A @ anotherthing:
    You got banned from Pretendo?
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    online ban
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @anotherthing I think Nintendo should have just re released all pokemon games on the switch
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    let you transfer it all
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    bank got shutdown in april last year
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones (remakes don't count)
  • StatusN @ StatusN:
    does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone does then thanks
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty I refuse to get Nintendo Switch online
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    until they add pokemon mainline games
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could very easily do so
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i meant that they got rereleased in virtual console in 3ds
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    A @ anotherthing: Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.