Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers Official Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by VVoltz, Jul 5, 2009.

1. VVoltz
    OP

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    [​IMG]

Official trailers:

[​IMG]
    The world's premier trading card game, Magic: The Gathering is now available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade! Experience Magic: The Gathering – Duels of the Planeswalkers, an epic game of fantasy & strategy, as you unleash a torrent of fantastic creatures and devastating spells to destroy online foes in your quest for domination!

Available in English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish; Duels of the Planeswalkers features eight unique player decks, deck customization with unlocked content, single player and cooperative campaigns, ranked and unranked online single player and cooperative play, leader boards, and more!

With your purchase of Duels of the Planeswalkers on Xbox LIVE Arcade for 800 MS points, you will receive a code valid for an exclusive Magic: The Gathering, limited edition, foil Garruk Wildspeaker Planeswalker promo card as a gift from Wizards of the Coast!

Official Site

Well this is a surprise, the Magic game on the 360 is actually really good, out since 3 weeks ago it is still no really that popular, not many players playing it online.
    I'll be adding more info here if I see if there is enough quorum.

I love the fact that most of it's cards are classic ones and I mean really classic ones, I used to play Magic 10, maybe 12 years ago and most of it's content seems like it's from 4th ~ 5th editions, fantastic, also, you cannot buy cards online, you basically play offline and earn rare cards so you an tweak existing decks and play online, it seems kinda unfair system but at least I get to play a lot and not to spend a lot in order to have a powerful deck.

Anybody has it yet?

2. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    I've never played the actual card game but I gave the arcade demo a shot and enjoyed. Took me a bit of getting used to (not all that bright! heh) but it was fun. I'm probably gonna shell out the dosh for it when I've got some spare.

3. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    Yeah that is what I've read and I have to admit, it doesn't have the best tutorials. Good thing there is an option called "Mentor" where seasoned players can actually TEACH new comers. I can Mentor anyone that's interested =) (message me, GT:VVoltz)

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    MTG was a guilty pleasure of mine. I still have massive quantities of the cards. I guess I just grew out of them, although it is a great card game that can kick Yu-Gi-Oh's small anime balls. If there was a handheld rendition of the classic card game, I'd consider downloading/buying it.

5. VVoltz
    OP

Bolivia
    This one is the best Magic game I've played and that includes the original Duels of the Planeswalkers in PC from the 90s.
    kudos to WotC for making this game with such a classic taste, from the old cards to the original abilities and even some of the classic artwork, this is truly a hidden gem among the sea of XBL games.

6. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    One of my flatmates has really gotten into it. All of us (myself, Wife® & 2 flatmates) have all played the actual TCG a bit (myself and Bobby used to be hardcore into the cards... in fact, we've both been selling off old cards on ebay over the past few weeks lol, and the ladies have started playing recently), so, of course, a 360 Arcade version is killer.

I haven't played too much as of yet, but i might get into it a bit mo'. We shall see what happens. If i DO play more, VVoltz (and anyone else that might care), i'll hit ya up and we can get some smack-talk goin on. [​IMG]

7. Blue Zoidberg

Member Blue Zoidberg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Great presentation, unfortunately it's crap for any serious card gamer.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Interesting, I have not played magic for the better part of a decade but I will have to check this out.

My only problem is that these games (OK the last proper magic game (I am ignoring the xbox game I played) I played was on the PC about the same time) automate too many things (forgetting to untap lands for instance is something that generally does not happen in a game) or failing to automate them in a good way (making you click on every single land and requiring three clicks to do it).

9. Blue Zoidberg

United States
    Ha, I remember the old Magic game for the PC, it was great. Run around a map trying to avoid annoying planeswalkers while searching for cards...

Fortunately, all the automation, and lack of automation, has been taken care of beautifully. Coming from a long history of playing the game (15 years now) I played five or six games and had no fuss with how the game progressed.
    The biggest problem with this game is the total lack of deck customization. There isn't any. None, zip, zero. You can add a couple of cards here and there, but overall you cannot make your own decks which, lets face it, is the only reason to seriously play the game.
    Maybe if XBL or the software company can come up with some way to add that feature (and maybe toss in some good old cards) then we're talking about a serious game.

10. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Question and a thought.

Question: Is it possible to Mana Burn in this? I haven't played much, but my buddy plays a bit and hasn't found an option to mana burn (which he was trying to pull off at one point for one reason or another lol).

Also, is there an option to turn on mana tap? So it's not auto. (this does lead into the possibilities of Mana Burn, but we haven't really found this either.)

And the thought:
    Microsoft/Wizards really have a cash cow with this game. DLC Booster packs. 'Nuf said. Dunno if they're doing it, but if they aren't, they're really not thinking about the possible money printer for which they've been waiting.

11. Blue Zoidberg

United States
    WotC already has Magic: Online which gives them a ton of revenue (like they really need it), and I'm sure M$ has never shied away from extra cash, but all of this still relies on two things: player support and deck customization.

12. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States

mana burn doesnt exist anymore

Mana Pools Emptying

The Reality: Many players can't clearly distinguish between phases and steps. The fact that mana remains in pools from step to step but not phase to phase is arbitrary. The concept of floating mana from step to step is hard to understand. Mana pools, in general, should be empty most of the time that players pass priority for ease of keeping track of the game state.

The Fix: Mana pools now empty at the end of each step and phase, which means mana can no longer be floated from the upkeep to the draw step, nor from the declare attackers step to the declare blockers step of combat.

Mana Burn Eliminated

The Reality: Many players aren't aware of the existence of mana burn as a game concept. Discovering it exists, especially via an opponent manipulating his own life total for gain, can be jarring. Its existence impacts game play in a negligible way, whereas its existence impacts card design space somewhat significantly.

The Fix: Mana burn is eliminated as a game concept. Mana left unspent at the end of steps or phases will simply vanish, with no accompanying loss of life.

source - http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Arti...ily/feature/42a

13. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Woah, interesting. I haven't touched my X360 for a month I think and I haven't played M:tG since Mirage and Visions came out (started playing just before Revised came out with Beta/Unli cards borrowed from a friend's brother). I bought some of those Fat Packs though with the novels though never played with the cards.

I also like Richard Garfield's other card games more (Jyhad/VTES especially, also Netrunner lol) :3

No more love for:
    [​IMG]
    lol

14. El-ahrairah

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I haven't played MT:G since the Urza Saga. I tried to get back into it during Fifth Dawn, but fell out again.

I've been wanting to try this game for a while, I should download the demo.

15. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    i think that still may work. what i thought they ment with mana burn is like if you used a dark ritual (tap one swamp and add 3 to mana pool) and if you didn't use those 3 you would take damage from them at the end of your turn (because it only added them for that turn they weren't permanents )

16. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Of course the card still works I guess, what I meant was using Power Surge to force people into tapping lands to get mana burn won't work anymore. A stupid example I guess but I couldn't think of a card to be built to force mana burn (ex. Power Surge + Mana Barbs lol oldskool).

17. El-ahrairah

Member El-ahrairah GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Everytime I try to play this game, it freezes. Sometimes it'll do it in 5 minutes, sometimes after 20 or so, but it always does so. I hope they patch it.

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I wish I had a Xbox just for this game. Every now and then it's good to have a collectable card game.

Personally, I kinda fell out of it after the Mirrodin collection. Still got my Darksteel Collousous, though, one of my most overpowered cards I own (it's a big, 11/11 indestructable beast that goes back into your deck if it gets sent to the graveyard). The only thing topping that is probably the Darksteel Reactor (which is just an indestructable Artifact that wins you the game in 20 turns or more). Gosh I miss my Artifacts deck...