Tutorial MACycle - The Improved MAC Changer for HomePass!

Do you guys want to try an Open Beta with MACycle 2.00?

• Yes

Votes: 56 94.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
vfFdPwg.png
If you get any bugs that aren't documented, let me know in this thread!

Welcome to MACycle! This program designed for HomePass is conceptualized from Chaldron's MAC Cycler, however, it's written in .NET and has plenty of features:

1. The same defined order that's in MAC Cycler. (See this page for more info!)
2. A randomizer that randomizes the MACs you're using so you get different people all the time.
3. The ability to use custom MAC addresses (So you can Streetpass with friends that are far away).
4. Some speciality MACs (The Nintendo World NY ones, and they're built-in!) to try.
5. The ability to append your own list of MAC addresses, as well as share them!

Requirements:
-Windows 7/8 (Or, if you're using XP, a Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Adapter, then follow instructions in this post.)
-Active Internet connection
-A working Nintendo Zone hotspot with the name "Wi-Fi" on your computer (Like Chaldron's program requires)
-.NET Framework 4.0 minimum

And with over 20,000* downloads, you can't go wrong with MACycle!

Some screenshots:
DZM6hSM.png
7GPymlm.png
lZEnTOt.png

(Images from V1.30)
To use this program, you must already have a working connection that you can receive a streetpass on. Once you can do that, you're ready for MACycle! Open it, find what suits you, and get started!

Currently, I have all features coded and working to a high degree of functionality, that being listed below:

Features (A checkmark shows completeness, or else percentage shows how much is done.)
-Sequential MAC cycling - ✓
-Random MAC cycling - ✓
-Custom MAC input - ✓
-Nintendo World MAC input - ✓
-Parse and use a custom user-generated list - ✓
-Next/Pause/Resume buttons - ✓

Currently known bugs:
-Some MACs don't switch nicely (See below for potential solution)
-Windows XP cannot cycle correctly (Pending WMI Queue)

Suggested-but-not-yet-implemented features:
-ICS support (To fix issues with switching MAC addresses)

And last, but definitely not least, some credits:
-Chaldron for the original script for changing MACs, MAC Cycler, which gave me inspiration to write this.
-Everyone that helped Chaldron debug his application.
-The people that took the time to write out this set of MACs that most of the cyclers here are using.
-@Falco20019 for rewriting and improving the entire program's efficiency, as well as galnol for the V2.00 refactor and subsequent improvements.
-BLaZiNiX for the C# INI class (Link)
-pyorin for the MACycle logo and icon (It looks fantastic!)
-Everyone that submitted a bug report and/or suggested a feature for MACycle. Without you, this program could just run itself into the ground.
-If I forgot you, PM me and I'll add you!

Some additional notes

If you need to delete your hostednetwork settings to set up a new SSID, do the following:

1. Open regedit (Press WinKey+R, then type "regedit", and hit Enter).
2. Browse to the following registry key:
Code:
hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\services\wlansvc\parameters\hostednetworksettings
3. Delete the hostednetworksettings folder.
4. Restart your computer.

To verify that the settings are deleted:
1. Start Command Prompt as an Administrator.
2. Type "netsh wlan show hostednetwork" and press Enter. It should show "Settings: <Not Configured>". If not, search your registry for all traces of the previous SSID you used and delete their folders, then restart and check again.

Feel free to reply, and see if you'd like to see more MACs added, or what have you. I think it has all the features it should need, but if there's anything you don't see, ask about it and I'll see if I can manage to add it.

*Downloads is total amount of downloads between all released versions of MACycle, excluding source code.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Alright, so at this point in time, I have the basic features finished, and it's now down to bug testing. I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning so all the MACs are cleared from the 3DS and none of them will time out, then I'll give it a runthrough to see how well it works. If you want to ask anything about the program, feel free to!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd be more than willing to test this as soon as you send me the files, should you so choose. The random aspect sounds great.

Actually, two questions.

1) Is this limited to the 14 "prime" MACs that Chaldron has, or the entire 100 list (the MAX version) he has?

2) possible to add the Nintendo World MAC addresses in for the sequential and random listings? Or, perhaps add the ability to append your own mac addresses/the NWorld ones to the sequential/random list?

Reactions: alivebacon

Siras

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like a nice program and I will try it when i get back home. When you are starting the mac cycling are you doing that in a new thread? Otherwise that could be the reason the gui freezes.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I'd be more than willing to test this as soon as you send me the files, should you so choose. The random aspect sounds great.

Actually, two questions.

1) Is this limited to the 14 "prime" MACs that Chaldron has, or the entire 100 list (the MAX version) he has?

2) possible to add the Nintendo World MAC addresses in for the sequential and random listings? Or, perhaps add the ability to append your own mac addresses/the NWorld ones to the sequential/random list?
1. It's as long as the MAX version, but I'm thinking I may make a checkbox to toggle it now that you mention it. Shouldn't be terribly hard to implement.
2. I could add that, and perhaps have it save all the custom MACs to a text file that it looks for on opening.

Looks like a nice program and I will try it when i get back home. When you are starting the mac cycling are you doing that in a new thread? Otherwise that could be the reason the gui freezes.

Yeah, that is the reason, but it's not just that. When the MACs are being cycled, things are updating on the main GUI (Text being added to a textbox, progressbars are being updated, etc), and if I do that from another thread, I have illegal thread-safe calls, and it errors. I plan to hopefully rewrite that, but I need to pinpoint what exactly needs to be threaded and hopefully fix the issue soon.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Thought I'd bump to mention that V1.00 beta has been released. Check the readme! http://bit.ly/16iMMhc

I've also added some checks to the program to ensure that you know what bugs there are and that I'm aware of them. I have a few other things to add that I'll do in the coming days, but currently, it just does what it does. However, if you get any bugs that aren't documented, let me know in this thread!

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Downloaded, I'll be trying it out while I sleep tonight.

Once you get the threading issues worked out (I have some experience in VB.net with it... delegates were explained in a weird way, but made sense in practice) it would be nice to be able to skip ahead to the next mac with a click/keypress like Chaldrons.

Also, one issue I've run into with both programs is my connection not connecting after a mac switch. Sometimes I have to disable the virtual connection for about 5 seconds while it re-establishes a connection to my router, otherwise it will just sit at some connected/not-validated state. An configurable delay for the 'start hostednetwork' call would be nice.

EDIT: Running one of my cores at 100% usage was running the fan which was getting annoying, so I'll try this again once you fix some things up.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Downloaded, I'll be trying it out while I sleep tonight.

Once you get the threading issues worked out (I have some experience in VB.net with it... delegates were explained in a weird way, but made sense in practice) it would be nice to be able to skip ahead to the next mac with a click/keypress like Chaldrons.

Also, one issue I've run into with both programs is my connection not connecting after a mac switch. Sometimes I have to disable the virtual connection for about 5 seconds while it re-establishes a connection to my router, otherwise it will just sit at some connected/not-validated state. An configurable delay for the 'start hostednetwork' call would be nice.

EDIT: Running one of my cores at 100% usage was running the fan which was getting annoying, so I'll try this again once you fix some things up.

I can probably add a few second's configurable delay (3 seconds default sounds fair, then I'll add a new Settings tab to configure this kind of stuff) before the hostednetwork restart. I'll add that to the buglist, and yeah. I might attempt to optimize the program a tad before I hand it off to anyone. Being new, as I said, isn't easy because everything you write looks like shit and performs like shit.

What I'm not sure about is that it waits until macshift is totally done running before running command prompt to restart the hostednetwork, so I don't know why it's doing that, but yeah. I can add a cooldown period in there to ensure it properly resets and restarts.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here you have a tester, looking forward to this :D, great job Team Fail!!

EDIT: If this gets fixed:

-virtual network may not restart properly and stay in a limited state

I'll love you forever :grog:

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Here you have a tester, looking forward to this :D, great job Team Fail!!

EDIT: If this gets fixed:

-virtual network may not restart properly and stay in a limited state

I'll love you forever :grog:

Well, if my mom stops wanting to look at houses on my laptop, I might try coding that in real quickly and release 1.01.

Reactions: DSoryu

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Got the first error, I'm using Windows 8 PRO, sorry for it not be in English, I don't have that language set instaled:
<snip>

Based upon that output box, and that the error is showing up at the "Switching to the next MAC..." part, that means it can't find macshift. Is it in the same directory as the program? A copy of macshift comes with the program for that.

I was thinking on making an error handler for that. I might just do that.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Based upon that output box, and that the error is showing up at the "Switching to the next MAC..." part, that means it can't find macshift. Is it in the same directory as the program? A copy of macshift comes with the program for that.

I was thinking on making an error handler for that. I might just do that.

Yup, is in the same folder, you can see the unziped folder on the desktop, everything is untouched.

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Yup, is in the same folder, you can see the unziped folder on the desktop, everything is untouched.

Actually, I just found why. I'm going to release a version with the cooldown added, but I haven't implemented the check in case it isn't copied yet. Hang on a minute and I'll upload it.

Edit: MACycle V1.01: http://bit.ly/19NQ1W8
Check the Version History in the Help tab for more information!

Reactions: DSoryu

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Hey, just telling you that added this post to mine. Good luck with those bugs :)

What I'm thinking I might do is create a second form that's threaded so it doesn't freeze, and have controls (buttons that change bools, different ints, etc) on it that control the MAC cycling, whether it's go to next, stop, etc etc. In theory it should work, but I need to actually find out haha.

AndyN

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
This is an awesome program. I think I set everything up using the virtual router and macycle correctly. I can see the Nintendo zone and the internet appears to be working on my 3ds (shows my friends online and I can use ie explorer). I am running the virtual router and the macycle program at the same time but I haven't gotten any streetpasses yet. Is there something else I need to do? I am using windows 7. On a side not I tried using a different method before, using the wifi router and this it was the same. I could always get to and able to use Nintendo zone but couldn't ever get any streetpasses.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1