Magic Leap Teases Us With New Demo

magic_leap-1.jpg

The future is here. Or so would the many VR projects of late make us want to believe. But there's one particular, ultra-secretive, heavily wrapped and very ambitious project that might actually make this statement more real and tangible, or visual in that sense. Yes, I'm talking about the Florida-based startup, Magic Leap that has amassed more than a billion dollars in investment, without even having a dev kits. Today, we have a bit more information concerning said project

Wired's Kevin Kelly has had exclusive access to the headset (it exists!) and has posted a detailed article about his experience. Give it a read from the source below! He effectively describes it as mixed reality and further adds that "its reality is stronger than I thought possible". Here's an excerpt:

I saw other things with these magical goggles. I saw human-sized robots walk through the actual walls of the room. I could shoot them with power blasts from a prop gun I really held in my hands. I watched miniature humans wrestle each other on a real tabletop, almost like a Star Wars holographic chess game. These tiny people were obviously not real, despite their photographic realism, but they were really present—in a way that didn’t seem to reside in my eyes alone; I almost felt their presence.

And just today, Magic Leap has released a new video showing off actual footage of the device's possibilities. Note the footnote in the video: "Shot directly through Magic Leap technology on April 8, 2016. No additional effects or compositing were used in the creation of this video (except for this text)".

The team has already teased the gaming possibilities with the Magic Leap before. When will we be able to try it or at least get more news about their device, who knows? What are your thoughts and expectations about Magic Leap, tempers?

:arrow: SOURCE

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
gaming on AR environments has always the same problem ... made the room "alive" , as long is only projecting the game in the "air" there is no advantage on a VR headset...

When the game can recognize what is in the room and use that for gameplay purposes then AR is adding something new ...

in other environments i can see these googles getting an enourmous potential .
but as for gaming the need really some "magic" to be compelling ...
According to the source, it does do that. I think it looks very promising. I'm not too impressed by what I've seen of Hololens but this seems like it's a big improvement over that.

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
If this is actual direct footage, I'm absolutely blown away. This is the kind of stuff you see on TV, and it's coming closer and closer to everyday use.

I would actually buy one of these if the price was right.

Is five million dollars good enough for you? lol

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
The [insertProductNameHere] costs only 4999$, excluding shipping fees! The future is at your door!*

*The computer needed to use [productNameHere] is not included. Minimum requirements: Intel core i7 8 core 4.3GHz, GTX Titan Z SLI, 32GB RAM.

cyb0rg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is actual direct footage, I'm absolutely blown away. This is the kind of stuff you see on TV, and it's coming closer and closer to everyday use.

I would actually buy one of these if the price was right.

Microsoft HoloLens - Transform your world with holograms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

Microsoft shows Hololens Simulation at Build 2015

jimmyleen

Trophies
XP
Country
All this Magic Leap thing seems like a big troll, this is way too elaborate for a private project.

I am starting to look at it like this, if bill gates is not a investor I will not buy it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Microsoft HoloLens - Transform your world with holograms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThCr0PsyuA

Microsoft shows Hololens Simulation at Build 2015

Yeah well the hololens is nothing more than pure shit.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cute, but if that thing is as bulky as any of the headsets I've used it will be uncomfortable to wear for more than 5 mins. Also, what's wrong with my screen? Why would I need data floating on my wall? If I wanted that I would get a projector. Imho all this vr and ar stuff is a passing fad.

Last edited by Deboog,
Reactions: Pluupy

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's ton of game that would be awesome on this shit : Nintendogs, coocking mama, Harry Potter : Sorcerers Duel,

Imagine this, you have your wand in your hand, and deppending on how you move it, there are lightning of different color comming out from it :)

Reactions: Prans

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure this is not something used for people with 0 spiritual skill to observe astral plane?
Edit:
This is a joke and also I thought it was extremely realistic. If you are seeing things and has never been trained spiritually I suggest you get some help.
Also this might be as pricy as hololens.

Last edited by Yil,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure this is not something used for people with 0 spiritual skill to observe astral plane?
Edit:
This is a joke and also I thought it was extremely realistic. If you are seeing things and has never been trained spiritually I suggest you get some help.
Also this might be as pricy as hololens.

I'll have you know that I've been trained to a lvl78 cleric, and I still don't see things.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cute, but if that thing is as bulky as any of the headsets I've used it will be uncomfortable to wear for more than 5 mins. Also, what's wrong with my screen? Why would I need data floating on my wall? If I wanted that I would get a projector. Imho all this vr and ar stuff is a passing fad.
Imho, that's incredibly shortsighted. Except maybe (maybe!) the family room, eventually VR and especially AR can replace every screen in your house and still remain more portable than your projector and TV.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: