Magic Leap's First Headset Revealed (Finally)

magic leap one welcome.JPG

The super secretive startup Magic Leap has had it with teasing the general public and has finally revealed its headset to the public; enter Magic Leap One.

Updating their website today, Magic Leap showed to the world what it's been secretly cooking for years (hint: it does not come with a massive backpack) and has even announced to begin shipping its first product to developers in 2018.

hurmywqvqatr5fhr0tul.jpg

lightwear.JPG lightpack.JPG control.JPG

The Magic Leap One is a bundle of headset chock-full of cameras (the Lightwear), a belt pack (the Lightpack) and a controller à la Google DayDream.

So far it looks like another Augmented/Mixed Reality device like the Hololens. However, Rolling Stone's Brian Crecente sat down with Magic Leap creator, Rony Abovitz, for an exclusive hands-on experience of the device and interview, and according to the latter, what will set Magic Leap’s device apart from its competitiors is a larger field of view and a new way of rendering 3D objects to the eye using an artificial light field.

The presence of the Lightpack means that the device will run independently of any PC as the Lightpack itself is the engine that drives their platform. And that's where we should draw our attention to. On the official website, under "Platform Features", the device is touted to have an "integrated processing unit delivers high-fidelity, gaming-quality graphics, with the power and performance of a laptop computer. From editing an elaborate 3D model to playing a first-person shooter in your living room, Magic Leap One produces lightfield objects in intricate detail, all on a highly responsive, self-contained wearable." Well that could mean anything and nothing but in the Rolling Stone article, the writer points that "Abovitz declines to say what the GPU, CPU or other specs are of the headset, nor will he say what the battery life is."

Well, maybe we shouldn't be too concerned about the specs but more about the experience that the device has to offer. After all, it's coming from the company that made us all drool over this concept:

What do you think of Magic Leap's potential? Are you excited or still skeptical?

:arrow: SOURCE

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It does seem to function a lot like the Hololens. I'll wait for the consumer version of the Hololens, as it already has a development community and I'm a part of it's ecosystem.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if it really worked as well the video, gears of war horde mode would be killer! Oh god, old schools instead of tearing them could be used as giant AR play grounds.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well that headset just looks wacky.

Interesting device, but I believe this will be used by 3D artists and designers and niche users way more than it will be used for any sort of gaming.

high-fidelity, gaming-quality graphics,
the power and performance of a laptop computer.
Pick one :tpi:

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Interesting that Weta Workshop is involved. Apparently they have a software branch that's developing games for the Leap platform:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/20/16800786/what-to-expect-magic-leap-one said:
Magic Leap will also feature gaming experiences, including one from Weta Workshop’s gaming arm. This particular game, a first-person shooter set in the steampunk-esque Doctor Grordbort universe of comics, guns, and more, is expected to launch when the hardware does in 2018.

I'll be waiting for the first hands on reviews.

Last edited by Charli,

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While i didnt expect everyone to see this as a good thing so that there wouldnt be a monopoly on the mix reality part of gaming i didnt expect people to be so boring with there replies. Most of whats being said is just copy pasted from other threads about new things or remakes of old things.

Does no one here see this as a possible mixed reality Sword art online that hopefully wont cost an arm and a leg. Come on people the futures knocking stop slamming the door in its face. Sure hololens looks great but at this point im just waiting on who ever releases a consumer version first and for less cash(or a payment plan).

Reactions: Charli

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm intrigued, a lot depends on price and early reviews obviously. AR I feel like still has a much longer way to go than VR, but something like this could prove me wrong. It still looks goofy as hell even if it doesn't completely obstruct your real-world vision, so it's not like you're going to wear it anywhere but at home. Why it can't also be driven by wire from PC I'm not sure.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go +2