Tutorial MACycle - The Improved MAC Changer for HomePass!

Do you guys want to try an Open Beta with MACycle 2.00?

• Yes

Votes: 56 94.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
So last night I decided to toss this in and quickly test it, and it's working, although the code I wrote needs a bit of polishing still. Anyways, I mentioned it in the changelog above, but I think a picture is worth a thousand words, so take a look at the new Live Updater!

Zdnk18Z.png
With MACycle V2.00, I'm planning to add the ability to update the application from directly within MACycle (Pending me getting a web server). You can choose to have it check for updates on startup as well so you can ensure you're on the latest version all of the time.​
It's incredibly basic, but I didn't want to have to go through all the BS that Microsoft has in Visual Studio for checking for updates, so I made my own haphazard updating system where it grabs a text file from the internet and parses it to check if you need to update, and where to get the update file from. Anyways, I'm targeting early January for a release, however, my testing seems to be doing me little good as I can't get any hits for some reason. I'm working with my testers to get it working ASAP though so I can push on and release this version. I'm really excited for it, and so should you.​

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
eh, do you need help with testing? I'm actually done with the national weekend for now, but there are still a few days left

Perfect time to ask, actually.

So, I've gotten all my features in and ready to go, however, I have only a small number of beta testers. So, here's my proposition:

Would all you guys like to try the beta versions and send me feedback via this thread? I'll try my best to patch up as many bugs as I can in the limited time I have, and once they're patched, make the final V2.00 release? I'll call it the MACycle Open Beta.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Perfect time to ask, actually.

So, I've gotten all my features in and ready to go, however, I have only a small number of beta testers. So, here's my proposition:

Would all you guys like to try the beta versions and send me feedback via this thread? I'll try my best to patch up as many bugs as I can in the limited time I have, and once they're patched, make the final V2.00 release? I'll call it the MACycle Open Beta.

I am all for it. Just for general information, I am cycling through the 160 basic, plus the 6E and 40 variants, for a total of 480. This is exactly good enough for one switch per minute over 8 hours (about the limit my setup can handle without losing passes too often, when the relay failed to complete in the allotted time). So anyone with a working homepass setup can do this, just that outside of the special periods, the variants may not return a full set of miis, or you tend to run into repeats from fellow homepassers too often (this can be desirable/undesirable depending on the situation). Of course, the experts already know this so feel free to ignore :P

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I am all for it. Just for general information, I am cycling through the 160 basic, plus the 6E and 40 variants, for a total of 480. This is exactly good enough for one switch per minute over 8 hours (about the limit my setup can handle without losing passes too often, when the relay failed to complete in the allotted time). So anyone with a working homepass setup can do this, just that outside of the special periods, the variants may not return a full set of miis, or you tend to run into repeats from fellow homepassers too often (this can be desirable/undesirable depending on the situation). Of course, the experts already know this so feel free to ignore :P

Good to hear. More people testing means I can find and fix all the bugs that are in this version. I've added a poll too, I'll check it after a few days, and depending on results, I may or may not post the Open Beta.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Good to hear. More people testing means I can find and fix all the bugs that are in this version. I've added a poll too, I'll check it after a few days, and depending on results, I may or may not post the Open Beta.

Why not do it right away? before the global streetpass period ends

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
Why not do it right away? before the global streetpass period ends

Well, people can use 1.40, I just don't want people having a million issues getting it working during the period. However, if people do want to try it, feel free to vote and if people want to have an Open Beta period, so be it.

MattDragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, people can use 1.40, I just don't want people having a million issues getting it working during the period. However, if people do want to try it, feel free to vote and if people want to have an Open Beta period, so be it.
Well... That's the problem. 1.40 doesn't work anymore thanks to the password thing... Will this be fixed in version 2.0? I'm ready yo test!

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Well... That's the problem. 1.40 doesn't work anymore thanks to the password thing... Will this be fixed in version 2.0? I'm ready yo test!

Unfortunately this is beyond the scope of any cycler. You need something that allows you to host an access point/hotspot with open security (typically the software that came with the wifi dongle if you used that), or router, or some other software (surprisingly, I couldn't find any SoftAP for Windows that allows for open security, but there is ap-hotspot on Linux). The other impact is that you can no longer rely on the special property of the hostednetwork on Windows 7/8 to serve as an access point (and effective nzone) while connected to another access point at the same time - you will need a second interface/adapter which can be wired/wireless, just like the way it is done on other systems.

This is a bit of a double whammy.. the simplest out-of-the-box setup on Windows 7/8 stumped and cannot be fixed without alternative/additional hardware

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP

Thing is, the fact that hostednetworks use passwords is completely beyond MACycle's capabilities. It works with Windows' hostednetworks and manipulates it to do what you want, however, forcing it to not use a password isn't one of those things.

MattDragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thing is, the fact that hostednetworks use passwords is completely beyond MACycle's capabilities. It works with Windows' hostednetworks and manipulates it to do what you want, however, forcing it to not use a password isn't one of those things.

Mmm... Basically Macycle 2.00 will work only with <9.3 systems? :-(

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
You're not exactly right, my Windows script version is working with 3DS fw 9.3+, take a look at home pass FAQ thread ;)

Please explain how is this related to hostednetwork? Users who are not relying on the hostednetwork previously for their setups, would not be affected by this issue.
That thread is so messy that I don't follow it anymore.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Please explain how is this related to hostednetwork? Users who are not relying on the hostednetwork previously for their setups, would not be affected by this issue.
That thread is so messy that I don't follow it anymore.

I just noticed thet there is still the way for the users to use native Windows method of getting homepass even with the latest 3DS firmware.
As for the FAQ thread, there is Before anything else link to my methods collections which is mainteined with the firmware updates.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I just noticed thet there is still the way for the users to use native Windows method of getting homepass even with the latest 3DS firmware.
As for the FAQ thread, there is Before anything else link to my methods collections which is mainteined with the firmware updates.

It seems that you are relying on some nzone.exe executable? to serve as the SoftAP in open mode or somehow modifies the hostednetwork? Please explain which is the case here

loco365

OP
Trophies
XP
I'm seeing the issues behind 9.X and how much more restrictive it has become. I will not be able to add it in time for V2.00, but I intend to begin researching to find a free application I can include that MACycle will work with alongside. That can be for a V2.10.

Anyways, I'm also going to begin working on adding a Legacy Mode for people that don't want to mess with current configurations. It will work in the same way the current version of MACycle does, however, macshift will not be included and will have to be added by the user.

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It seems that you are relying on some nzone.exe executable? to serve as the SoftAP in open mode or somehow modifies the hostednetwork? Please explain which is the case here

Hostednetwork is started with the password-protected SSID, so no problem with the latest firmware.

Yeah, the problem is that I have an Atheros card, so it gave me the BSOD and I can't homepass anymore with any method! :wacko:

Does it work fine with MACCycle? As long as I'll find a workaround for Atheros drivers BSOD bug it will be fixed for nzone.exe/vbs versions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."